Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bearing Puller Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearing Puller Tool

Hey guys, I live in Austin, TX and wanted to see if anyone has made or bought the tool that is needed to press out the rear axle bearings. I am thinking of making one, but if anyone has one close by it would be nice to borrow it, give you some money, and return it. Image is an example of how this thing looks. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks yall!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I'm not close by, but i have purchased one that I would loan you if we were close. Its kind of a hassle, but if you really want to mess with paying the shipping both ways you could borrow mine.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts

make it as heavy as you can, flip it over and drop the end with the axle sticking out on a chopping block or stump several times, after you cut the retaining ring of course. there's more pics on my thread and on other repair/buildup threads.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 PM

I will have to see what the shipping is from Florida, might be worth it, I have contacted a guy parting out a similar year model, seeing about getting the axle housing and making one. @akwheeler, I have heard of people cutting that ring, but also nicking the axle, I would like to avoid cutting if i can. Not sure if that is an option but I have a press, I just need to get something to get a good hold on that hub.

Last edited by Trav French; 06-13-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 AM

Careful cutting with a die grinder with a cutoff wheel has always worked great for me, you just need to get close to the axle with your cut and use a chisel and hammer to break the rest of the way through, see my buildup thread for a better idea what I'm talking about. I'm not sure how to add a link, I'll have to work on that skill later.
This same setup in the picture can be modified with a couple pieces of angle iron welded near the inboard end of the axle to bridge your press.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I tried slamming mine on a board, did not work for me BUT, I did not grind the retaining ring though and I did not have that big heavy contraption that akwheeler has on mine. In the end, I purchased a tool off ebay, in fact, they are still being sold: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AXLE-BEARING...wIwliw&vxp=mtr

I figured by the time I bought an axle and cut it up and welded pieces on it, I'd be better off just buying this ebay one.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM

For something I am only going to use once in a great while this was a perfect solution, I don't have a press and I was also able to cut a crescent out of the end and drill a couple of holes to make it double as a flange holder while torqueing down my pinions. now it can sit in the corner of my shed for a couple of years. I hope. and it didn't cost me anything but time and some scrap metal.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 PM

Yeah im gonna have to see what my options are, I saw that on ebay and thought it was more than i wanted to spend for this one time, shipping may not be too terrible if we can get it in a flat rate box, if not then it wouldn't work. Thanks for the ideas guys! Gonna see about getting this one on saturday, if that falls thru i may do the shipping.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:48 PM

Here's all it takes to get the lock ring off

finished off with a hammer and chisel and it will snap like in the picture with no evidence on the axle shaft