86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Trans Bands

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Trans Bands

I have a 94 4runner 3.0 with an auto trans, a while ago i lost my reverse but not completly, at idle she'll roll back on flat ground but when i get in the gas she just reves up and nothing happens. So i was wondering if toyota used bands and if there were a way to adjust them without taking the trans out. thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess would be no, seeing as how it's an electronically controlled transmission...

but I could be wrong...

I'd man up and either fix the tranny, or go buy a parts truck for the tranny and keep or sell what's left over...

A band-aid will just be that much bigger of a migraine at the moment you don't need it most...

Say stranded on a beach, 75 miles from the nearest point of entry for a 4WD tow truck and town to haul it to, to get it fixed...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-30-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:51 PM

well form what i understand sometimes the bands just loosen up over time causing a slip in the transmission and that you could tighten up the bands to eliminate the slipping, but i could be wrong to. and i was hoping to get some in site about auto trans from people
Old 03-31-2010, 06:44 PM

Here is a link to the FSM for the A340 auto trans. It will tell you how to troubleshoot and decide if you can adjust or repair. Good Luck,
Bugs
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you go forward? If so does it go into all gears including overdrive(highway speeds)?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:18 PM

no the only gear i can't go in is reverse, thoughts?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno if you have trans exp. or not but the firs thing i would look at(if you have the fluid full) is the valve body on the bottom of the trans containing all the shiftvalves shift solinoids. Possible hung-up one for reverse. I've not seen an auto trans yota apart in a while but if you can get ahold of a diagram for the valve body then pull if off and find out which one is the reverse valve(s) and see if its stuck or broke, broke spring maybe, check balls stuck. If you know a good trans shop that acctaully does that part of diagnosis to take the valve body off and inspect go there. Most trans shops are going to try and replace your whole trans instead of checking small stuff.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 AM

Ya i know some places i can take it to once i pull it out that can look at it for me so in the summer i think im gonna do that and see what they say
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM

The only band on your transmission is the "Second Coast Brake". This is only engaged when the selector is in "2". It provides engine braking and would not cause your reverse problem.

Sounds like you could have a bad "First & Reverse Brake" This clutch only operates in reverse and in 1st gear only in the "L" position.

To check it, do the following... Put the gear selector in "L" then drive forward. If there is evidence is slipping, you know that is your problem.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 AM

alright i can do that, but its not gonna happen till mid may : ( im at school while the 4runner is sitting at home
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

I have the same problem except my reverse works fine but it slips in any forward gear. if i put it in D, it will roll forward, but it slips as soon as i give it any acceleration. it doesnt slip at all in reverse. i have a 3vz-e with the a340h trans.

the problem started and got gradually worse after i pulled a dude in a civic out of a sand parking lot. I got stuck and had to wiggle out and shifted from R to D a couple times. Nothing too crazy as i know this is hell on a a trans. The problem started right after this. At first it was a slightly noticeable slip and now it will only roll forward at an idle speed in first. Like it doesnt try to catch at all. I checked the fluid and its fine. It doesnt matter how long I let it warm up.

any ideas?

thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by bwise
I have the same problem except my reverse works fine but it slips in any forward gear. if i put it in D, it will roll forward, but it slips as soon as i give it any acceleration. it doesnt slip at all in reverse. i have a 3vz-e with the a340h trans.

the problem started and got gradually worse after i pulled a dude in a civic out of a sand parking lot. I got stuck and had to wiggle out and shifted from R to D a couple times. Nothing too crazy as i know this is hell on a a trans. The problem started right after this. At first it was a slightly noticeable slip and now it will only roll forward at an idle speed in first. Like it doesnt try to catch at all. I checked the fluid and its fine. It doesnt matter how long I let it warm up.

any ideas?

thanks!
Sounds like you have a burnt out forward clutch. If you remove the pan, you will probably find bits of clutch material in the bottom.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by rustypigeon
Sounds like you have a burnt out forward clutch. If you remove the pan, you will probably find bits of clutch material in the bottom.
that sounds like the problem. took the pan off today and there is definitely some material in there...

is this an expensive fix?

what all is involved in replacing the forward clutch?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM

I live in Southeast Ohio, I just had my A340F rebuilt, had all the forward clutches replaced, the throttle cable housing was broken and the tranny was starved for fluid, total cost was $400 for me to drop it off and pick it up.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by bwise
what all is involved in replacing the forward clutch?
The transmission needs to be removed. Then the front 1/3rd of the transmission needs to come apart. The forward clutch is not too hard to get to once the transmission is removed and the valve body is off. It sits behind the oil pump, the overdrive assembly and overdrive support assembly.

A few seals would also have to be replaced, along with the forward clutch plates and probably the steels.

This is assuming that the forward clutch is indeed the problem. Given the information you provided me, I can say that it is most likely the culprit.

Keep in mind that other components may be nearing the end of their usefull life. If I started finding other clutches with significant wear on them, I would probably do a full rebuild while I had it apart.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Did anyone ever solve the problem of now reverse? I have the same issue.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Kind of an old post but I'm having the same issue on my 92 Toyota Pickup and would like to know if there were any updates to this.

Reverse will sometimes fail, transmission is leaking a minor amount of fluid, and I'm not sure if this is a contributor but my emergency parking break light lowlit when I clearly don't have it activated. lights up brighter when I do use it.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ADiaz562
Kind of an old post but I'm having the same issue on my 92 Toyota Pickup and would like to know if there were any updates to this.

Reverse will sometimes fail, transmission is leaking a minor amount of fluid, and I'm not sure if this is a contributor but my emergency parking break light lowlit when I clearly don't have it activated. lights up brighter when I do use it.
For the brake light being partially lit, I had that problem, just unplugged the brake reservoir fluid level sensor. I've driven enough vehicles without one that I don't need a light to tell me my fluid is low. Apparently, my sensor was failing. Brake light still illuminates with e-brake application. The trans issues, I don't know a lot about, only ever screwed with manuals. Sorry.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:46 PM

lets open this old thread back up, sorry guys!
I have the A340H in my 4runner.
When I put it in reverse it acts like its still in park, it wont go anywhere no matter what.
When I put it in neutral, it acts as drive but will only shift to about 2nd gear.
I can put it "D" and it drives forward great.
4wd also doesn't engage.
I have adjusted linkage and done the filter.
Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2017, 04:09 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 92runna
lets open this old thread back up, sorry guys!
I have the A340H in my 4runner.
When I put it in reverse it acts like its still in park, it wont go anywhere no matter what.
When I put it in neutral, it acts as drive but will only shift to about 2nd gear.
I can put it "D" and it drives forward great.
4wd also doesn't engage.
I have adjusted linkage and done the filter.
Any ideas?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/a340h-92-4runner-298835/

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Bands