86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Body Dmg, how much to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome responses!

My brother has a friend at a local body shop w/ a good rep so i might get it over to him to give me a quote.

I wasnt behind him when he hit me. I was behind him but off to the right. if he had backed straight back he wouldnt of come close to hitting me which he did for about 1/3 of my truck then decided to turn the wheel and turned his rear-end right into my truck. it was at the entrance to the drive-thru which is in a parking lot and is wide and turns 90 degrees. He drove about 8ft from where he was to actually impacting me. Straight back then at the last second turned. "What the f$%k " were my exact words lol. his were "oh man im so sorry! I didnt see you!" heh

Im fine w/ them totallying my truck as long as the buy-back is cheap and i end up with a good sum of $. I have no plans to sell the truck its not worth it for any reason. I could probably get $4k for it going by what i saw when we were searching for a truck like mine for my bro a month ago. Which isnt worth selling the rig for how much work and $ ive put into it.

ha didnt know u could total a truck twice, heh

Last edited by drew303; 12-28-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:43 PM

how does insurance handle a totalled car/truck title?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
belive when they total it its status becomes a salvage title.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:22 PM

yeah, in washington it'll become a salvage title,

now if your asking how your insurance company will handle it when you try to get it insured after it's a salvage title, if anything they will view it as "worth less money", so your insurance rate might go down
Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
wow you think that much? I was thinking high like that to =/ Yeah I definetly don't want them to bondo it over and spray on some similar red paint. It's going to get fixed right, or not fixed at all. I can live w/ the dent if the payout gets me my SAS =p

but if it can be fixed right id rather have it fixed since the truck is straight and this is the only dent (other than one other tiny ding) in the whole truck. All the trails Ive been on and missed every tree n rock by millimeters is something im proud of! no dents! =p hehe

take it to the body shop, get a quote. then take the quote to the kid and tell him this is how much its going to cost to fix, but your willing to not go through insurance for his sake because having an accident on his record at his age will kill him in the long run. and work out something in cash.......

then come to me now that i am an authorized TG dealer and we'll work out something for you SAS parts

i had an old man pull out in front of me and put a dent in my front 1/4 panel. the first words out of his mouth was lets not tell the insurance, just tell me how much it'll cost..... 1300 bucks later i still have the dent.

Last edited by Tofer; 12-29-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtlinna3vze
if i was going to fix that itd be about $500 bucks.. give or take.. most paint shops and stores have a gun that will give you a paint code for any faded color.. but blending will work just fine.. the top dent i could probly walk out with my paintless dent tools.. the bottom would get pounded out as flat as i could get it.. then depending on how rippled it still was id use filler primer or fiberglass to smooth it out.. then paint..
most insurance companys will go to the top dog in town to get a quote.. someone they can accredit. so they may say $1500 or more.. id just take whatever cash i could get form the insurance and have someone else fix it.. shop around..

now if this was michigan.. if you were parked. they have to pay for everything!!! it could be a 67 ford pinto and someone hit it when it was parked.. they could end up buying me a new 67 pinto.. lol.. on the other hand if you were behind the wheel in line at the drivethrough and he just backed up and hit your bumper.. thatd be a ticket for you for fallowing to close.. i love laws..
gotta love those no fault laws !!! thank god indiana dosen't have that !!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 PM

im on the take the money and upgrade your truck boat, that dent isnt really that bad.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by notanymore
im on the take the money and upgrade your truck boat, that dent isnt really that bad.

me to =)
Old 12-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Yea jus take the money, and then go hitt he other side with a hammer untill you have an identical looking dent then just call it stock
Old 12-30-2007, 09:59 PM

say you got it wheelin'. chicks dig body damage, and guys with fat wallets ;D
Old 01-15-2008, 11:38 PM

Alright I finalllly got ahold of a claims adjuster... a different one than I was first appointed... whos voicemail said she was on vacation till the firday after new years but never got back to me then out of the blue a new claims adjuster calls me Penny.. oh she had a sexy... she was nice.

She asked for a diagram of the accident scene.. to better visualize how the vehicles collided... its hard to understand how a car infront of me backed up and t-boned me. I faxed that today and got an estimate through Lacey Auto Body which USAA (the kids insurance) approves of. Ive heard good things about this body shop but im gonna get another quote from another shop tomorrow that all my buddies (know the owner) reccomend.

ok heres some snapshots of the quote:

Page 1

Page 2

They took a bunch of pictures

The quote makes no sense to me, i dont understand how they plan to repair this. I didn't have time to sit and have the dude explain it all to me (he seemed bored with his life and job) becauase i had a flight to catch at 5.. replace the TOYOTA nameplat? ... tail lamps? huh? what? .... whatever i guess .. maybe someone here can explain it? plz?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM

he may be planning on cutting that skin off the side of the box and weld a new one on.. thats all i can figure. plus hes going to have to blend the front fender with the door. and the tailgate with the side of the box. so hes going to have to remove the makers and decals..

Last edited by jtlinna3vze; 01-16-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the cash! I see you have an AM radio with seek..... nice.

Rob
Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 AM

he may be planning on cutting that skin off the side of the box and weld a new one on.. thats all i can figure. plus hes going to have to blend the front fender with the door. and the tailgate with the side of the box. so hes going to have to remove the makers and decals..
So they're going to repaint half the truck?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
So they're going to repaint half the truck?
basicly.. lol.. without a paint code ID gun they wont beable to get an exact match.. so the surrounding area will be blended to make the change in paint color not so noticeable. its the hardest part in body work.. i hate it..
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM

To quote steve miller "Go on take the money and run."
Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by -MUDSLINGER-
battle scars, add character!
I agree battle scars do add character, however this isn't a battle scar. It is a cheap shot suffered by your vehicle. If I bang up or dent my vehicle on the trail it is one thing, but if it is banged up by some punk kid then it is a whole different issue. I just finished matching up my factory paint and air brushing a dent that happened one weekend, so that it would be covered before winter and then in December some dude not paying attention punched a quarter of the corner panel in above the tail light and broke my mirror. Mirror ok whatever I can buy a new one, but damnit I just grinded out my trail damage and made it like "new" haha to me and now you go and negate my work because your an idiot. He had the audacity to say he didnt do it, but after a bodysplash from me off the top rope, he agreed that he hit it, but that "it wasn't bad anyways considering my vehicle..." and he was driving a jeep grand cherokee, which just added to my mind blowing frustration. That is why I am eventually going to do a full gnarly exo with huge jagged spikes around the body .... so that nobody can just hit and walk away unscathed.... They will remember that ahhhhh yes it was a TOYOTA 4RUNNER that i ran into, which and shredded the entire driver's side of my jeep grand cherokee to pieces..... I will get out instead when that happens and say, " hey man no problem dude, I dont mind, it didnt hurt anything, but man that sure does suck about your vehicle, maybe you should pay more attention to driving instead of whatever else you were doing.... HAHAHAHA
Old 01-21-2008, 02:39 PM

Thats exactly what they do at the body shop i work for. . .