Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

big fuel leak problems...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation big fuel leak problems...

i have searched and searched but cannot find any answers anywhere...

There is a leak in my 1992 4runner v6 that is on and off... i cannot find it but it makes EVERYTHING smell like gas... i replaced one and had toyota look at my other injectors last year... cause i had this problem last year, but i could see gas pooling up. i cant see anything here. i think it might be the cold start injector but that would make the engine idle really rough if it just kept pumping fuel into it... exhaust smells and looks fine. engine just smells like gas and cant find the leak.

ANY IDEAS WOULD be great... toyota OFFERED... to replace the 5 old injectors for $1600!!!! i am a student! no $$$.... i have had nothing but problems with this engine, i want to do a swap but i dont have the time or the bulk of money or the space or anything to do it.

any help please...
-andy
Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Injector o-rings maybe?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 PM

where is the fuel gattering at?

Check the fuel rails, the fuel pulsation dampener(mine leaked and caused a fire), charcoal canister,etc.. the location of where it is pooling up might help.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 on the pulsation dampener.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:48 AM

+2 on the pulsation dampener. That is where mine leaked. one guy on here had a engine compartment fire because of it. definitely look for it.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with the above. Pulsation damper is my first suspicion, then I'd guess an injector o-ring.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 AM

alright guys thanks a lot i will look inot that. i just cant beleive it would be the o-rigns, i just raplaced all of them when i inspected the injectors not more than a year ago...

thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, you didn't say that....
Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM

ok so i was driving around today... checked everything no leaks and the gas smell was gone... completely from everywhere... drove it around this morning started fine about 7 times. then i start it again about 3 hours later and it smells. go to get gas because my economy is great with this added leak... turn off the car then start it after fueling then the smell is gone AGAIN... no clue what is going on but it has been doing this for a couple of days now. checked everything 3 times over both when it smells and when it does not smell of gas.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM

If you are smelling gas you have a leak. I would search and find the leak ASAP unless you want this happenign to you.

Now i circled the area where the fuel pulsation dampner is located. You might want to check there, there is a smaller plastic cap over the end, i would pop taht off adn make sure the screw is still inside of the dampner. The problem with mine is that little screw backed out which caused the fuel leak, which caused the fire.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

the fuel dampener was gushing fuel today... glad it didnt start a fire, looks rough dude... im sorry.

replacing taht and sending injectors to witchhunter to get cleaned and tested as well... replace some gaskets and be maticulous when im doing this. im sure it will be worth it in the end...

anyone know of anything else i should replace or look at while i am down there? upgrades? performance?

the intake manifold is the most fun thing to take off on these trucks... im not even old enough to get some nice cold refreshing beers... i guess water and my small ass garage are it!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by toyotarunner92
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

the fuel dampener was gushing fuel today... glad it didnt start a fire, looks rough dude... im sorry.

replacing taht and sending injectors to witchhunter to get cleaned and tested as well... replace some gaskets and be maticulous when im doing this. im sure it will be worth it in the end...

anyone know of anything else i should replace or look at while i am down there? upgrades? performance?

the intake manifold is the most fun thing to take off on these trucks... im not even old enough to get some nice cold refreshing beers... i guess water and my small ass garage are it!
check your valve cover gaskets if they are leaking. if they are, replace the gaskets, if not, leave it. I did one of mine because it was oozing. well, it still oozes, just not as much. I don't think it was worth it personally, but w/e. and i here ya on the beer part. lol
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by toyotarunner92
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Where was the fuel pulsation dampener leaking from? The screw in the end?
Those are expensive buggers, so i believe we just ended up red locktight'ing the screw back in and it held for the rest of the time i ran that POS 3.0L.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM

toyota told me my valve covers were leaking but i didnt think much of them becuase people say they fix them then they jsut leak anyways... i eventuallly wanna put in a nother engine too. but this engine still has to last me another 3 years thourhg college!

i think im gonna take lots of pics and make a new thread about this becuase this little dampener is dangerous, it will just let people know.

as for the unit i think i am just replacing it. i need my engine for a long time even though it is a POS... i hope a 3.4 comes to view!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
While you've got the plenum off...

If you haven't done it in a while, replace the pcv valve & its rubber grommet while the plenum is out of the way. Check the hose and make sure it's clear and not hard or cracked.

Give the throttle body a good cleaning with throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner.) Get the back of the throttle plate, and both the upper and lower air bypasses. Avoid getting cleaner on the tps - solvents will kill it. Finish with a drop of 3 in one oil on both ends of the throttle plate shaft & work the throttle a bit, then soak up any excess with a rag. I recommend using toyota plenum and TB gaskets, rather than the cheap fel-pros the parts stores tend to carry. Verify that IDL & E2 have continuity with throttle open .020" but don't have continuity at .031" open. Otherwise adjust postion:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...93throttle.pdf

Test resistance on your ECT sensor and Cold Start Injector Time Switch while they're accessible.

You might also check the EGR tube and if gunked up, pull it out of the plenum and clean it out - will need a new gasket for that, too.

Sounds like fun
Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 PM

wow i am in the midst of cleaning out my plenum and it is disgusting, got some throttle body and air intake cleaner and some wire brushes atatched to a drill

its really bad in there, most of the stuff is ok, i will post spme before and after pics though becuase this stuff is terrible!

i got a new pulstaion dampner from toyota, got it home and the threads were completely wrecked... i waited 2 days and have no car to get to and from work, and i have to wait again till monday... toyota bothers me sometimes but i love there trucks!

so pics coming soon!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[THREAD RECYCLE]

So yesterday I go and fill up my 4Runner, I drive home and I can smell gas...
Sure enough its dripping like crazy. I though it may just be leaking from the filler pipe, but after inspecting it, no leaks there at all. Everything on the tank is BRAND NEW. Its leaking from one of the fuel lines, but only when the tank is full. I drove 100KM just to burn off some gas so it would stop leaking. I must have screwed up royally, and either didn't tighten the clamps on the rubber hose enough or it needs an additional clamp.

This really sucks because I just put the tank in last month, and dropping it is so frustrating. I think I'm going to get a shop to do it, since its such a P.I.T.A. (as long as its under two hours and it just needs another clamp)

Any ideas what line it would leaking from? My guess would be the main fuel line coming from the pump.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the main fuel line from the pump rust out on me, for about 15k i used some sealant, but then it got too big so I snapped it off and used fuel inj. hose. I did it by mangling the metal around the access hole. Easily fixed with a hammer, pliers, and duct tape.

Good luck!