86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

anyone running ted's stick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone running ted's stick?

finished the cam install (and thanks to a broken driver's side guide a timing chain replacement at 60K!) this morning and she fired right up, idled smooth and jumps to 3500 now.
anyway, is anyone running the 268C torker from engnbldr with headers and 2.25 exhaust, and if so, did you advance the timing beyond the normal 5 degrees? run any better? did you take a beating on the mileage?
just thought i'd ask before it did it. thanks to all, especially ted.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 AM

bump.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by javadoody
finished the cam install (and thanks to a broken driver's side guide a timing chain replacement at 60K!) this morning and she fired right up, idled smooth and jumps to 3500 now.
anyway, is anyone running the 268C torker from engnbldr with headers and 2.25 exhaust, and if so, did you advance the timing beyond the normal 5 degrees? run any better? did you take a beating on the mileage?
just thought i'd ask before it did it. thanks to all, especially ted.
Any updates on your setup? What is your driving style with the 268?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:09 AM

I'll let ya know in a couple weeks. Just put mine in. Started her up and she has a massive coolant leak. Look'n forward to seeing the performance & mileage myself!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by langzaiguy
I'll let ya know in a couple weeks. Just put mine in. Started her up and she has a massive coolant leak. Look'n forward to seeing the performance & mileage myself!
I can relate to that. The coolant leak thing. I had a leak after swapping head and cam. Had to have the manifold milled.

I would have been running that 268rv cam, but they sent me something different. so I sent it back and ordered a crane cam that's a bit hotter.
It's idle isn't real smooth but it runs great otherwise. Mine likes a little more timing, I'd say to experiment by advancing it a bit and see if it pings under load. If so back it off a little.

As far as fuel mileage. when you make modifications to your engine, within reason, you are increasing it's ability to burn more fuel. so if you can keep your foot out of it it shouldn't kill the mileage.

But that's hard to do...
Old 12-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Where was your leak coming from? You cracked your manifold?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by langzaiguy
Where was your leak coming from? You cracked your manifold?
I did extensive modifications to my manifold which included a lot of welding, this warped the manifold which I tried to get straight by block sanding it but it was not good enough. so I ended up with a leak.

You can see details of these modifications at this thread My Latest Project
Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 PM

Ted recommends to run it at stock settings but said he has moved it 1 degree to 6BTDC, I have mine set on 8BTDC right now and it seems to be doing great...no pinging, my gas milage has dropped from 20mpg to 19mpg but i have been a little frisky with this new setup, i will let you know more as i get it broke in
Old 12-16-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by hodgepodge79
Any updates on your setup? What is your driving style with the 268?
forgot all about this post, didn't get any responses earlier.
keeping my foot out of it is the real problem--sounds and runs great. about 21mpg now, with hubs in, highway speed, in and out of 4x4. won't have a chance till spring to check a highway tank with hubs out the full time.
this thing has been purring. right now temps in the single digits so firing up requires clutch in till idle smooths, takes about 10 seconds. then she idles great. runs great. purpose of the cam was to get to the high country quicker, and easier, on these 4 cylinders during the winter (boarding season). that's worked out fairly well. 3-3.5+K she pulls strong, in any gear. i wanted to drop the torque curve down a bit rather than having to wind it out to pull the passes.
i've got the timing at about 8 as well. quite a few posts lately about running up in the 12-15 BTDC range, may try adding another degree or two before the winters gone just to check the difference in performance and mileage. switched to iridiums too, but more for longevity. have to be careful if i advance too much it may take it's toll on them with the extra heat. i'll check with ngk before i get too carried away.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS1968
Ted recommends to run it at stock settings but said he has moved it 1 degree to 6BTDC, I have mine set on 8BTDC right now and it seems to be doing great...no pinging, my gas milage has dropped from 20mpg to 19mpg but i have been a little frisky with this new setup, i will let you know more as i get it broke in
yeah, ted told me 1-2 degrees more advance. no pinging for me either, that's why i think i could go farther yet.
tires and engine age can play a lot into the equation as well. my destinations are only 30's, and believe it or not this 94 only has 62K on it. so my mileage dropped from 23+.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by javadoody
yeah, ted told me 1-2 degrees more advance. no pinging for me either, that's why i think i could go farther yet.
tires and engine age can play a lot into the equation as well. my destinations are only 30's, and believe it or not this 94 only has 62K on it. so my mileage dropped from 23+.
I have Ted's 270rv cam.Ive had it in my rebuilt motor for 3 years.Runs really well on the low end,but going heavy on the throttle it reaches highway speed pretty well.The unreal part of the cam & motor set-up is that Im having 18-22 mpg on my 4:56 gears with my small 30 x 9.5 tires.I have 31 x 12.5 tires also.I also use regular gas.
Im using the LCE cam adjuster sprocket with my distributor timing set stock.The block is bored out .020 over with Ted's Street RV head & 82 Supra AFM.The truck is now my daily driver and I mostly drive it to work and home.