Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alignment after lower ball joint replacement.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment after lower ball joint replacement.

About 2k miles ago I replaced both my lower ball joints and a cv axle on my 95 4Runner. I was told by a mechanic that I did not need an alignment after the replacement. Now, today I looked at my two front tires and the insides were worn down to almost no tread. The outsides have good tread left and so do the rear tires. Is this because I did not align it after the lower ball joint replacement? I'm pissed because at this rate I'm gonna need two new front tires in probably 5k miles or so. Is the uneven wear because I didn't align it after, or could it be another problem. My idler arm is good and I have all new tie rods from the 50N recall. Also, my front wheel bearings are really bad, could that be the problem? Either way I gotz to get 2 new tires I'm just curious what could have caused them to wear down so fast in 2-3k miles. Arrgghhh, I'm an idiot. Sorry for the two posts I don't know how that happened and I can't fgiure out how to delete one. If someone else could I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by pruney81; 05-26-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a front end man but i have replaced ball joints without lining it up afterwards, and had no issues.......
Old 05-26-2007, 07:03 PM

Well, I got into a front end collsion and the frame was bent on the passenger side and I had a buddy pull it out at a shop for dirt cheap so maybe that's why. The car drives straight tho... What causes the inside of the tires to wear out? Is it toed out too much? Any opinions/insight would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:14 PM

You nailed it, toe out. Bet if you take your hand and gently rub open palmed, you will find the tread is also "feather-edged". higher on one side than the other.

You should be within 1/32 to 1/16" to stop this really. Generally towards toe-in.

I replaced my balljoints (all 4) in October 2004. I have since been driving on the same set of tires, never did an alignment other than checking things with a string and have about 60,000 miles on my tires. I will probably be able to go another year with them too.

I will have to take pictures to show how to do an alignment with string. It's something I was shown how to do on a Willy's M151 jeep, the old Dodge Ram 880 pick-ups, chevy pick-up and the army HMMWV.

Heck of a lot cheaper too.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:37 PM

I'm probably just gonna suck it up and get two new tires as theyare pretty much ruined now anyways. I'd say I've got 10k miles tops on em maybe 15. But the rears probably have a good 40 or so left. I think they just did a half assed alignment. I only paid 200 bucks to get the frame pulled and the supposed alignment though so I can't complain I guess. I'm just venting more than anything.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by pruney81
.... I think they just did a half assed alignment. I only paid 200 bucks to get the frame pulled and the supposed alignment though so I can't complain I guess. I'm just venting more than anything.

Every time one replace components on older high millage vehicle alignment check should be done.

Alignment this alignment that. I see often here people use word "alignment" like everybody know what is it, so what really is it?

When one replace ball joints on truck with NO OTHER issiues I would not expect to throw front end out of specs, BUT how do you know? It is good practice to check it.
To set up vehicle on modern wireless alignment comp. and get readings takes 10 minutes. Why not to do it.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:02 AM

Yeah, I plan on doing that this week. I need to go get two new front tires first as they are looking pretty dangerous. Calm down Euro, you seem a little agitated this morning buddy. Have a grear labor bro.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by EUROJulian
Every time one replace components on older high millage vehicle alignment check should be done.

Alignment this alignment that. I see often here people use word "alignment" like everybody know what is it, so what really is it?

When one replace ball joints on truck with NO OTHER issiues I would not expect to throw front end out of specs, BUT how do you know? It is good practice to check it.
To set up vehicle on modern wireless alignment comp. and get readings takes 10 minutes. Why not to do it.

Be careful with statements like everybody.

Some of us are or have been certified auto techs. As a result, there are things some of us have learned that are truly shortcuts and different ways of doing things.

Think about it this way, 50 years ago, how was an alignment done? Not with any fancy laser or mirror and light get-up.

Some of us learned new and old school. Now that I don't have access to a new machine, I went back to old school ways. Some of which are hard as hell to learn on your own.

With today's desire to be "latest technology", those arts and skills are fast being replaced and forgotten.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by farmerj
Be careful with statements like everybody.

Some of us are or have been certified auto techs. As a result, there are things some of us have learned that are truly shortcuts and different ways of doing things.

Think about it this way, 50 years ago, how was an alignment done? Not with any fancy laser or mirror and light get-up.

Some of us learned new and old school. Now that I don't have access to a new machine, I went back to old school ways. Some of which are hard as hell to learn on your own.

With today's desire to be "latest technology", those arts and skills are fast being replaced and forgotten.
I`m a technocrat budd. I care only for latest technology on my line of work. I do not belive in any "old school" as it is related to alignment work.
I remember old days well, and I now it sucked.

Wireless computer aligner is just a tool, nothing else. Thinking and adjustment should be done by the tech, just like before.

That "old school" thing, it is just balloney.
Problem on hand: Good ,well trained expirienced techs drift to small shops, where they can get rerspect and good pay. But they can`t afford latest equipement and technology in those shops.
Chain stores have good equipement, but kids out of the school behind them.

Expirienced tech with latest technology, end of story.

For sentimental purposes I work on $300, 20 years old truck and some other old irons, even older.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 05-28-2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:42 AM

To each his own but i will stick with old school proven ways of doing things rather than computers...... A example is a parts store, if the dude working in there, cant find something in the puter about it, he can't do anything, I would not trade 1 old school parts stores for 10 autozones or any of the the other computerized part finders.. Plus alot of you techno people are going to starve to death if something ever really disrupts our power sources, like a war on our ground
Old 05-28-2007, 06:48 AM

HAHAHA......So I'm gonna get two new tires and hopefully find a shop that can give me a proper alignment. I'm only 25 but I respect old school ways of doing anything. I guess I'm just an old soul. I hate big corporate chains as well, but Mom and Pop anything is getting harder to find these days. So, Robert32 do you think I just need to get a "correct" alignment? I'm not mechanic by the way I just love my Toyota! Peace, I'm going fishing.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:58 AM

Yep, I would get it checked out and watch them and ask questions while there doing it.. Some of them will mess you around..
Old 05-28-2007, 07:09 AM

I'm not gonna' touch the argument regarding new/old school alignment techniques, but how about using the string/yardstick/draw on the floor method, take it to a shop and compare your findings with the printout and make your decision based hard numbers instead of someone else's prejudices regarding the pros and cons of the method used to achieve your goal: a proper alignment and reduced tire wear. At the very least, you'll find out how good or bad you are at low-tech home alignments. One thing is for sure, if you think you are not going to enjoy the project, just take it to the pros in the first place and be done with it.

I must agree with Robrt32 on the auto parts issue. After years of return trips to Autozoned and other stores (chain or otherwise), I finally found an auto parts store with grease under their nails, fat, old guys sitting around BS'ing and smoking. Despite these shenanigans/distractions they always know the proper part, if they have it and when it'll be there if they don't. Si I got that going or me.

My 2$, just felt like chatting.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 AM

YEAHHHHH!!! Group Hug