Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Block Surface??? check out these pics

Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Surface??? check out these pics

I was about to put a new head gasket (rock) and noticed how corroded this was around the water ports. they come pretty close the edge of the gasket seal as you can see.

I dont want to put on the heads like this, but thought id see what anyone else thinks...Im not sure if this warrants pulling the block and having it surfaced...ouch

SIDE NOTE: DO NOT BUY MOTORTIME ENGINES!!

this rebuild block only had 600 miles on it from MOTORTIME and blew a gasket right around one of these corrossion marks.. I had to buy a new head for one side and had the other surfaced. head bolts looked re-used (cleaned and painted on the tops to look good) and where missmatched, cam bolts where missmatched with some even having different head sizes. cams and head scored out badly from metal debris in oil journals (I broke the engine in well/changed oil 4 times/cleaned oil cooler when changed block).
Attached Thumbnails Block Surface??? check out these pics-1.jpg   Block Surface??? check out these pics-2.jpg   Block Surface??? check out these pics-3.jpg  
Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 PM

and not where there is still gasket on the block...i know...its where I cleaned it up and its eaten out a little around the hole...
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM

I would call them up and raise holy hell if it were me. If they 'rebuilt' that block (assuming I'm reading you correctly) there's NO WAY it should have that much crusty coolant in those passages after only 600 miles, and there's no way they should have let that block go with that much rotted out of the surface of those passages.

Chances are if you had to replace one of the heads (I'm assuming due to warping) then they were never truely 'flat' to begin with. I'd clean up the rest of your gaskets real good, and check the block with a straight edge and make sure it's good. With these engines, you only have iirc ten thousandths of an inch between both the head AND the block to play with to make sure both are ture and flat. If you have to take more than that off of it, then you're gonna have issues.

I'd get ahold of that company and express your frustrations with a 600 mile engine.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I have not had too many heads off...but I don't care for how this looks. Having the worn part around the ports may have been what caused this. I can't say 100% on this. I'm not sure if this can be ground down that much? I hope I'm wrong but I think you have some issues here... Any kind of warranty with this motor?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 PM

these guys are hopeless...took me 3 months to literally haggle my deposit back after he quoted 10 days. found out after too many people have had the same thing happen with this guy ARLEY LEGHORN OF MOTORTIME...he had a previous company (speedline or speedgroup or something) shut it down, then opened motortime.

im not going to waste my time. the contract says if there is a problem, you can send it back at your charge then they will fix it free and send it back on your dime...thats not going to happen as I would not let them touch anything again!

just spreading the word so no one else gets worked as bad as I did...pay more and BUY LOCAL is my advice and lesson learned.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
How far are they from you? Call the BBB, don't let them get away with this...especially with that many different parts in the motor...Grab them by the short and curlys!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Raist hell and don't back off. Granted I'm a tech at a Toy dealership, but we could NEVER let something like that go back to the customer even after a regular HG job or V06 recall. That rig needs a block, plain and simple. I wouldn't run that with any kind of confidence that it would actually get me where I'm going... and the back home again. There's way too much rotted out of there, even after replacing the head gaskets, it's just gonna do it again. You could prolong it a bit with a better gasket, new head bolts, etc, but the HG's from toyota will run you about 75-100 bucks, and the list price on the headbolts are like 12 bucks a piece, and there are 16 of them! Plus the rest of the gaskets that will have to be replaced from tearing the engine back down again, the knock sensor pigtail (I don't care if the engine only has 600 miles on it, if I am in there, I'm putting a new one on while I'm there) and the aggrivation of having to deal with all this BS. I would raise hell and get everything in writing.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM

it drains the happiness to see my truck sitting sased/locked/built$$$ and no wheeling on it with the top of the engine off collecting dust and money whilst the summer dwindles away.

here's what I had the engine looking like before i put it in https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-turd-182094/

and how the sas turned out...so sad.
Attached Thumbnails Block Surface??? check out these pics-.jpg   Block Surface??? check out these pics-b.jpg   Block Surface??? check out these pics-z.jpg