Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake line problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brake line problem...

Here's the story thus far. Last weekend, I was driving my 4Runner and went for the brakes...and...nothing. Well, I had a little bit of braking, but the pedal was soft and I had very, very little stopping power.

Limp the thing home, park in the garage, and pump the brake pedal. Sure enough, there is a puddle under the gas tank, near the rear axle, and it's brake fluid. So, I do some research on here and find out that the rear lines rusting above the gas tank are nothing new. Rather than drop the tank, I decide to run a line over top of it, as suggested by another forum, since I don't want to risk the chance of twisting rusted bolts off, or breaking fuel lines.

I route the new line back to the LSPV (or LSPBV, as has been pointed out by abe), removing the lower line and feeding it in there. Behind the front tire, from what I gathered, the T union is the front feed line for the LSPV, and I guessed (and here's where I may have screwed up) that the frame-mounted L union is the rear brake feed. This is where I attached the other end of my new line.

I top up the resevoir, pump the brakes a bit to see if there's any pressure, and look under the truck. Huge puddle of new brake fluid under the rear diff. I trace the new line...it's dry. Turns out the old line that I removed from the bottom of the LSPV is shooting fluid out.

Here's where I need help: did I remove the wrong line? Or did I plumb into the wrong junction up front? Why is fluid still coming out of the original lower line?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RobD; 05-09-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Awww...sixteen views and no help?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
There are TWO lines that go front to back. Try the other one.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-10-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:15 PM

uh...
one is supply from the rear circuit of the master cylinder- LSPBV drops and tees to the rear wheels
one is supply from the front circuit of the master cylinder, tee'd into the front right brake
... no return ....

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-10-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
The point is he replaced the wrong line.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 PM

http://autoshop101.com/forms/brake08.pdf
start with page 13 of the PDF file.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
uh...
one is supply from the rear circuit of the master cylinder- LSPBV drops and tees to the rear wheels
one is supply from the front circuit of the master cylinder, tee'd into the front right brake
... no return ....
Yeah, I read the pdf file and I get all that. What I wanted to know was at the front, behind the passenger tire, there is a T and there is an L. I assumed that the T was the line for the front brakes coming up from the LSPBV. I assumed that the L was the rear feed from the MC to the LSPBV.

Where I think I screwed up, and this is by how I'm reading the pic on the pdf file, is that the bottom hole on the LSPBV is actually the front feed from the T union and the top hole is the feed from the L.

If this is correct, then I screwed up when I read a post somewhere else and ran the new line from the L behind the front tire to the bottom inlet of the LSPBV...

So, is this the case?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok #1 theres no line some PB Blaster and a piar of V-Grips that i've never been able to get out.... GO OEM GET NEW LINE!!!! It will fix everything... i know its kinda $$$$ but if you want to do it right with no leaks and dumb rigs then do it right. AFTER ALL BRAKES=EXTREME IMPORTANT!!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brake lines were not coming off- the fittings seized to the lines. You could turn the fitting and twist the line until it broke which was not much of an option.

If you can make the end fittings then bulk tubing is easier because you can route it any way you want. The OEM brake tubes have to fit exactly one way and can be a bear to install unless you take everything around it off.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Ok #1 theres no line some PB Blaster and a piar of V-Grips that i've never been able to get out.... GO OEM GET NEW LINE!!!! It will fix everything... i know its kinda $$$$ but if you want to do it right with no leaks and dumb rigs then do it right. AFTER ALL BRAKES=EXTREME IMPORTANT!!!!
Really? Brakes are extremely important? NO WAY!

Thanks for that important PSA.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about now that you think your funny, I hope you mess it up and your brakes fail down the road coming on a red light..... Theres your PSA. DON'T WORK ON NOTHIN YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT!!!! But whatever "Good Luck"
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
How about now that you think your funny, I hope you mess it up and your brakes fail down the road coming on a red light..... Theres your PSA. DON'T WORK ON NOTHIN YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT!!!! But whatever "Good Luck"
Thanks for contributing exactly zero to my thread. I asked a very simple question about the two junction blocks behind the front tire and you contribute nothing but internet diarrhea.

Do me a favour...next time you decide to post on my thread, keep it on topic. If you're not willing to do that, zip it. Your brain cramp is a waste of my time.

And it's "you think you're funny", not "your". Throw in an apostrophe with "there's" while you're at it.

If you're going to act like a Richard Nixon, at least be grammatically correct.