86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone running a snow plow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running a snow plow?

I am looking for some photos of anyone running a snow plow on their 86-95 trucks. I bought a used fisher plow for my 94 pickup and cannot find any manuals or schematics for hooking up the hydraulic pump, controls, etc. If someone has one could you take a few photos of your setup, just the joystick mounts and under the hood with the pump hookup? Also, what size belt do you get to run the pump? Don't need any photos of the plow or push plates.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Have you tried fisherplows.com web literature, maybe a support contact there.

It would also help if you told or showed us exactly what your are working with. We are a pretty resourceful bunch but I don't know anyone here that has a crystal ball that works properly at a distance of more than three feet let alone cou tless miles.

I'll give it a shot anyway..

You have a mechanically driven pump and don't know what size belt. You take a string, or approximate sizes belt or hose and wrap it around the required pulleys then make a mark where it over laps and measure.

You have a ram, this gets hydrolic pressure on both inputs from a switching solenoid. It won't matter which end goes to which high pressure connection other than the control maybe reversed. The only important bit is the pump input to the gang box (solenoid). You can determine this input port by flowing a low pressure to it like air while activating the accompanying electrical switch's..

Just a random shot in the dark from a thousand miles away, or maybe across the street =D
Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for lack of information. I am in Killington VT and its a 94 pickup with V6. The plow is an old style fisher with mechanical pump belt drive. I did try all the web literature and fisher plows company. I know how the plow works, my issue is I would like to know where the pump mounts onto the truck and which belt drive line it runs off of? I can figure out size of belt, but thought I would ask if someone already knew. I am also looking for the location to mount the joystick controls and actuator (not sure of name). The joy stick controls have two rods that go through the firewall and connect to actuator.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
If the underhood space on your V6 looks like the (lack of) space on mine, you are going to have a challenge finding a place to put a hydraulic pump. There simply isn't any room, unless you don't have, or remove, the air conditioner compressor. (I guess the need for air conditioning while snowplowing is fairly minimal).

Have you considered running the plow hydraulics from your power steering pump? It should work, and adding the t-fittings necessary to plumb it in would seem to be easier than mounting another pump on the engine.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 AM

Thanks RJR,

Yes, no room under the hood with the V6.

I will look into possibly plumbing it out of the power steering. I do have a AC compressor which I am assuming it doesn't work anyways. I live in high elevation and its never too hot. Ill see if it might fit in its place also.