Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Are all fuel filters created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are all fuel filters created equal?

Going to go ahead and replace my fuel filter if for no other reason than I just ran a tank with BG44K through if and my truck doesn't get a lot of miles put on it. It has 160,000 on the odometer and the filter is the original so I'm going to change it out.

I went ahead and bought a filter from Toyota and the damn thing was $45. Not a huge deal considering I'll probably never have to change it again but thought I would ask your opinions on whether aftermarket fuel filters are comparable to the OEM filter

I use my truck on a ranch that is huge and there is no cell reception so I'm taking the time to do some maintenance

Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just use part store fuel filters. Most everything else I use factory parts. I personally dont like to run fuel cleaners thru my tank. The tanks can get a lot of build up in them and break more gunk loose then the filter can handle. Just my opinion. I like to use Sea Foam, it is a great product but not in the tank.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by huntsonora
... I use my truck on a ranch that is huge ...
Huge? I had a client who told me "I can get into my pickup and start driving west; 30 minutes later I'm still on my property." I responded "Yeah, I once had a truck like that."
Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since most of the fuel filters I have seen are now made in China .

I just started using the Toyota fuel filters again and will be using the Toyota oil filters .

So Yes I think there is a difference!!!
Old 04-17-2015, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced mine with a Toyota filter and the nice thing about it was that came with a new bracket that bolts to the frame, whereas some of the write-ups I have seen that used parts store filters needed to reuse that bracket from the factory filter. Depending on how rusted that bracket is could make it worth the $45 for the Toyota filter with a new bracket vs saving a few dollars for just the filter.

Since I'm in California, mine wasn't rusted much at all, but figured I'd pay the little extra since the factory one lasted 238,000-ish miles, and like you're thinking, I probably won't ever change it again.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Huge? I had a client who told me "I can get into my pickup and start driving west; 30 minutes later I'm still on my property." I responded "Yeah, I once had a truck like that."
I was down there 2 weeks ago doing some work and I put 112 miles on my truck and never left the ranch. This particular place is over 200 square miles and it is rugged and remote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Filter dissection - http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...dissected.html

Air filters are rated by % efficient, with higher being better, fuel filters are rated by microns, with lower being better (to a point).

I used a Wix oil filter in my LS400 first oil change. Like the brand usually, however shortly after I started getting VVTi valve error codes, and eventually a low oil pressure warning when I started it. Oil control valve cleaning did nothing. Research found someone else who had the same problem and traced it to the oil filter. Swapped it out for Lexus OEM and the problems disappeared.

Not common, but aftermarket filters can cause problems and definitely not all filters are created equal.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Since most of the fuel filters I have seen are now made in China.

Maybe they're trying to put the lead back in our gas

Last edited by Odin; 04-17-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by jbtvt
Filter dissection - http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...dissected.html

Air filters are rated by % efficient, with higher being better, fuel filters are rated by microns, with lower being better (to a point).

I used a Wix oil filter in my LS400 first oil change. Like the brand usually, however shortly after I started getting VVTi valve error codes, and eventually a low oil pressure warning when I started it. Oil control valve cleaning did nothing. Research found someone else who had the same problem and traced it to the oil filter. Swapped it out for Lexus OEM and the problems disappeared.

Not common, but aftermarket filters can cause problems and definitely not all filters are created equal.
I only use Toyota oil filters on my trucks. I believe they are a superior product for my vehicles but I haven't seen any data on fuel filters for our trucks
Old 04-18-2015, 09:15 PM
RSR

A couple years back, toyota switched all their filters to a cheaper and lower quality filters made in Thailand...

I run Toyota oil filters, but I have a small stockpile of made in Japan 90915-20004 Resin Oil Filters... If I had to choose between YZZD3 and Purolator Pureone, I'd personally consider it a tossup.

Good read on oil here if you're interested: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html

For fuel filters, I went with Wix as in Texas my bracket is still in great condition...
For fuel pump and fuel pump bag filter, I'd only go OE (or at least OEM/denso), but for a fuel filter, I'm happy with Wix.

Heck it needs replaced every 20k miles or so anyways adn so long as you aren't picking the cheapest option or have a rust filled tank, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jbtvt

I used a Wix oil filter in my LS400 first oil change. Like the brand usually, however shortly after I started getting VVTi valve error codes, and eventually a low oil pressure warning when I started it. Oil control valve cleaning did nothing. Research found someone else who had the same problem and traced it to the oil filter. Swapped it out for Lexus OEM and the problems disappeared

I've read about that a couple times. Seems that VVT-i really needs a free flowing filter to keep the oil pressure up.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 AM
RSR

The standard 3vze oil filter is pretty small... (YZZD1 I think.)

There is no harm in running a larger filter -- more oil capacity, more filter volume/surface area (meaning oil will filter longer before bypass valve activates), etc.

I suspect with higher filtration filters the relatively undersized YZZD1 vs larger YZZD3 and aftermarket equivalents for that filter (vs ones recommended for the engine) definitely would lead to some oil pressure issues...

Fuel line to fuel filter surface area -- the fuel filters are oversized... The only issue w/ a higher filtration filter is that it will remove more crap that would otherwise clog your injectors so will need replaced more often...
Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
A couple years back, toyota switched all their filters to a cheaper and lower quality filters made in Thailand...

I run Toyota oil filters, but I have a small stockpile of made in Japan 90915-20004 Resin Oil Filters... If I had to choose between YZZD3 and Purolator Pureone, I'd personally consider it a tossup.

Good read on oil here if you're interested: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html

For fuel filters, I went with Wix as in Texas my bracket is still in great condition...
For fuel pump and fuel pump bag filter, I'd only go OE (or at least OEM/denso), but for a fuel filter, I'm happy with Wix.

Heck it needs replaced every 20k miles or so anyways adn so long as you aren't picking the cheapest option or have a rust filled tank, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Nice link, but the OP of that thread who was doing the dissecting does say in post #21 - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post2389823

You can order the Toyota filters online. As you can see, there is no difference between the ones made in Japan, vs. the ones made in Thialand.
Have you seen a comparison that shows otherwise? As far as the Pureone, it is paper filter media and 100 square inches less than Toyota's synthetic filtering media, according to that thread.

Makes me glad I've never used a Fram at least.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The Toyota Oil Filter from the dealer is about the same price as the part store ones. I prefer the Toyota Oil Filter. I am disappointed to see they are now made in Thailand. Was not aware of that.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:07 PM
RSR

There's a big difference in size between the YZZD3 V8 spec filter and the 22re and V6 spec YZZD1 filters...

His YZZD1 equivalent purolator pureone has these dimensions:
Purolator PL10241 - 3.1 x 3.5 x 3.1 inches

These would be YZZD3 equivalents (don't have time to go back and re-reference and ensure my recommendations on the size being correct, but I believe they all have the same gasket size else I wouldn't have written them down):
Purolator PL20195 - 3.1 x 4.9 x 3.1 inches
Purolator PL30001 - 3.9 x 5.4 x 3.9 inches

So the filtration media sizes aren't nearly so much so as his comparison suggests. I believe most of the other filters compared are also D1 equivalents... And yes, the material construction matters, but it still doesn't tell us much about the two most important features of any oil filter -- flow and filtration.

To your 2nd question, yes. I'll follow up on that later and some of the points above.

In the interim, here's some food for thought.

The filter I run:

And a good read on the full synthetic resin element that had both high flow and high filtration (current Toyota filters are strongly biased in favor of flow vs filtration):
This is the 90915-YZZB5 filter that was offered for the V8 Tundra and also used on the 1FZFE (at least in 2000). This was a resin element filter of good quality, not great. Around 1996 the 90915-20004 resin element came around for the Land Cruisers. It is an exceptional filter that was discontinued in the USA, and now both the -YZZB5 and the -20004 have been superseded by 90915-YZZD3. The -20004 is still available outside the USA. (I'm not sure where it fits, but there was also a 90915-20002 in there someplace. It was replaced by the -20004.)

Why was it disco'd in the USA you might ask? To quote from CruiserDan:

cruiserdan said: ↑
99% of the population buys on price, not quality, and the 90915-20004 costs twice as much as the 90915-YZZD3, therefore TMS USA chose to use the 90915-YZZD3 as the replacement part.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/will...-94-pu.239489/

Toyota chose to offer lower quality filters at a lower price to hopefully increase market share by lower cost OE parts helping to lower the cost of dealer oil changes (who through agreements I believe have to use the OE recommended parts)... Dealers making a lot of money through needed repairs identified during oil changes... And long term, lower quality filters shortening engine life...

(These thai filters use lower quality components as well as cheaper labor -- it's a resin treated paper with glued seams, among other cost cuts; don't recall all offhand.)

Last edited by RSR; 04-22-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks RSR.. I will be changing to a different filter. Once I get stuck on a brand I dont really follow back up with their quality. Guess something I need to work on as I am sure other companies have done cost cutting steps as well.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 AM
RSR

To be clear, I don't think the Toyota OEM filter is bad, I just don't think it is the best...

My ideal filter setup would be as follows on the 3vze:
-Gold plug magnetic drain plug
-Pareto Point spin on bypass filter piping assembly with amsoil oil filter on the bypass (finned air oil cooler sleeve on the amsoil bypass filter both for protection and cooling)
-the 20004 filter I run (Yzzd3 wouldn't be a bad 2nd choice since you're getting advanced filtration through bypass) w/ a magnetic oil filter sleeve on the filter itself
-the OE pancake oil to water oil cooler
-then my castrol Ti full synthetic oil

Typically, you have a constant tradeoff between filtration and flow... Modern synthetic fibers and other filter mediums make that tradeoff much less severe than it used to be. Additionally, running higher viscosity synthetic oils allows you to run higher filtration filters too without worrying as much about a high filtration filter being constricting of oil flow. When you combine more surface area with oversized filters, you can also run higher filtration filters that way as well....

For those worried about the Pureone's being too restrictive: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/1619451/1
Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 AM

Interesting, that's like no filter I've seen before, might have to seek one out. Sounds like they're still being made, just not imported to the US. Here's another good thread from a member on here (on TN site though) with a bunch of options and links - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/80...ega-links.html

Everything I see on this YZZD3 filter says it's a synthetic media, whereas almost everything readily available from the parts store is paper, so without knowing the efficiency of it, it seems like the Thai-made option is better than most others. That's the filter that fixed my VVTi code. Better Thailand than China.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
To be clear, I don't think the Toyota OEM filter is bad, I just don't think it is the best...

My ideal filter setup would be as follows on the 3vze:
-Gold plug magnetic drain plug
-Pareto Point spin on bypass filter piping assembly with amsoil oil filter on the bypass (finned air oil cooler sleeve on the amsoil bypass filter both for protection and cooling)
-the 20004 filter I run (Yzzd3 wouldn't be a bad 2nd choice since you're getting advanced filtration through bypass) w/ a magnetic oil filter sleeve on the filter itself
-the OE pancake oil to water oil cooler
-then my castrol Ti full synthetic oil

Typically, you have a constant tradeoff between filtration and flow... Modern synthetic fibers and other filter mediums make that tradeoff much less severe than it used to be. Additionally, running higher viscosity synthetic oils allows you to run higher filtration filters too without worrying as much about a high filtration filter being constricting of oil flow. When you combine more surface area with oversized filters, you can also run higher filtration filters that way as well....

For those worried about the Pureone's being too restrictive: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/1619451/1
Toyota makes a far superior product to Purolator. The quality of Purolator filters have gone way down and over the past couple of years the issue they've had with tearing is well documented. I see you posted a 5 year old link to BITOG but if you google "purolator tear bitog" you'll get some more recent info. I used to be a fan but not anymore.

Thanks for all of the responses guys, I will stay with the Toyota brand FUEL filter I bought