86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Downey Torsion Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Another Downey Torsion Bar Question

Did they ever get around to making different bars for the V6 trucks? A lot of people of complained about the downy bars being too stiff. But that was probably with the 22RE. I am imagining that they might run alright under the 3VZE.I think that engine weighs about hundred pounds more than the 22 RE. Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM

I just noticed the car-part.com and a couple other resources I looked at, don't specify different torsion bars for 4 or six cylinder trucks and 4runner, if they are four-wheel-drive. If you're looking at 2 wheel drive, then they do spec different bars.

Also, what about corrosion resistance? The Toyota torsion bars that I've seen have a nice coating on them, almost like they are plastic dipped.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 06-14-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:29 AM

Anyway, There is a pair of Downey torsion bars, new old stock, the seller says, on eBay right now that piqued my interest. I'm not going to go that route though. Mine have gotten a little rusty near the control arm yoke. I'm checking a couple sources in Arizona and California to find some used stockers to replace them with.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
shipping would be a PITA - but I have a free set of stockers....
Old 06-16-2017, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by ewong
shipping would be a PITA - but I have a free set of stockers....
I'm going to keep you in mind. As it stands now, I have a few to look at locally and I have some folks looking for me in Arizona and California. I'm trying to get the yokes, levers and adjusting bolts too.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:46 AM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
I had the Downey bars on my 4Runner when it had the 22RE and the ride was too stiff. It did improve the handling and you could hit the big bumps faster, but washboard roads and road imperfections were terrible. I ended up getting a set of original torsion bars from a 3.0-equipped 4Runner. I did this because the V6 vehicles have a beefier torsion bar socket. It rides a lot better but the overall handling (cornering) is not as good. I swapped over to a 3.4L and I still have the same suspension set up and it is fine.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by vwrunner
I had the Downey bars on my 4Runner when it had the 22RE and the ride was too stiff. It did improve the handling and you could hit the big bumps faster, but washboard roads and road imperfections were terrible. I ended up getting a set of original torsion bars from a 3.0-equipped 4Runner. I did this because the V6 vehicles have a beefier torsion bar socket. It rides a lot better but the overall handling (cornering) is not as good. I swapped over to a 3.4L and I still have the same suspension set up and it is fine.
When you when you say that the V-6 torsion bars have a beefier socket, what do you mean exactly? I know the torsion bars have splines on each end. The front splines engage a yoke (called the torque arm in the FSM) that attaches to the upper control arm. The rear plugs into what I've heard folks call a lever that the FSM calls an Anchor Arm. Which part is beefier on the V6 models?

Last edited by wrenchtech; 06-16-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM

the Torque Arm

I've also heard that they are beefier on the v6 models
A parts catalog will tell you if there is a different part number

And if you can find a set - DOWNEY used to make some really HD ones
Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrenchtech
Did they ever get around to making different bars for the V6 trucks? A lot of people of complained about the downy bars being too stiff. But that was probably with the 22RE. I am imagining that they might run alright under the 3VZE.I think that engine weighs about hundred pounds more than the 22 RE. Any thoughts?
Hi Wrenchtech, what is your goal in regards to the downey torsion bars? More often than not most of the guys who threw on downey/OME/whatever beefier torsion bar wound up removing them, as they feel luch like cranked torsion bars.

What is the reason for the change? Heavy front bumper, ride height, etc?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 PM

BTW - I'm running 300M torsion bars....

Most off roads who have been in my truck think it rides like crap.
But my truck was set up more for "pre running" than crawling....
And the stiffer front springs mean I can toss the sway bar and still drive w/o tipsiness on the highway
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 89fourrunner
Hi Wrenchtech, what is your goal in regards to the downey torsion bars? More often than not most of the guys who threw on downey/OME/whatever beefier torsion bar wound up removing them, as they feel luch like cranked torsion bars.

What is the reason for the change? Heavy front bumper, ride height, etc?
I thought I already replied to this message but I must've compose the message and failed to send it. In any case my purpose is to get rid of some of the rusty bits and replace them with rust free pieces. You could say that I'm in the process of restoring this 93 xtra cab. It's only got 116,000 original miles, but those are miles racked up in the heart of the Rust Belt. I've got the engine out right now, it's going to get rebuilt short block with a set of brand-new cylinder heads (somehow the previous owner manage to break two connecting rods and fire one of them out to the side of the block, after which it sat idle for 10 years). While I've got the engine out it seems like a good time to replace the upper control arms and clean up the frame rails, which are easier to get to with the engine bay empty. My torsion bars are a little rusty near front splines. When I get a closer look I'll have to make a decision whether to keep or replace them. It might be hard to find OE torsion bars with miles as low as mine though. At the same time, torsion bars are probably nothing to mess around with refinishing.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:39 PM

I took a quick look in the Toyota parts catalog offered by Olathe Toyota online. I find that there're at least two different part numbers for torsion bars between "93 4runners and "93 pick up trucks.The V6 4runner and the V6 pick up share a torsion bar part number, But there's a designation for an additional torsion bar for 4runners that came with 15 x 7 wheels! I'm thinking 15 x 7 wheels means 31 x 10.50 tires means that the torsion bar in question Is used to provide additional lift to clear the bigger tires. I'd love to get a measuring caliper on these things, but I can forget seeing one at a dealership because they're listed as discontinued/no longer available. By the way, the torsion bars that are available list for $267 each. Olathe wants $200 and my local dealer In Racine, Wisconsin wants $285
Old 08-09-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Downey T-Bars work great with Blazeland Long Arms!