Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another turn key; click; hummmm...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another turn key; click; hummmm...

Hello,

I have an 89 4runner with a 22re from an 86. I just finished with months of rebuild. I used this forum extensively throughout and the members have been extremely helpful and informative... I hope the trend continues. This is my first Toyota and first engine rebuild.

So what's going on?
Alright. I turn the key and I hear the solenoid click, then the fuel pump humming. volt meter dips but, not much.

What I have checked/tried:
12.3V from battery all the way to the starter
cleaned grounds and connections
tapped starter with rubber mallet
tried to jump it
made sure I had all 4 grounds in place
tried jumping the solenoid over the battery cable and solenoid
had the starter checked at AA
turned engine with wrench to ensure its not binding

anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Have you checked your solenoid contacts too? The ones inside the solenoid. The small voltage drop makes me think you are not getting current through the coils of the starter.

There's a fellow on here that's really good with the starting system. I bet he will reply at some point. You could try to search for his tutorial on diagnosing starting problems. Sorry, I forget his handle atm.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 PM

So problem solved although I am sad to say I wasn't able to pin point the problem. I was in the process of opening my starter to check the contacts. I read another post with a video that outlined this. But instead of bolts there are screws holding mine together. After 20 years they were shot so I just got a new starter.
Now I am cranking but no fire. next search...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by punchy11
Hello,
I have an 89 4runner with a 22re from an 86.
So what's going on?
Alright. I turn the key and I hear the solenoid click, then the fuel pump humming. volt meter dips but, not much.
Originally Posted by Sturmcrow
Have you checked your solenoid contacts too? The ones inside the solenoid. The small voltage drop makes me think you are not getting current through the coils of the starter.
Exactly!
If starter solenoid (piggybacked on the starter motor) clicks, but voltmeter dips very little. Probability is high that your solenoid contacts are bad, not completing circuit to starter motor, not loading the battery, hence little voltage drop.

What I have checked/tried:
12.3V from battery all the way to the starter
Where did you measure the voltage? Directly where thick wire connected to solenoid? Got pics?

cleaned grounds and connections
Good!

tapped starter with rubber mallet
What happened? Did it solve the problem?

tried to jump it, made sure I had all 4 grounds in place, tried jumping the solenoid over the battery cable and solenoid.
Did this solve the problem? Consistently?

had the starter checked at AA
What did AA find out? God starter? Bad starter?

Turned engine with wrench to ensure its not binding
Good!

Originally Posted by punchy11
So problem solved although I am sad to say I wasn't able to pin point the problem.
This problem is usually intermittent. At first I thought it was my Clutch Safety Switch, so I went for months with clutch safety unplugged and always started using the Clutch Safety Cancel Switch. Then one day it happened again. That's when I dug deeper into schematic and found this flaw in the way Toyota wired the stating circuit of the 86-88 Runners. Not sure if this exists on other gens so would appreciate if your could check yours.

Fix is here

Even if you do not have a cranking issue, IF your system has this wiring flaw, doing the easy fix will help extend the life of your ignition switch.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-25-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Sturmcrow
Exactly!