86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ALMOST Dying while try to accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALMOST Dying while try to accelerate

Ok I and new to the forum and have done some searching in here but havent found the answer I am looking for. I need some help here PRETTY PLEASE!

Here's the deal.... all of a sudden while driving down the road my 90 toyota pickup decides it doesnt want anymore gas. I was going about 30 MPH and it wouldnt go any faster without almost dying if I gave it more gas. If I come to a stop and take it out fo gear its ok, when I start to go I have to hurry and shift otherwise it wants to die if it gets too much gas. The faster I shift the better it does. I cannot down shift or give it anymore gas without it wanting to die. It will jolt and almost die and I either take my foot of the gas or shift and give it a little gas. Basically it doesnt want a lot of gas... wont go over about 40 MPH, wont go up a hill ...I have to press on the gas real lightly. Its a manual tranny and I do live in Alaska where it is wet and cold. I heard word of it maybe being that I have water in my fuel tank so I am testing that now...just curious if anyone has any other suggestions or has had a similar problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS in advance
Old 10-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech, sorry I'm not going to be able to help you much except I noticed you didn't say what engine you have and it may make a difference. Is it a 4 cyl or V6?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 AM

Oh Thank you.....its a 4cyl....I dont know the size of the engine.....
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

I would check the fuel filter, when is the last time it had a tuneup?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you getting a check engine light?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 90 Toyota Girl
Oh Thank you.....its a 4cyl....I dont know the size of the engine.....
The 90 had the 22re its a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder motor. Anyways, How many miles does it have? and are you getting a check engine light

O BTW

Welcome to yotatech
Old 10-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YT. Same wquestions as above...we get the info someone should be able to help diagnose the problem.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:58 PM

It had a tune up exactly 1 year ago distributor cap rotor and plug wires.. It has 110,000 miles. I just took it for a drive again and its still the same thing but I noticed as soon as I push the clutch in its fine of course it doesnt excelerate.....It's about to die then I push in the clutch and I can feel *relief* if that makes sense. So to me there is something with the fuel or exhaust...? Maybe? Oh and no check engine light has come on. I dont know if this has anything to do with it but I did notice a sound coming from around the fan area...its kind of a clicking sound but i dont know if the fan might be rubbing on something....it sounds like something is rubbing while its going around.....like the fan or fan belt??? Not sure if this is just another problem or if it is contributing......

Last edited by 90 Toyota Girl; 10-31-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:07 PM

it could be a clogged fuel filter or injector, or a ignition system problem. It could also be a timing issue.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:13 PM

Where is the fuel filter and injector located??? I am thinking and hoping that's it......I will check the other things also. The timing belt was replaced about 1 1/2 ago....so what other issues could there be with it???? Can you be more specific?? Thanks so much.

When I bought the vehicle there was leaking coming from the timing cover and oil pump. Is the oil pump same as fuel pump?? Could this be the problem???

Last edited by 90 Toyota Girl; 10-31-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:26 PM

sounds like a fuel pump to me I had the same problem with my ford.
lets hope its the filter and not the pump.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Hummm, you mention a timing belt but the 4 cyl engine has a timing chain. Are you sure you have a 22re and not a 3.0 V6? It matters since the fuel filters are much different locations for the two. An oil pump is different than a fuel pump.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM

I am sorry....timing chain is what I meant. I am sure its the 22re 4 cylinder. How often do those need changing?? Sorry I was thinking of my old vehicle....but this problem didnt happen when the timing belt went out...I dont know if its the same or not since it was a belt and not chain i dont know anything about that. But there was a timing cover leak.......and from the oil pump. I just called the shop to confirm those two things.......

Oh and another thing....i totally forgot.....I just recently had a fuel leak....the fuel pump bracket was replaced. i am looking back on receipts I have from work done......

Last edited by 90 Toyota Girl; 10-31-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

If it is the fuel filter (not saying it is or isn't) I hear the 22re fuel filter is a real PITA to get to, it's located on the drivers side of the engine just above the oil filter IIRC. It may be a good thing to pay a mechanic to do for you, but if you decide to tackle it yourself here's some threads relating to fuel filters in general.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/fuel-filter-replacement-tips-novice-90497/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/fuel-filter-will-not-come-off-80428/
Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 PM

I doubt the fuel filter. Don't waste your time as it is a pain in the ass. Sounds like it could be a lot of things. I would say you are running on 3 cylinders not 4. I would check your spark plug wires, spark plugs and vacuum hoses. Try starting it up in the dark and watching around your distributor and coil to look for sparks and arcing. I bet since you are cold and wet all the time that your coil is arcing out. Change your cap and rotor first. Definatly sounds electrical.

Just a note: You can change your ignition coil with an Accel coil from an auto parts store. As long as it looks the same it will work. May be cheaper then a Toyota one.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 PM

check your fuel pressure.

also improper timing could cause the fuel and spark to not be at the correct moment, but i'm leaning towards a fuel problem, i think it could be the injectors.

and check that you have spark at all cyl, just pull the plugs and plug it into the wire and ground it and see if its sparking.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:37 PM

The 22re engine are great, as for the timing chain I cant see that being a problem. Fuel filter would be a good place to start. Also noticed that you said you did your last tune up a year ago, if you drive that truck daily you may want to concider doing you tune ups a little more often. If you replace the fuel filter and that dosent solve your problem, on some vehicles there's an additional filter known as the fuel strainer in the gas tank. Don't know if they used them on the four bangers or not, but they are definatly in the V6's and the thing gave me the same trouble right before the engine quit working all together. Start with the fuel filter though and try a goood tune up, plugs, cap, rotor, Air filter,ect.. GOOD LUCK!! And remember the plug wires, make sure there in good shape and not grounding out somewhere. You may also want to check the engine's ground cable. Living in wet conditions may have corroded the engine grounding points, and without a good ground you may not be getting enough spark to fire the gas thats going to the engine.

Last edited by bruzer; 10-31-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Get your fuel pressure tested....oh...and don't these electric fuel pumps have a sock on them in the tank that could possibly restrict fuel flow? I'd say go for a pressure test...if its low pressure...pull out the fuel pump and make sure the sock isn't full of grit or dirt. That rules that out if so...
Old 10-31-2006, 04:48 PM

IF the engine is stalling when you try to add throttle then you are starved for AIR not fuel.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bear80
IF the engine is stalling when you try to add throttle then you are starved for AIR not fuel.
I was thinking about this but I was not confident to post on it. I once bought a Volvo with similar symptoms. After replacing the MAF and fuel filter, I pulled the air filter and it was almost completely stopped up. Replaced and all was fine.

I have had similar fuel filter/pump sock problems also though.

Last edited by rezrunner92; 10-31-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: ALMOST Dying while try to accelerate