Brake-drag from changing only one set of shoes? - YotaTech Forums

Go Back  YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Reload this Page >

Brake-drag from changing only one set of shoes?

Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake-drag from changing only one set of shoes?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 AM

Question Brake-drag from changing only one set of shoes?

I recently changed the rear-left wheel bearing on my '88 22re 4wd pickup; I also changed the seals, wheel cylinder, shoes, and hardware kit. I set the adjuster about half-way and then repeatedly pulled the parking brake to finish the adjustment. Before I let it down off the jack, I spun the wheel and didn't notice any abnormal resistance, but after a few drives I began to smell brakes burning, and noticed that only that one wheel was warm/hot when I stopped. It's obviously dragging a little, but not enough to hold me back as I can still roll easily on a very slight slope when I left off the brake.

Could this be due to only having changed the shoes on the left side? I bled all the lines thoroughly, including from the proportioning valve, so I doubt there's a fluid obstruction.

I've never had any brake-drag issues before.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:35 AM

Have a look at the little bolt / washer setup where the parking brake goes to the rear axle. 1:2
Those love to rust shut. THen you don't have any balancing from side to side.

Also: do the other brake as well.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:32 PM

I finally got around to pulling the drum off today. I ran the adjuster in some, put the drum back on, pulled on the bellcrank and ebrake until the clicking stopped, and everything seems properly adjusted just like it was after I put it all back together last time. It seems that the adjuster is over-adjusting while driving, but I can't duplicate the over-adjustment just by pulling on the bellcrank or ebrake.

That backplate is a little warped, and there is some uneven wear on the new shoes, but I still don't understand why I can't duplicate the over-adjustment manually or how I can prevent it from happening again.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:22 PM

As previously mentioned, other side for equal adjusting/engagement of brakes. Then re-adjust.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:05 PM

The cable tension and action is correct.

I found the old brake shoes in the garage and they were like new in terms of thickness, so there shouldn't be any difference there.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 PM

I have seen problems like this in the past when the parking brake cable was not adjusted properly (too tight). I always loosen the cable then adjust the rear brakes manually through the slot in the backing plate then adjust the cable to get about 7-8 clicks before the handle comes up tight. Seems to work every time
Old 01-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ShadowTek View Post
The cable tension and action is correct.

I found the old brake shoes in the garage and they were like new in terms of thickness, so there shouldn't be any difference there.
Nope. Just loosen up that nut on the "balancer" part, where one cable splits into to. I bet the problem will disappear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake-drag from changing only one set of shoes?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: