86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Cooling Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Cooling Fan Question

I know the last thing everbody wants to see is anothe cooling fan question. But here goes anyway. A friend of mine totaled his 2000 Mustang 3.8L V6, to make a long story short, I ended up with the cooling fan from it.
I matched it up to my 94 4Runner V6 and it looks like it's gonna fit just fine.
My question is what other parts would I need to get this fan to work besides just bolting it on, do I need a controller, relays, temp sensor and fuses...? And if so is there a Toyota cooling fan controller, relays or temp sensor that would work...?

Thanks in advance
RR

P.S. the electric fan only has two wires on it.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I would get the dccontroller as mentioned in the electric fan thread by bamachem...the FK-35 kit IIRC. All the 411 is there...

Old 08-05-2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks Wabbit

Thanks Wabbit, I checked it out, I'm going to order the same controller as Bamachem. I hope the instructions a pretty straight forward and not to generalized when it comes to the wiring, I get nervous when it comes to cutting into the existing wire loom, I don't have much experience with auto electronics, so I don't wanna jack anything up.

Thanks
RR
Old 08-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I second what Wabbit said. The instructions are very clear and Brian is very helpful, if you have questions just e-mail him.

There are just a few places your need to slice into existing wires and the best way to do that is to cut the insulation on the existing wire (but not the copper) and slide the insulation back enough to wrap your new wire around it and solder it, then tape good and use twist ties or zip ties to keep the tape from coming loose later. Also buy some flex tubing to cover all the wires and protect them.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:25 AM

One more question

Thanks Mt Goat, I'm sure I can do it if I take my time and find all the right wires. My other question is, my neighbor said I should add some RELAYS into the loop for safety...? Once again I don't know and I'm not sure if he's right so that's why I'm askin' here.

Thanks Again
RR
Old 08-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

With the dccontroller you won't need ANYTHING else other than his kit...it has all the relays etc built in so you just wire it up. That is why it is so nice!

Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM

Cool

Cool, Thanks for the help guys, I knew there was a reason I like this forum the best.

Thanks Again
RR
Old 08-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

My fan controller kit just came today the FK-35....took about 3 weeks to turn it around, but it sure does look purty.

It will go on the pile with other parts to install in the future.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RRIND
I matched it up to my 94 4Runner V6 and it looks like it's gonna fit just fine.
One quick clarification- is your transmission auto or manual. If it's auto you won't be able to use the fan, because your engine will overheat due to the extra heat from the tranny cooler...
Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
One quick clarification- is your transmission auto or manual. If it's auto you won't be able to use the fan, because your engine will overheat due to the extra heat from the tranny cooler...
Brian I'm hoping to prove you wrong on that theory of your's.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Brian I'm hoping to prove you wrong on that theory of your's.
Umm...don't you have two external coolers? That's cheating...
Old 08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Mt_Goat, you are crazy and are going to have an INSANE engine, AND I hope you have no overheating problems (if you don't, I would attribute it to better block cooling management in the 3.4) but regardless, when I get my supercharged 4Runner, I'll be going with a larger fan to really make sure I have no cooling problems. I suspect a Supercharged 3.4 putting out around 315hp at the crank will be a pretty hot engine, paired with an auto tranny behind that and two tranny coolers, I'm not taking any chances.

Anyway, for the slow engine, I say this simply because most every 3.0/auto combo I have heard of has had overheating problems with the Taurus Fan mod. Even on high speed, any slight incline will cause them to overheat.

Can any people with a 3.0/auto/Taurus Fan and say they don't have overheating problems? Truck or 4Runner? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Can any people with a 3.0/auto/Taurus Fan and say they don't have overheating problems? Truck or 4Runner? Anyone? Bueller?
Taurus fan? Can't say. But I had no problems with overheating with my Flex-a-lite - the Taurus fan allegedly flows more than the FAL, so what's the prob?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Here are some examples:

Taurus Fan Removed

Electric Fan Woes...AGAIN

Taurus Fan Woes

Flexalite Black Magic Electric Fan FLX-165

Marc, toyo22r, ChickenLover, Eric, and Steveh29 have all had overheating issues with the 3.0 and electric fans. All 3.0/auto combos as far as I remember. Just throwing it out there is all, I haven't heard of overheating problems with the 3.4/autos though, whether that's due to the block or the radiator I don't know, but I think we're going to find out!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Taurus fan? Can't say. But I had no problems with overheating with my Flex-a-lite - the Taurus fan allegedly flows more than the FAL, so what's the prob?
Which flex-a-lite did you have there Cebby? The FLX-165?

Last edited by mastacox; 08-07-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:35 PM

Yep - FLX-165. Never a problem with overheating. I'm not in a really hot climate though...
Old 08-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

ChickenLover said he could run the FLX-165 during the cooler months, but it would overheat during summer months for him (and he would change to his mechanical fan). I'm guessing if it gets over 90 degrees, the fan (FAL or Taurus) just don't pull enough air to keep up with both the engine and tranny. I'm still guessing a Lincoln Mark VIII fan would do the job though, or maybe an extra pusher up front and/or custom shroud ala mt_goats rig... Possible a remote tranny cooler with dedicated fan might alleviate problems too...

OK so as mt_goat has said it's more of a theory than anything else (for now), but I think I'm on to something...

Last edited by mastacox; 08-07-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

ChickenLover said he could run the FLX-165 during the cooler months, but it would overheat during summer months for him (and he would change to his mechanical fan). I'm guessing if it gets over 90 degrees, the fan (FAL or Taurus) just don't pull enough air to keep up with both the engine and tranny. I'm still guessing a Lincoln Mark VIII fan would do the job though, or maybe an extra pusher up front and/or custom shroud ala mt_goats rig... Possible a remote tranny cooler with dedicated fan might alleviate problems too...

OK so as mt_goat has said it's more of a theory than anything else (for now), but I think I'm on to something...
If I have problems, first I'll swap the ATF cooler lines around to run the ATF through the radiator after the extra coolers or bypass the radiator all together, if that doesn't work I'll start calling your theory the "Mastacox E-fan Law"
Old 08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
...if that doesn't work I'll start calling your theory the "Mastacox E-fan Law"
LOL well like I said, it could be the 3.4l has more effective cooling passages and you'll be fine, I don't really know. Don't most people that do a 3.4 swap use an electric fan to avoid the mechanical fan hassles? Could be the weak point is the 3.0's block, could be the radiator, maybe just the combo. You, Dale, will tread into unknown territory to confirm one of the data points for us! Good luck on your epic journey!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:33 AM

Auto Trans

I do have an automatic transmission, I read through the postings and I'm still not understanding why it matters if it's an automatic vs. a stick...? It has a 10" ? cooling fan that came stock on the front of the radiator and a smaller extra radiator tranny cooler up there too.

Thanks
RR

Quick Reply: Another Cooling Fan Question