Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Black Smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have already figured this out, but it sounds like you AAP (auxiliary accelerator pump diaphragm) is leaking. Mine did the same thing, idled like crap when cold, black smoke, but after it was at normal temp it ran like a champ.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:37 AM

when my aap had a pinhole in it, it was just drinking gas like crazy, and black smoke when cold as well.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 AM

i haven't figured it out yet but i need to sometimes it gets really bad to were i have to rev my truck to get it to not kill over it seems like it has a super loopy cam but what do i need to do to see if the aap is leaking or any vacuum leaks i know there is a couple ways im just not sure and i was reading on another website and saw something about valve float how do you tell if this has happened to you?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM

So hears a breakdown of my black smoke symptoms.
Start it up in the morning and after a few seconds it would start spewing black smoke out of the pipe. Puffing awayc So bad that I would put down cardboard so my driveway didn't look like I smuggled some high class fireworks in from WY. Obviously it was getting too much gas. Some times if I came to a red light when the engine was still cold it would just die, horribly too.
After it would warm up a to normal temp the smoke would mostly go away, completely if I stepped on it through a few gears. No stalling, ran as perfect as it should have.
I thought the same same that you are thinking; my carb is screwed, that last bonehead mechanic f'd with my idle, vacuum leak, etc.
Read my manual and did some searches and the AAP was the culprit.

The AAP diaphragms one and only job is to provide extra fuel when the engine is cold and under stress, eventually a pinhole develops and causes fuel to leak (runs richer). Once the engine gets up to normal temp the AAP is bypassed, that's why the smoke goes away.

Went to NAPA bought a Carb kit $60 and just installed the AAP diaphragm (any one want a carb kit? minus aap). Cleaned the outside of the carb since the air cleaner housing was off, changed the plugs/wires. Started it up and it was fixed.

Really the AAP is simple it would take me 30 minutes or less now. three screws, take off the cover replace diaphram reinstall cover. and really for $60 ($15 if you can find just the diaphram) it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps
Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 PM

i am still trying to figure this out but it has gotten slightly better in one regard but it has gotten worse in another. now my throttle is sticking pretty bad i looked into it and my cable is not the problem it is the carb the little wheelish looking thing that connects the cable to the carb is not returning to the proper position when you let off the throttle you have to move it back to get it to return what would be the best way to clean or fix this problem without removing the carb or doing any major work?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would guess choke, but a badly clogged air filter makes black smoke too but it prob isnt that. my dad was driving my truck one day and i was behind him and my truck was blowing black smoke a little and more when the gas was on and when i get home i checked my air filter and it was dirty as hell lol. like i said prob isnt but would hurt to look i guess. thats my .02
Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 AM

jeez, why do your tires look insanely huge on your truck???
Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM

my air filter is brand new and it was doing it before i switched it out... i think it did help just a tad but now its barely smoking??? but now my throttle is sticking.....

oh and by the way i did a little photoshoping of my truck and thats why they're so huge... by the way does it look good??
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Yeah it looks good. But it will definitely rub. lol
Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 AM

You an spray it with carb cleaner and move it back and forth by hand , to see if you can tell where it is catching , it may need to be bent a little

GOOD LUCK
Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ya know..to see if it's your AAP...you could just unhook the vacuum line from it (and plug it..on both ends) and then see if your problem persists....at least it wouldnt be the saem..it might still be a little screwed up if it does have a pinhole..but it should make a difference..

uhhhm..and a vacuum leak would cause a LEAN mixture..because more air would be entering the motor than fuel.....since there is not computer to compensate for the extra air going in then the truck doesnt know to increase the amount of fuel..

search around here theres quite a bit of info!!