86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Altimeter/inclonometer wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altimeter/inclonometer wiring question

My 89 4runner didn't have an altimeter thingy, I have since purchased one. Of course, the unit I bought simply had the wiring snipped, rather than unplug the harness and remove the entire unit.

Where can I get another wiring harness? I know I can simply wire this unit up somewhere to the lighting system, but I'd rather have a "plug and play" unit.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.

vmax84
Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

I just checked my haynes manual theelectric schematic shows it connected across the heater light circuit. So far as factory connections go there might be a blanked off connector in you dash for the gizmo if this is the case all you'd have to do is get the other end from the dealer. otherwise you might have to get both ends from the dealer and do little wiring work. Other guys here have done this install, I think there might be a write up in the tech section also. Cheers Aviator
Old 03-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, two wires that attach to a connector that goes to one in the lighting circuit behind the HVAC controls. It is the same (2) wire connector that is used on all of the (2) wire connections on the 1st gens and probably others as well. Should not be hard to find a connector. Take the radio center dash console piece out and look for an un-used connector. My bet is it is already there.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:19 PM

Does anybody have a closeup pic of these connectors coming off the unit, or any pics at all? Thanks.

vmax84
Old 03-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Ok, I can't find the "hot" for the altimeter thingy.....but.....

can I simply jump into the circuit where the rheostat is for the dimmer on the dash? Wouldn't simply jumping into the circuit downstream of the rheostat work? Or would it make all the dash lights as well as the altimeter guage dimmer?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Man, I need to get this thing bolted back together since spring is almost here (read in, salt is no longer on the roads!!! Whoo hooo!!!)

vmax84
Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Are you trying to just light it or do you want it to dim too? If just trying to light it you could tap into the parking light circuit so it would come on with your lights. Tapping in after the dimmer. Grab a test light (less than $5) and connect it to the dimmer. That'll tell you if the inclinometer will dim too.

Road salt? Where are you located?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
vmax,

please do not start a new thread for the same question.

merged w/ your other altimeter wiring questtion

bob
Old 03-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Feelgood
Are you trying to just light it or do you want it to dim too? If just trying to light it you could tap into the parking light circuit so it would come on with your lights. Tapping in after the dimmer. Grab a test light (less than $5) and connect it to the dimmer. That'll tell you if the inclinometer will dim too.

Road salt? Where are you located?

I would like the guages to dim along with the instrument panel lights, so, since I can't seem to come up with the right factory plug for the wiring, I could simply tap in "downstream" of the instrument panel dimmer switch.

As for the road salt, this ole' girl has never seen it (Michigan), and doubt if it ever will (well, as long as I own it). I catch all sorts of grief, especially from Mrs. Vmax about not driving it in the winter, but I worked my tail off trying to find an all original/rust free runner............I don't plan on wrecking it right away.

vmax84

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...30173464PHZjqT

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Ok, I think I found the right plug for the altimeter wiring, but when I test it with my test light, there is no juice coming out of that plug when I have the instrument lights up on full. When I run the instrument panel lights all the way down, the juice increases proportionaly (sp?) with the rheostat.

Shouldn't the juice increase with the instrument cluster lights? Also, where does the second wire hook up to........ground?

Thanks.

vmax84
Old 03-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
IT is a two wire connection. The power is simply for lighting the altimeter/inclinometer w/ the dash lights so it is just a loop system...like your taillights...the altimeter/inclinometer light is just in the loop and gets juice when you turn the lights on and should dim/brighten as you adjust the dash lights.

Also note that the altimeter/inclinometer has an ON/OFF button for the lighting...so make sure it is ON if you wanna see the purty lights.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
IT is a two wire connection. The power is simply for lighting the altimeter/inclinometer w/ the dash lights so it is just a loop system...like your taillights...the altimeter/inclinometer light is just in the loop and gets juice when you turn the lights on and should dim/brighten as you adjust the dash lights.

Also note that the altimeter/inclinometer has an ON/OFF button for the lighting...so make sure it is ON if you wanna see the purty lights.

I wonder what I've hooked into then, since the juice is directly inverse of what the dash lights are adjusted to. It's wierd; adjusting the dash lights has the opposite affect on my trouble lights light. Crank the dash lights up, the trouble lights light gets dimmer......turn the dash lights down, the trouble lights light gets brighter.

vmax84
Old 03-22-2006, 12:20 PM

And here I thought I had this whole thing figured out. I tried jumping into the dimmer switch downstream from the rheostat and can't get any juice out of it.

Guess I'll try jumping into the other side and see where that gets me.

vmax84