86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

All red tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All red tail lights

Ok so ive been meanig to tint my tails all red simply due to the fact that the orange clashes with the red too badly lol i couldnt find any pics online of his being done so it was a shot in the dark if it would look good or not. Well i got i finished last night and i think it looks 100% better, heres some pics

Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Looks good...you should get a shot with a turn signal on.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:34 PM

How did you did you tint them? Looks like you had a little over spray.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
looks good. He used a candy apple red transparent paint... its pretty popular among the honda/acura group. Cheap easy mod though!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Must be the angle cuz their flawless lol, i havent got a pic of the signals on yet cuz well... They dont work lol im goin to get that fixed next week ill post a pic of it then. I used 600,1000,1500g sandpaper, wet sanded, cleaned with rubbing alcohol ( rub the hell out of the housing to get alcohol completly off. Then i used 3 coats of Plasti-Kote Anodizit 101 red, wet sanded once after 3rd coat, then 3 coats of krylon clear. Wait for that to dry completly and to finish it off i used some turtle wax and a buffer. Done! Looks better than stock
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Nice! Hope you don't mind if I steal your idea, that's going to be my project for this weekend
Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Take it away man! Thats why i put it up because ive never seen it online, come to think of it i havent seen any with all red tails on the road either
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM

I've never seen it anywhere. I guess it really doesn't matter if this mod is legal because the rest of my truck isn't
Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM

im pretty sure it is legal everywhere both canada and u.s they both just require red or amber signals with white or orange bulb, so thats a plus
Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 92Yoda
im pretty sure it is legal everywhere both canada and u.s they both just require red or amber signals with white or orange bulb, so thats a plus
Red lights for both is completely legal
Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

if you like it that is all that matters!!

Me i like the clash of the Amber signal light against the red brake light i want the idiots behind me to know I am turning and slowing down.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will be good unless you get some Mountie that knows the BC motor vehicle Act off by heart. If it's not original equipment (orange signals) then it has to be approved by the director of Motor Vehicles. Now there may be some clause that says that red signals are okay to replace OEM orange ones, but I didn't find it!
I guess it is open to interpretation I have heard of guys getting into trouble when they do an HID upgrade to an older vehicle because it is not OEM.
this is straight out of the BC Motor Vehicle Act.

Turn signal devices
4.13 (1) A vehicle may be equipped and mounted with

(a) a lamp type turn signal system, or

(b) a semaphore turn signal device,

functionally equivalent to original equipment supplied by the vehicle manufacturer or of a type or make approved by the director.

(2) A lamp type turn signal system must

(a) have 2 lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying flashes of white or amber light which are visible to the front,

(b) have 2 lamps, mounted on the rear of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying flashes of red or amber light which are visible to the rear,

(c) be visible on each side of the vehicle at a distance of 100 m in normal sunlight at an angle of 45° from the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and

(d) include a tell-tale lamp which gives a clear indication that the system is activated.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the info!! Wasnt positive about it, but then again why should i be suprised with the way bc's "driving system" is...funny you should lay down these facts because i got a speeding ticket today, and since my signals are gone i was just waiting for the inspection notice or a ticket for that, but he didnt say anything about the tint or just not using them. The cop would have to know the rule book off heart and would also have to have an idea of which vehicles come standard with amber or red signals,, but nonetheless thanks for the tips
Old 01-14-2012, 05:47 AM

Leave it to a CANADIAN to ruin all the fun here......J/K!!!!!!
REALLY good looking MOD, I have a spare set for my 87 I may work on. Mine has the reverse lights (LAME) in the middle and they are about useless anyway so I may add a set of tractor lights to the homemade bumper and completely red mine out. Really looks good on black!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Nice looking lights. Just got added to my todo list for the spring. Good job man.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Be forewarned... the lights aren't US or Canada compliant.

Permissible directional lighting (turn signal indicators) in the US (and Canada, IIRC) is (towards the rear):
a) combined brake / directional signals: both functions share one lens, red in color- one side is steadily lit to indicate braking, the other side flashes to indicate directional intent
b) separated brake / directional: utilize separate lenses. one "red" light (each side) to indicate "stop" or "braking" towards the rear, one "amber" light on either side of the vehicle to indicate intent to turn (flashes).

Blinking "red" lights, with the exception of the aformentioned combined turn/brake signal lighting is illegal.

May look good (I agree).

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Be forewarned... the lights aren't US or Canada compliant.

Permissible directional lighting (turn signal indicators) in the US (and Canada, IIRC) is (towards the rear):
a) combined brake / directional signals: both functions share one lens, red in color- one side is steadily lit to indicate braking, the other side flashes to indicate directional intent
b) separated brake / directional: utilize separate lenses. one "red" light (each side) to indicate "stop" or "braking" towards the rear, one "amber" light on either side of the vehicle to indicate intent to turn (flashes).

Blinking "red" lights, with the exception of the aformentioned combined turn/brake signal lighting is illegal.

May look good (I agree).

hmmmm....I did not know that, thanks for your research man.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by michael1963
hmmmm....I did not know that, thanks for your research man.
Wasn't exactly "research".

I was lectured by a BIT/DOT inspector when I was pulled over in California (in a VW Scirocco) for having the amber and red lights in the rear blink when I signalled to pull over. FWIW- the Scirocco had yellow turn signals and red brake lights: having them both blink was illegal because of the red light blinking along with the yellow (dumb me though it was cool to wire a trailer light module). CHP let me off of that ticket because he felt the "intent" of the lighting was obvious but warned me of the legality of it.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Wasn't exactly "research".

I was lectured by a BIT/DOT inspector when I was pulled over in California (in a VW Scirocco) for having the amber and red lights in the rear blink when I signalled to pull over. FWIW- the Scirocco had yellow turn signals and red brake lights: having them both blink was illegal because of the red light blinking along with the yellow (dumb me though it was cool to wire a trailer light module). CHP let me off of that ticket because he felt the "intent" of the lighting was obvious but warned me of the legality of it.
Right on, I got that. Some of the best lessons learned are through mistakes eh! It's funny that the police in my city are not all out to get us 4wheels (now that I have said that, I'll get nailed next week!), well at least the ones that have rigs that look all legal.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by michael1963
Right on, I got that. Some of the best lessons learned are through mistakes eh! It's funny that the police in my city are not all out to get us 4wheels (now that I have said that, I'll get nailed next week!), well at least the ones that have rigs that look all legal.
One of Murphy's Law's corallaries suggests that nothing will go wrong until after you make the observation that nothing has gone wrong.

Quick Reply: All red tail lights