86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another "my blower don't work" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another "my blower don't work" thread

ok guys first off..i have searched..LOL

took my Blower Motor Resistor out and it looks like this

so as you can tell..it's obviously time to replace it..so i went to the parts store but all they had in stock was a resistor for a 3spd fan, i got it thinking oh wow..i'll lose one speed big deal...well i plug it up..and it still don't work..so now i'm just pissed LOL!! i really thought that would fix the problem LOL

well i tested the wires going to the resistor today to see if i'm gettin power..and guess what...i'm not?!?

with the switch on i have no power in any of the 4 slots on the plug...now the question is..SHOULD I have power there?? i'm assuming yes..lol

so could my switch be the problem??

now keep in mind..this happened while i changing out stereo headunits a few months ago..one second everything worked..turned my truck off..minute later fired it back up..and the truck wouldn't idle and the blower motor wouldn't turn on.

i have checked all of the fuses..all are good..have replaced the relay behind the glove box with a working one (even tried a few different ones to be sure) and still nothing.

how would i go about testing the switch???

and does anybody have any other things i should check first??

Last edited by camo31_10.50; 01-04-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will likely have to take the dash apart to get to it but you have already done that im assuming. btw that pic you refer to up at the top of your post doesnt have a pic at all. just thought you should know.

you should be getting power to it. if im right the resistor basically transforms the 12 volts into different volts(depending on speed setting your on of course). so i would check the switch. basically, take it out and hook an ohm reader to it and see if all the electrical parts have continuity.

good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 PM

yea i just remembered to post the pic LMAO

and no i haven't taken the dash apart..im hoping that this issue can be resolved without taking it apart.....but i think i have too to get to the switch don't I....
Old 01-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Other common fail point is the relay for the fan, which should be accessible from the glove box, after you remove the vinyl flap part (if you still have it).

Should be on the left side of the glove box.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM

well..my relay doesn't click..so i guess it could be bad..

i replaced it wil 3 different relays..and none of them fixed it...of course that was before i replaced the BMR.....
Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spin the fan by hand and see if it's really hard to turn. If it is, it may be time to take the motor apart and clean and lube it. The motor brushes WILL fall out and they are a ROYAL pain to get back in, but it can be done. I had a brand new BMR only last about 8 months because the fan was drawing too much current. Send 12V directly to the fan, it should turn on HI. When you take the power off, it should take 3 or more seconds to spin down to stop.

There aren't actually bearings, it just rides in the stamped metal bottom plate. Mine had a bunch of built up dust and greasy crap down there that was really holding it up.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 AM

definite possibility with the switch diagnosis--just replaced mine after it finally gave up--it had been going out for the last 8 years, however--since it's in the area of the stereo there's surely a possibility of messing it up--take a look at it, might be very apparent if you see the marks of extreme heat on it--also, did you happen to reconnect any wires you weren't sure of when you did the stereo replace?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM

no i didn't connect any wires that shouldn't of been connected...i only have a handful of wires that i mess with under there..the 4 sets of speaker wires..switched 12v..constant 12v..ground..RCA plugs that plug into the back of the stereo for my amp..and that's it..

there are however about 3 or 4 plugs that aren't plugged up behind my stereo..idk wtf they go to..i know of them goes to the cig lighter (small single wire) and then the other 3 or 4??? if anybody thinks they might be able to tell me what they go to..i can post pics lol

i'm gonna take a peek at the switch here perty soon, hopefully today, but i gotta get my 4runner moved into the garage first
Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM

would i be able to wire up my blower motor DIRECT?...like with an on/off switch.

that way i can atleast have HI heat LOL..would it work??? would i need to run a fuse...relay er somethin??

i just want some heat for a little bit..
Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM

you dont HAVE to fuse it but i certainly would. yeah the fan is a 12v motor so it should work directly from the battery with a switch. i would look at your fuse box under your dash and see how big of a fuse it calls for the fan and then use that size fuse.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 AM

wellll i almost had it wired up..but i didn't have any female spade connectors

so as soon as i get some..i will have a HIGH on my fan..which is better than nothing at all LOL...

i'm perfectly warm runnin down the road at anything above 45*, but it's murder when the truck is cold, or when going slow lol...my girlfriend don't like it too much either LOL
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
.my girlfriend don't like it too much either LOL
Something tells me after that comment that it don't really bother you.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM

well..not really..the only time it bothers me is when it's F'N COLD....like anything below 30* and i'm having to drive around in it..lol

and it also needs to work for the summertime for the guy i sell it too..my A/C works GREAT.....if the blower would work lol

OH YEA!!!..my A/C won't turn on either...but i think that's just cause my blower isn't on??
Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 AM

I guess this is a good example of a fried resistor as well?

I am going to get a new resistor tomorrow, but I dont know if that will fix my problem. It seems like I have no power coming to any of the climate controls.
Blower motor works fine (hooked it up to 12v), and the relay has been changed out (however, no sign of clicking sound).
Hopefully I get heat soon-ish. Its 20F in TN yall, ha.
Attached Thumbnails Another "my blower don't work" thread-wp_20131128_04_14_13_pro.jpg  

Last edited by justuscole; 11-28-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:55 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by justuscole
It seems like I have no power coming to any of the climate controls.
Blower motor works fine (hooked it up to 12v), and the relay has been changed out (however, no sign of clicking sound).
Hopefully I get heat soon-ish. Its 20F in TN yall, ha.
Year? Model? Engine? A problem well-stated is a problem half-solved.

Verified whether you really have no power, or just guessing?
Blower absolutely not workign even in position 4 (max airflow)?
With IGN on, do you get 12V to pins 3 and 5 of heater relay?
When you put blower switch to 1, 2, 3 or 4 position, AND push AC button, does your AC on indicator light up? If it does, then problem is probably only in resistor.

If 22RE 4Runner 86-88, test points and blower system explained on my post here.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-28-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Year? Model? Engine? A problem well-stated is a problem half-solved.

Verified whether you really have no power, or just guessing?
Blower absolutely not workign even in position 4 (max airflow)?
With IGN on, do you get 12V to pins 3 and 5 of heater relay?
When you put blower switch to 1, 2, 3 or 4 position, AND push AC button, does your AC on indicator light up? If it does, then problem is probably only in resistor.
86 4runner (22re fuel injected, non-turbo)
No blower power in any position,
havent checked the relay pins (have a multimeter coming in the mail friday and will check post and test),
and no light whatsoever on the AC light indicator.

Do I check terminals 3 & 5, or 1 & 3?

Last edited by justuscole; 11-28-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On 84-88 and I think the 89-94 are the same. Remove the glove box and you can access the fuses. It will be on the left side of thte glovebox area, sort of right behind the cigarette lighter and stereo system.

Here is what it looks like. The covers pop off and there is a 10 and a 20 Amp fuse behind the covers.
Name:  heaterfuses_zpsa4578364.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  127.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-28-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:08 PM

I appreciate the help man, but my fuses are good. Going to check the ground from the switch and voltage from ignition after i get back from thanksgiving dinner.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by justuscole
I appreciate the help man, but my fuses are good. Going to check the ground from the switch and voltage from ignition after i get back from thanksgiving dinner.
I had my blower completely quit, due to a bad switch. Replaced with one from Auto zone, and it works great now.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberman
I had my blower completely quit, due to a bad switch. Replaced with one from Auto zone, and it works great now.
did your ac indicator light up? Would a switch cause a power loss issue to the whole system

Quick Reply: Another "my blower don't work" thread