Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake bleeding, help?

Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Brake bleeding, help?

Ok the brakes on the 89 are a little soft so I thought I'd change out the fluid and bleed them. The drivers side rear blew bubbles, no worries since it only did it after the first press of the pedal. The pass side rear had nothing. I opened the bleeder and when my buddy pushed on the pedal it sprayed fluid out around the hard line connection. Does this indicate a failed cylinder thing or maybe a pluged bleeder? I'll be pulling the tires this weekend to do the lift so would that be a good time to do the brake overhaul? Is is a pain in the rear? I've never really done any brake stuff other than replacing some pads.

On the front I couldn't get either bleeder to even move so I'll be spraying those with some Blaster over the next few days.

Any help would be great since I NEED brakes to wheel safely.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Wow, definately pull the calipers off and see what the deal is. I know that one of my little pistons is LOCKED up but I'm upgrading to the V6 calipers so I'm not worried. You should be able to buy rebuild kits from NAPA for cheap or just get new calipers. Also, make sure to bleed the back right, then back left, then front right, then front left. I don't use the LSPV on my truck so I can't remember if you bleed that first or last?? Have lots of fluid on hand!! lol!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
oh, who needs breaks

well, so you're saying fluid is coming out form where the line threads into the wheel cylinder in the rear? it SHOULDN'T leak from there unless you loosened it; the flared end in there, if properly tightened down, shouldn't leak a dop, unless A) there's trash inside between the line and the wheel cylinder, or B) the flare on the line is bugared up

did you remove the bleeder vlave all the way out by chance? that's pretty strange; that's a straight shot for fluid once you crack that bleeder valve open; brake fluid should start DRIPPING out after loosening it a little...

the fronts, yeah just soak them for a little like you are, and put a the closed end of the wrench on it, not the open end, and they should turn free; just make sure you're tuning them the right way but, in the chance you break one off, you'd actually be surprised how easy it is to get the broken stub out of the caliper, since it's a hollow bolt, and you can put an easy-out right in it

as far as messing with rear brakes, here's a tip... if you're doing both sides, DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME, so when the time comes to put the first side back together, you can reffer back to the one you haven't touched yet to see how it goes back together

Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Wow, definately pull the calipers off and see what the deal is. I know that one of my little pistons is LOCKED up but I'm upgrading to the V6 calipers so I'm not worried. You should be able to buy rebuild kits from NAPA for cheap or just get new calipers. Also, make sure to bleed the back right, then back left, then front right, then front left. I don't use the LSPV on my truck so I can't remember if you bleed that first or last?? Have lots of fluid on hand!! lol!!!
I know the order in which to bleed them but the back pass side blows out and the fronts won't move. I can get a set of V6 calipers pretty easy and planned to do that conversion anyway. What worries me is the pass side rear, I guess I'll pick up a set of rebuild kits and do the back end when I swap in the calipers on the front. I would never have thought about it but the last time I was wheeling I was up on a ledge and the damn pedal would creep to the floor and I would start to roll down the rocks. NOT what I want to have happen.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

am I going to have to come up there and bleed those brakes fer ya they don't call me superbleeder for no reason, lmao
Old 05-21-2009, 04:45 PM

well it might be the hard line connection, i had a leaky rear cylinder and thats inside the drum ...kinda odd that it would leak from the hardline, anyways if you get a wheel cylinder you can just put that in or do the whole chibang, but that might cure your hardline connection deal
Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
am I going to have to come up there and bleed those brakes fer ya they don't call me superbleeder for no reason, lmao
Get your ass up here. I'll trade ya! Fix these brakes for me and I'll teach you how to wheel with that open diff'd new motor'd street demon (aka "mall crawler", other wise known as "Jeeper") you're building!.

I do wish I had someone here to help this is a pain.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I know the order in which to bleed them but the back pass side blows out and the fronts won't move. I can get a set of V6 calipers pretty easy and planned to do that conversion anyway. What worries me is the pass side rear, I guess I'll pick up a set of rebuild kits and do the back end when I swap in the calipers on the front. I would never have thought about it but the last time I was wheeling I was up on a ledge and the damn pedal would creep to the floor and I would start to roll down the rocks. NOT what I want to have happen.
heheeheh!! I figured YOUR knew how to bleed brakes, but some where, some one is reading this going, huh, well I'll be....

...or not.

I meant rebuild kits for the calipers, but honestly for the rear cylinders I'd replace the whole unit. I don't remember them being that pricy. x2 with 'bleeder about one side at a time on the rear. If you've never dealt with drums, well, it's a real party.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would come help you but I will be out of town this weekend This will help as far as the bleeding part.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...leedingbrakes/

Good luck!
Robb

Last edited by nmtoy; 05-21-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Nice link by nmtoy! In there answers my question about the question with the LVSP!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Get your ass up here. I'll trade ya! Fix these brakes for me and I'll teach you how to wheel with that open diff'd new motor'd street demon (aka "mall crawler", other wise known as "Jeeper") you're building!.

I do wish I had someone here to help this is a pain.
oh, that's cold... that was below the belt man...
Old 05-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Jeeper"......them's fightin werds!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
"Jeeper"......them's fightin werds!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Hahahahahaah!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

that was the good ol days, back when cartoons were cartoons
Old 05-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Hmmm...I thought it was because you were a hemopheliac.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobD
Hmmm...I thought it was because you were a hemopheliac.

lol

no... it's actually a weird story where my screen name originates from, but that's neither here nor there
Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
well, actually, its here now, so spill the beans...

or is it bleed the beans???
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe he's 1 of them Twilight vampire dudes.....
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Dude ricky, get a powerbleeder.
No pun

You'll save yourself alot of pita..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake bleeding, help?