63.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Assist me in determining what to do about my 4runner going forward

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assist me in determining what to do about my 4runner going forward

I've been mulling over options for a couple of days now about what to do about my runner. I checked my oil and as usual I've lost about a quart and a half in about a month and I can tell it's coming from somewhere on the front of the motor and probably the pan too. I had the rear main seal replaced when I got a clutch last summer.

So I was thinking, I know I need to pull the timing cover and probably the oil pan and replace some gaskets, but what else should I do while I'm in there? Current timing chain has about 66,000 miles on it. I've been wanting a camshaft too, so maybe do that.

Other things that need to be addressed is rebuilding or replacing the transmission. I would likely get one from marlin. As it is now, it grinds going into any gear while moving and you have to hold the stick in gear for 1st and 3rd.

Also, my 22re may not be long for this world. It has some pretty advanced wear on the rod bearings, not to mention probably everything else. My mechanic a year or two ago said it could go anytime and that I shouldn't take it on long trips. (Proved him wrong by taking a July trip from Nashville to Dallas and back with four adult males and luggage ) But it is just a matter of time before it needs a rebuild. Only has 206,000 though.

In light of all that needs to be done to the motor and transmisson I don't know if it's worth it to put any more money into them

OR

Instead of fixing it, I could go ahead and start sourcing parts for a 3.4 swap and drive it with the 22re until it dies or I've gotten everything ready.

I don't know much about 3.4 swaps, one big thing is that I would want a manual transmission. Would I have to keep my w56 or find whatever manual came behind the 3.4? If I did this I would want to go ahead and do dual cases. Would I use my existing case as one or are they completely different?

The problem with either is I don't likely have the skills to do the rebuild or the swap. I might be able to with specific detailed instructions and someone to ask if I get stuck.

I'm also stuck in an apartment for now, so I was thinking I might have to see if renting a storage unit to do the work is possible. Idk if they would even want you to do something like that in there. Would like to minimize down time because my options for other transportation are a 50cc scooter or my dad's GMC sonoma, which he would be driving full time if he sells is FJ80 like he want's to.

Anybody who's done either have rough cost estimates?

I know, I know, TLDNR.

Everybody likes pics so here are a couple.

Last edited by bob200587; 03-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
3.4 swap but I voted bacon

:wabbit2:
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

:wabbit2:
I think bacon will win the election by a landslide. I wish I could vote for it tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
x2. haha.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM

I kinda like the 3RZ swap. Haven't done one but if I decide to do a swap it will be that.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
I kinda like the 3RZ swap. Haven't done one but if I decide to do a swap it will be that.
If I'm going to go to the trouble of a swap it's going to be for a 6 cly or larger.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Can i vote for both 3.4 swap and eat bacon at the same time? lol
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM

Powered by bacon

I love bacon!

But I voted to rebuild the 22re. If you don't think you have the skills for an advanced swap, then keep life simple. The simpler the swap, the sooner you're back on the road, and the 22re is an excellent motor. From what I've seen, not much about the 3.4 swap is simple. I'd suggest finding another motor and tranny to rebuild while your current drive train is still functioning. Put in the cam you want, etc. That way you're only "off road" for a couple of days once your current engine lets go, and then you can get off road again fast!

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

BTW guys, you can vote for more than 1 poll choice.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
i vote to have a bacon induced coma and you might have a vision of what todo! hell its also a good excuse to eat bacon. id say stick with the 22re, maybe find a good running parts truck or runner and swap everything you need into your rig. craigslist?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerGuyDotCom
I love bacon!

But I voted to rebuild the 22re. If you don't think you have the skills for an advanced swap, then keep life simple. The simpler the swap, the sooner you're back on the road, and the 22re is an excellent motor. From what I've seen, not much about the 3.4 swap is simple. I'd suggest finding another motor and tranny to rebuild while your current drive train is still functioning. Put in the cam you want, etc. That way you're only "off road" for a couple of days once your current engine lets go, and then you can get off road again fast!

Good luck.
I think that I have the ability, IF I have instructions. I also have good critical thinking and reasoning skills, so I think that a 3.4 swap might not be impossible for me, especially if I have ample time to do it, and of course I can always get help here.

If I were to get another 22re I might consider getting a long block from LCE. Given my limited abilities, lack of space to do the work, and time constraints, I think that might be easier than pulling and rebuilding the 22re already in it. But, there's still the transmission to deal with.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bobby_duce
i vote to have a bacon induced coma and you might have a vision of what todo! hell its also a good excuse to eat bacon. id say stick with the 22re, maybe find a good running parts truck or runner and swap everything you need into your rig. craigslist?
I indulged and had a 3rd slice of bacon today.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM

I think a long block is an excellent idea! If you can find a cheap used tranny and have it rebuilt, then you'd be ready for a relatively quick swap... as for work space, try putting an ad in Craigslist asking to rent someone's garage for a weekend. Just a thought.

As much as I like the idea of the 3.4 (more valves and better breathing, more power...) I still see the swap as fairly intimidating; and I do a lot of my own work. You have to transplant the entire wiring harness and computers and sensors. And apparently the exhaust can be a bit of an issue; I've been told that the stock 3.4 exhaust drops down on the wrong side of early rigs, interfering with some frame member. Custom exhaust work may be required.

But, I am not talking from experience. If you have the time, and the perserverence, I think the 3.4 is a great engine! It would allow you to drive to the store faster for more bacon.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerGuyDotCom
I think a long block is an excellent idea! If you can find a cheap used tranny and have it rebuilt, then you'd be ready for a relatively quick swap... as for work space, try putting an ad in Craigslist asking to rent someone's garage for a weekend. Just a thought.

As much as I like the idea of the 3.4 (more valves and better breathing, more power...) I still see the swap as fairly intimidating; and I do a lot of my own work. You have to transplant the entire wiring harness and computers and sensors. And apparently the exhaust can be a bit of an issue; I've been told that the stock 3.4 exhaust drops down on the wrong side of early rigs, interfering with some frame member. Custom exhaust work may be required.

But, I am not talking from experience. If you have the time, and the perserverence, I think the 3.4 is a great engine! It would allow you to drive to the store faster for more bacon.
Good things to consider.

Maybe it's because I'm so used to the 22re with 4.10s and 31s that I just want more power, that I'm even considering a 3.4 swap.

I think part of it might something about a newer engine that is appealing, but I think If I got a junk yard 3.4 I would probably want to rebuild it before dropping it in anyway, just so it's fresh.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Old 03-06-2012, 02:22 PM

3rz. I believe it's electrically easier to swap in another 4-cylinder if that's how your truck was previously set up.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

I got a warm fuzzy feeling today thinking about having a supercharged 3.4 under the hood.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how could you say no to this!
http://youtu.be/dgpgTErU3ro
but if u are up for the challenge and have the money its a no brainer... bacon(3.4)! but if u don't have the know how or time a rebuild would be just as good the 22re is the best motor, if u had a 3.slow thats a different story!

Quick Reply: Assist me in determining what to do about my 4runner going forward