Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad Time Switch - Can I ground Cold Start Injector?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Time Switch - Can I ground Cold Start Injector?

In short - my cold start injector isn't firing in cold weather but works when you put 12V to it. Guessing the $$$ time switch $$$ is faulty. If I run a constant ground to the injector will it ONLY fire when cranking or would it constantly add fuel while running? Would the truck have problems starting in the summer months?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 AM

Ok, found this on a Celica forum. Sounds like the CSI gets power from the starter circuit meaning it would only fire when the starter is engaged. Which is good. I'm still curious if running a ground to the CSI would cause starting issues in the warmer months or if some extra fuel for a few seconds really matters when warm.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Have you actually tested the Cold Start Injector Time Switch? http://web.archive.org/web/201411140...ne/97colds.pdf

If you ground the (correct) terminal of the CSI, it should only spray when cranking. When the engine is not cold, it will still spray, and it will probably flood out the engine. If it's really cold (and you have to crank for a while), there will be nothing to shut off the CSI, and it may flood it out again. Or leave so much unburned fuel in the exhaust that you could have a problem.

But you could try it.

Me, I'd test the component first. If it failed, I'd spring for the money rather than risk getting stranded on a cold/cool day.

89462-20040 about $154
Old 12-12-2016, 09:40 AM

Found one on Amazon with free next day shipping for $119 so I bought that. Toyota wanted $208.

For reference, the manufacturer PN (not Toyota's) is Beck Arnley 158-0484. If you search via the Toyota PN it adds $100 apparently :rolleyes:
Old 12-12-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Often times, Toyota components are bulletproof. The problem is in the way they are wired or assembled.

Even IF you have a perfectly-good CSI timer switch with clean threads... the thread in the port where CSITS screws into (see pic below) needs to be cleaned down to shiny bare metal because this is how the CSITS is grounded on the vehicle. I used the steel bush brush used to clean the inner surface of the battery terminal
While you're at it clean all the temp sensors (like I just did):
CSI Timer switch,
Gage Temp sender
ECU temp sender
Bi-metallic Vacuum switching valve (sits on same block but above the CSITS and ECU temp sender)

Name:  CSI_Manifold_Thread_zpsmqj26gih.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  91.9 KB

Originally Posted by Mucci
In short - my cold start injector isn't firing in cold weather but works when you put 12V to it.
Originally Posted by Mucci
Found one on Amazon with free next day shipping for $119 so I bought that. Toyota wanted $208.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-12-2016 at 12:11 PM.