86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Axle Width Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle Width Help

I have a 92 pickup and I need help finding a wide enough rear axle to match my front. With the long travel kit on it now, my truck is about 80" wide in the front while in the rear it is barely even 72". I was wondering whether the tundra, tacoma, or T100 have a wider rear end axle assembly then my 92 4x4 one. Typically, I see most people using a currie built ford 9" axle on their trucks, but I think that may be over kill for me, not to mention I don't have the $3500 or so one of those cost. Anyway here is a picture of the rear:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am currently running King Double bypass shocks with remote resovoirs as well as 62" deaver race packs and a custom 9" shackle. I'm planning on swapping out for a 3-link or 4-link set up in the near future though.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 AM

Nice, I have the exact same setup but im running smoothies in the rear.

As for the axle width:

T100's are 4" over per side.
Tacos are like 1" over per side.

If you run the T100 axle the rear will match the front width perfect and you'll keep the same lug pattern.

What kit do you have up front?
How much droop (from ride height) are you getting?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM

My kit in the front is a custom one designed by inland trucks as with the rear caging. The T100 axle sounds very promising, is there any differnces that I should know between like the 4x4 or 2x4 axles? Would I need to make a custom mount or run a different driveshaft or connection? Thanks for your help. I'm not to sure how far of a droop I get from ride height. I'm just curious, but what are you running in the front, I am getting sorta bored with what I have and I have money to blow so I was thinking about changing it; then again my front end is practically bullet proof and has never let me down so I don't know....
Old 09-20-2006, 09:40 PM

I think the T100 needs to be setup for spring under. What you'll probly have to do is get the U-joint end off of a T100/Tundra and have a custom drive shaft made, the drive shaft will also need to be a bit shorter (I'm pretty sure the 3rd member is longer). 2x4 and 4x4 are the same. Give the guys at http://www.calminitruck.com/ a call, they can hook you up with an axle and answer some questions (I think they are doing installations too).

I haven't got to my front end yet. Just completed my rear end and now im in the middle of a 3.4L swap. I was saving up for the ESB 18" kit with spindle but now im either going with the H-A kit or the TC race kit... I really want TC to run the 4x4 spindle/hubs/brakes-C/O & Bypass, but the H-A kit has a good price with same travel #'s, custom steering, 2WD lift spindle, etc. We'll see how long I can save my money for.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 PM

The total chaos race kit looks pretty sick, I was pretty dissapointed that I couldn't run it on my 4x4, but I hear they are coming out with the Gen III kit soon, so that should be good for me. If you had the money I would go with the TC kit, but the HA one doesn't seem bad either. The TC one is going to cost a pretty penny though, like what 5k for parts alone + the cost of shocks and labor right? I bet it is worth every cent though Now going back to the subject, I was trying to avoid a spring over axle because I heard it cause more axle wrap then a spring under. I am kinda bummed that I need a new drive shaft made considering I have a custom two piece one already... Is there any difference between the T100 axle and the Tundra axle? I mean if I can find a tundra axle I might as well try that too right? Do you think I can run a deaver leaf pack under one of those bad boys? Anyway thanks for the help.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking at at a wider axle after I go long travel in the front.. I researched axle widths and whatnot... here's the website... http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/ if you scroll down just a bit, you'll see Toyota axle widths. I'm thinking about going with an LC rear axle... between '95 and '97... Those have disc brakes and you can find one with an E-locker... Slee offroad has some complete axles.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 PM

Sweet thanks for the info, I'll look it up
Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, I didn't finish my thought about the LC... hahahah gotta love short attention spans! Anyway, the LC axles are approx. 2.5" over on each side. I think that would be better, because if you notice, in stock setups, the front is nominally wider than the rear. Example (Taken from site) : 86-95 front IFS~ 59", rear axle~ 58.5"
So if your front is 3" over stock on each side, the 2.5" over per side from the LC will keep it near stock proportions... But, I have heard some talk about the pumpkins on the LC axles are a tad bit offset?? I think the LC's are 9" or like 8.75" pumpkins..

*EDIT I just noticed that the 63.5" on the LC dimensions is for the front axle...??

Last edited by Keggo; 09-20-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:02 PM

I see.... well I don't exactly know how much wider my truck is, but all I know is that it is 80 inches wide in the front from one tire sidewall to the next. The rear is only about 73 or 72 inches wide from sidewall to sidewall. So I hope a T100, LC, or Tundra Axle will solve my problem, I am just worried if it will kill my rear suspension geomtry.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm... all you can do is mock it up when you get a wider axle... and see. I don't see that it would be that big of a prob with your suspension. You don't know until you try it out though.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:21 PM

You will have to weld on spring perches under the axle. I don't think the 62's are sopposed to be run over the axle. Your geometry will stay the same, just make sure you'll be able to tuck those tires under your bedsides.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:26 PM

I hope so. Well maybe if I run a tundra axle, I know deaver makes a 10 leaf race pack for tundras, maybe I'll be able to rig that up. Or do you think it would be to heavy duty or something?