86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best IFS lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AH64ID
Well std BL vs std susp lift the susp lift is going to provide a 4" increase in center ground clearance, and the equated approach/dep from 4" raised components. A 3" BL will not effect the center ground clearance at all, and you only get the amount of the BL, 3" max, at the approach/dep angles. So even if you raise the drivetrain the 3" the BL allowed you still are 1" lower than a 4" susp lift.

IME the added leverage of a body lift creats a more unstable situation than a well designed susp lift of equal height.

I wouldn't put a 3" bl on anything.

The reduced COG from "just" a bl and raised xfer case/tranny and gas tank is a huge advantage in the tough stuff.

I've wheeled a lot of the really, really tough trails (rockcrawling at some it's finest) around S. AZ (I've posted some photos up here before) and I can tell anyone, from firsthand experience, that a lower COG works soooo much better than a higher COG, even if one gains a little in breakover angle.

I've gone from 6" + 2" to 3.5" and 1.25" and the difference in both off road and on road driveability was and is simply amazing.

The vehicle is a ton more stable at 3.5" + 1.25" (running 35's with both setups) than it was at 6" + 2".
My vehicle performed much better than the vast majority of others that we've wheeled with.
Going done in size makes a much more stable vehicle in off camber areas (we have a ton of 'em) and for steep climbs and descents (we have a ton of those also).
Smoothing up the underside helped a ton also.

When I went to 6" + 2" I was not happy with the performance, off and on road.
When I dropped done to 3.5" + 1.25" and pushed the xfer case/tranny and gas tank up the difference was unbelievable.
The vehicle would do the same obstacles, easily, that presented problems before.

There is a ton to be said for a low COG, even at the expense of a little break over angle.
My vehicle was ofter one of the "smaller" ones on runs, yet I climbed up and down stuff that gave a lot of the others massive headaches.
Note that all were setup pretty evenly (other than suspension height), that is all were locked front and rear and running 35's or 37's.
It was pretty fun to crawl over something with the 35's, that were giving the 37 "boys" fits

Fred