86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blown Head Gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Head Gasket!

So Im driving hone today and I notice white smoke barreling out of my exhaust. I stop and get out to a flurry of coolant smelling fog. Cruising the site I find out that I more than likely blew my head gasket. Question is, what do I need? i.e. tools/parts ect. Ho-w much time? What else should I replace while I'm in there? Can I drive it still? its my dd. I already have on order a weber WK746-38 38 DGE. The truck is an 87 toyota 4x4 with around 250,000 miles on it so I guess it was time.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 PM

How's bout' that search button right up there ^ ?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pull the breather off...

drain the coolant... remove the back water hoses... I leave one end attached...

3, 14mm nuts hold the exhaust manni flange on... I remove the Distributor, PS bracket and alt in the truck... Then you're done with the D-side... motor mounts are easy to get to then.

I remove the battery, then the AC compressor and spin it around and rest the pulley face down where the batt sits, and bungee cord it there.

Starter, fuel lines... uhhh...

Put the engine at TDC... Remove the valve cover... hidden bolt alert!!! It'll be in a pool of oil at the very front of the head...

Water line on the P-side of the timing cover...

Remove the fuel pump (if carb) and timing gear bolt. Wire or twist tie the chain to the gear and remove...

ADD break! I'm sure I missed some... I'm sure someone will chime in on some recommendations... But man, at 250k, you need more work done than a head gasket...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dgfriend707
How's bout' that search button right up there ^ ?

no doubt... and search "FSM" while yer at it...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanx tried, that will should get me started on the job along with my haynes, and that more work you were talking about is also what I wanted to know about.

Dgfriend707, All this happened late last night and searching through posts with outdated pics is not an option for me. It is my dd and the sooner I get it on the road the better. No time for research unfortunately. This is only my second thread I have ever put up so I'm sure I wont get labeled a reposter.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich87toy
Thanx tried, that will should get me started on the job along with my haynes, and that more work you were talking about is also what I wanted to know about.

Dgfriend707, All this happened late last night and searching through posts with outdated pics is not an option for me. It is my dd and the sooner I get it on the road the better. No time for research unfortunately. This is only my second thread I have ever put up so I'm sure I wont get labeled a reposter.
Research would be better than asking questions one by one as they come up. Research will show you what's to come and what to expect, and you can formulate questions around other things you have found in other threads.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 AM

No time for research? You better pay someone to do it then. Some people take months to do this repair.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM

I just got done with this job on my 91 22re. You Haynes manual will get you through the general outline of the head gasket replacement, but it lacks some critical torque specs in my opinion. I would make sure to get a factory head gasket, and I found that engnbldr.com has a package deal that I used that consists of:
New timing cover
New water pump
New oil pump
Timing set with metal guide
and various gaskets
for about $139.00

The kit was listed on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...item5ad7514b0c

The rest of my parts I ordered from Toyota including:
Head gasket
Thermostat
Thermostat gasket

Everything else I got from my local auto parts store. I also had my head presure checked and resurfaced.

good luck!!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanx for your input carguy, looks like a good deal. So that kit plus the others you mentioned should be replaced while I'm getting my head checked out?

My thanx to the Colorado boys also, I didnt know I wasn't on a site for asking questions to gain knowledge and save money. All you mechanics and car guys are on this site swapping engines, rewiring, and talkin shop and losing a guy like me who started tinkering around under the hood less than a year ago after I got back from overseas fighting a war.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 PM

Well, Ummm, .... Rich87... Looks to me the Colorado boys WERE answering questions, and yes, WERE imparting knowledge AND saving you money. The head gasket replacement is not something to rush through, and with quarter million miles on her, whatever else you might attend to while your at it. Seriously think about doing the job right instead of quick. Either do the research and gather your needed info, or pay someone else to do it. "No time for research unfortunately" ??? Knowledge IS POWER. Sounds to me you want to do it yourself. And you'll be better off in the long run for that. Beg or borrow a ride while your fixing your own ride. Barter or steal. Walk more, if that's doable. I've read a few posts here of people who got caught up over many weeks or months with their engine repairs when they thought it would be a quick weekend. They all said the experience put them leaps and bounds ahead in power and confidence. Pretty much everyone on this site will give you more help than you ask for, but they want to help you do the job right.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Your two cents in my pocket Nogarage, still here, still reading. Just don't like being dismissed like this isn't something that can't be done quickly with the right motivation. Mine is the fact that I live in a huge city and am in a competitive medical program and I need to stay mobile. Not trying to sound cynical, but if something needs to get done, and I have a time frame to do it in, then it gets done. Back to 92 toys' write-up, on pg 26.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nogarage explained it well. Researching first is excellent advice. Don't take it the wrong way. You need to know what you're dealing with and what to expect. Even with that, your inexperience will be a hindrance. It has been for me.

I'm now 5 months into a 22R rebuild, my first time doing anything this involved, that I originally guessed would take maybe 8-10 weeks. I've encountered many questions and issues along the way that aren't mentioned in manuals. Many haven't been answered here, but I appreciate all the input I've received. I could do another rebuild after this a lot quicker. Certainly more efficiently, and probably also better. You can't expect to whiz through something as a wrenching newbie the same as others with more experience and knowledge.

Replacing a head gasket can take anywhere from several hours to many months. That's the reality. If you haven't done one before and have little experience working on vehicles, don't expect to knock it out over a weekend.

The manuals don't mention all the little unexpected problems you'll encounter working on these older vehicles. Little things that set you back. Stubborn gaskets that laugh at gasket remover and giggle at razor blades, stuck, stripped or broken bolts, threads that need to be chased that you don't have a tap for, fitting things that are supposed to fit but don't, ordering a part you didn't realize you needed, etc. Work on anything and you'll soon run into one of these or many other obstacles.

You seem to be asking to be spoon fed a list of tools, materials, and instructions of all contingencies for replacing a head gasket, while not being amenable to searching for information posted previously about the job.

Replacing a head gasket without looking at anything else on an engine with 250K miles doesn't make much sense, IMO. Might consider a full rebuild, swapping in a rebuilt long block or whatever. Depends on its condition and what you want to do.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 02-27-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 AM

No hard feelings Just a suggestion... Do a LOT of reading though... I just finished mine, GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:40 AM

I must digress, after using a stress less Saturday morning to pour over threads I have found all my questions and concerns answered. I apologize to all for being crass, I have had little sleep and lots of work lately, and when I found out how to delete this thread it will be done.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 PM

#1 Welcome back
#2 don't rush I did I had tried to just replace the head gasket I did not replace the head bolts big ol mistako I now have a truck sitting behind my parents barn needing the head gasket replaced again...
#3 the hayns manual is ok I posted up a long time ago a link to the FSMs use them and ditch the hayns
#4 you should replace the timing chain oil pan sealant and water pump also have the head checked.

it sucks to do things twice
Old 02-27-2010, 10:39 PM

My thanx to the Colorado boys also, I didnt know I wasn't on a site for asking questions to gain knowledge and save money. All you mechanics and car guys are on this site swapping engines, rewiring, and talkin shop and losing a guy like me who started tinkering around under the hood less than a year ago after I got back from overseas fighting a war.
Thank you for your service. Good luck on your HG repair.