Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Blew a Rod? What better time for a 4.3

Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew a Rod? What better time for a 4.3

So, my [superbowl] weekend pretty much sucked - except seeing Giants #89, Kevin Boss play (went to HS with him in philomath, oregon, so that was sweet)

First, being the impatient guy I am, I got my 15x8 procomp steelies, well i wanted them on RIGHT NOW.. Sears was the only place open. Went to have them put the new wheels on (15x10 white wagon wheels! ya!) and guess what... they sliced 2inches from the bead toward the treads... retards! Then they try and send me 100 miles north to Albany for the replacement (BFG M/T, 35x12.5) on a set of used 33s in the rear! Are you kidding me!? FU! Have you seen the SNOW we've been having in Oregon. Flippin idiot, if I have to use 4wd, well there goes my gears, etc. So finally after arguing with the store manager, they finally sent a guy to get the tire.. 6 hours later I pick it up... I start to head home (120 miles from my brothers house) i get ONE MILE on the interstate and BAM!!! engine shuts off, burning oil smell, and not to mention when I tried starting it again, LOUD knocking sound.. cool. Blew a rod? Timing chain? Not sure. But a few days before I gave the go ahead to start the 4.3L swap. No point in spending the money to rebuild a turd of a motor anyways.

Anyways, after making it home that night at 1am, then driving our F550 south, trailering the now dead 4runner and dropping it off at the shop... I am stuck driving my sisters 91 toy. corolla with matching lady bug floor mats and steering covers - hot right? i know.

So as is sits, tomorrow I am bringing in $4k as a deposit for all the parts, motor, tranny, etc, needed. Cool thing is, after all this is finally done.. ill basically have a new rig.

but still. the weekend was actually worse than I made it seem to be.. but STILL! Now my 22re is only good to be used as a core charge unless i strip it for parts and sell individually.... anyone want to come pick up a 22re, 5sp in corvallis oregon? I also have another 22re block as well.

Ill keep updates on the swap. Lookin forward to her being done.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:37 PM

yo do you have any updates on your progress with the swap. i am doing one myself, the motor, trans, ecu, harness, ect. is actually being delivered to me right now...$300 cash, sorry had to. anyway plan on diving right in tommorow after work. so alittle guidance would be much appriciated! TIA and good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:49 PM

that sux! I had to drive my GF's lime green 2000 beetle while I rebuilt my T100

Very excited to hear about the swap
Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 91RockRunner
anyone want to come pick up a 22re, 5sp in corvallis oregon? I also have another 22re block as well..

how much you want for it? im local so i can pick up, what other parts do you have?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:13 PM

actually... i didnt have time to do the swap myself so Im having it done... yes, i said HAVING it done... meaning its STILl not freakin done... Im not very thrilled that it is taking so long. They are to the point that they need something with the oil filter adapter now.. not sure what the heck, but it should be running this week.

I will update it when it is done with parts i used and pics they said they were going to be taking.

So we'll see.

And fyi... thats CRAP! that you got your whole drivetrain for $300!!! What yr? Mine came from a 200 GMC Envoy that was wrecked during the icy seasons with 105k on it. and i dont think I want to say how much it was :x
Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
how much you want for it? im local so i can pick up, what other parts do you have?
Ill take to the guys tomorrow and ask if they were going to buy it from me as well as the tranny, but if they only want the motor then Ill sell you the tranny and the block that I have in the garage, it runs, but i think has an oil leak - Im taking to my brother now on the phone he said it has 150k on it, it runs fine, but the timing chain guide broke inside of the motor and the peices fell down into the oil pick up. Replace the oil pick up assemby he said and it will probably be just fine. Ran Fine and didnt knock just replaced. Its not a long block, just the short block is there so use your parts on it. you have a 22re right? Or the 3.slow?

but ill let you know tomorrow when I talk to them. PM me your cell if you want me to just call you and tell you over the phone and arrange possible pickup.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was mostly interested in the tranny/t-case. how much $ if they dont want it?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 PM

99 Jimmy. rear end wreck totalled it. 120,000. the guy that sold it to me owned a very good friend of mine a favor, so i got hooked up, anyway we will all benefit from the good times to come.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 PM

ahh, yeah, i have just the tranny, Im using my Toy Tcase so I can have the option to double if I want in the future. B&R and Pick a part quote the tranny for $550 & $600 - IF they dont want the tranny - ill sell it to you for $400 because i dont want to deal with it sitting in my garage and trying ot craigslist it or ebay.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by geTBeNt2NIghT
99 Jimmy. rear end wreck totalled it. 120,000. the guy that sold it to me owned a very good friend of mine a favor, so i got hooked up, anyway we will all benefit from the good times to come.
Thats crap!... only because i didnt get a deal like that

Ya - I got mine from a wrecking yard - couple shinny pennys.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM

i hear ya, its all good though, you got it now. mine has the 700r4 tranny, any advantage or disadvantage versus the 4L60E?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
i was mostly interested in the tranny/t-case. how much $ if they dont want it?
I called the guys doing the swap and i DO have the original transfer case from my 4runner. SO I have the original 5sp tranny that came with the 22re and transfer case (23 spline, chain drive, with the forward shifter in the transmission) If you want to look at it or pick it up, PM me and we'll arange a time to come check it out. $500 for the both of them.

Originally Posted by geTBeNt2NIghT
i hear ya, its all good though, you got it now. mine has the 700r4 tranny, any advantage or disadvantage versus the 4L60E?
You can read about it thruout here, but the 4L60E is basically the same just with electronic upgrades... newer version of 700r4
Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 PM

okay... so... update... imagine that.. ITS NOT FREAKIN DONE!!!! >:O I could have done this myself in the time that its has taken theses guys. It "SHOULD" (if i had a nickel for every time ive heard that excuse, I'd be living a little better) - anyways... so lesson learned, DONT use an Envoy motor with the vortec, major headache there with computer issues.

If I knew it would cost this much OR EVEN TAKE THIS LONG, I would NEVEr have done a 4.3L swap, I would have bought a built LCE long block and drop it right in.

I didnt end up using the transfer case, 5 speed tranny, or the motor - Im actually thinking its just a timing chain that broke now, but not positive.

SO if anyone is interested in the 5 speed, or transfer case, still married, I have them for sale - $350 obo - local pick up only. Email (i wont check PM's as often) me for details. Its a 23 spline, chain drive, tcase.

Also the complete 22re (everything still attached as if it were still in the 4runner) 190k.