Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Light

My emergency brake doesn't work, which is no biggie because I don't ever park anywhere without leaving it in gear, but my brake light seems to come on a lot. All I have to do is mess with the brake lever, and it goes off. Also, it will keep staying on if I am low on brake fluid. And thoughts as to how I can fix this?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The low fluid's an easy fix, just add some. As for the parking brake there's probably a switch on the lever somewhere that could be loose, have a look under the dash.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add fluid, be sure you always have enough. Check your wheel cylinders/calipers for leaks if it continues loosing fluid. There is a switch behind the dash to indicate the parking brake is applied. Maybe lubricate the parking brake so it returns fully. If your parking brake doesn't work, get a FSM or Chilton's diagram and get under the truck and adjust it. It's not difficult.
Good luck
Old 03-27-2006, 02:54 PM

you may need to tighten your e-brake so the lever stays in contact with the switch
Old 03-27-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See if the master cylinder float is sinking. It will give a false low on fluid and make the light come on intermittently, or if it's completely sunk, the light will stay on all the time. (Yer cruise control won't work with that light on, either)

The way to check is to disconnect the wires from the cap of the MC that plug into the harness. See if your light problems go away. If it's that, I think it's pretty expensive to replace that cap/float/sender unit.

Mike in AR
Old 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM

Well, I don't even use the cruise control because I don't think it pays much of a use in a manual. I'm gonna get under it tomorrow and check it out. Thank you guys for the tips.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Something to consider:
In a manual, internal damage can occur if your vehicle is hit while parked in gear. Since 1990, I have always left my vehicles left in 1st w/o the e-brake on, unless I was on a steep hill. Recently, my truck was hit while parked, and it caused tranny damage. Now, I only use the e-brake, unless on a steep hill. I do live on a semi-busy street though. I also leave my Dodge Intrepid in that same spot, hoping.
Just some food for thought.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bobakazi
I also leave my Dodge Intrepid in that same spot, hoping.

Sacrificial lamb -- Good thinking !

Mike in AR
Old 03-28-2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bobakazi
Something to consider:
In a manual, internal damage can occur if your vehicle is hit while parked in gear. Since 1990, I have always left my vehicles left in 1st w/o the e-brake on, unless I was on a steep hill. Recently, my truck was hit while parked, and it caused tranny damage. Now, I only use the e-brake, unless on a steep hill. I do live on a semi-busy street though. I also leave my Dodge Intrepid in that same spot, hoping.
At my house, I park in front of the garage because it is very rare that anybody goes near it. I have a 1/4 mile long driveway, so I doubt anybody would hit it off the main road (unless they were complete idiots) and at school, I park it as far from the main building as possible without getting in trouble for being off campus. The only people that park near me are my friends from a website we are all on, but I can see what your saying. I only ever leave it in gear at school because of where I park. Like I said though, I am going to get under it today and check it out.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Ever since I moved the spare to my roof rack, I've noticed that my (E)! brake light comes on, usually after I make a turn, as when I turn out of a parking lot onto the road. I jiggle the handle and it goes off.
I'm assuming that the extra weight up high is making the truck lean farther over, and slightly pulling (or pushing) the ebrake cable... I do have about 3" of lift in the back with Downey Coils and Blocks... been too lazy to really track down why it's coming on.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 AM

Here's the way I look at it: if you are on flat ground, and not a busy area, park in gear with no brake. This will save your brake from stretching the cable. On a hill or busy street, use both.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Injohneer
Ever since I moved the spare to my roof rack, I've noticed that my (E)! brake light comes on, usually after I make a turn, as when I turn out of a parking lot onto the road. I jiggle the handle and it goes off.
I'm assuming that the extra weight up high is making the truck lean farther over, and slightly pulling (or pushing) the ebrake cable... I do have about 3" of lift in the back with Downey Coils and Blocks... been too lazy to really track down why it's coming on.
It's the fluid in your master cylinder sloshing. The float is sinking and causing the sensor in the MC to give a false low reading. Just unplug the wires coming out of the MC reservoir cap from the harness and see if the intermittent light flash goes away.

Mike in AR
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 PM

Well, I got under the rig today....thats about as far as I got. I was pretty busy helping nateluke out that I was too tired to do anything more to any rig of my own.