86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Airbox Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbox Mod.

I know there is already a thread so please don't link me to it, THX. just wondering how many of you 2nd geners have done the mod and any likes or dislikes you might have about it. i was also a little unsure about when you do the mod do you also remove (and when i say remove i mean do not put back on ) the metal flap\vent or whatever metal junk there is behind the headlite that goes to the air box? or do those metal pieces need to be put back on? thinking of doing the mod but..?...thanks.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

i did the airbox mod on my 3.0 with a K&N filter. all i dod was took the "funnel" from behind the headlight off and the tube that feed it inot the airbox out. some guys drill the bottom of the box out but i wasn't going to og that far.

i like it...with the new filter it seems to give a throaty sound even without the ISR mod(comming next). little bit better throttle response...i doubt if any extra power.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

I am the one that put the write up in the tech section. All the parts are plastic and take about 5 minutes to remove. You will have no issues with them out. I would do it.. It's free and super easy. If you don't like it, it would only take a few minutes to put it back together.

Here's the write up
Old 01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't done it and consider it a nearly worthless mod. Yes, the intake behind the headlight is probably restrictive. But you're swapping a restrictive cold air intake for an unrestricted hot-engine air intake. Every time I open the hood I look at the intake and try to think of a better solution...the only one I can see is a snorkel...not in my immediate plans. So I'll make do.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

i did the air box mod and removed the pieces from behind the headlight. it does sound a bit more 'growly' but im not sure about any performance gains. im holding off on the isr mod for now as a snorkel may be in the works.

lee
Old 01-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brandontrek
i did the airbox mod on my 3.0 with a K&N filter. all i dod was took the "funnel" from behind the headlight off and the tube that feed it inot the airbox out. some guys drill the bottom of the box out but i wasn't going to og that far.

i like it...with the new filter it seems to give a throaty sound even without the ISR mod(comming next). little bit better throttle response...i doubt if any extra power.
i did the same thing
it works out fine and i have my toyboxfab tube comming this week hopefully so ill report on that also
Old 01-29-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I removed the junk behind the light and did the deckplate mod (gonna run a snorkel in the future) as well as the ISR. I noticed much better throttle response and I'd say it pulls a bit better. I kinda doubt the ISR is responsible for the better performance though.

Here's what I think about drawing the hot air. Although you will get more performance from colder air you will severly reduce performance with restricted air. Plus you're still gonna get clean cold air in from behind the light when moving so I don't see the loss.

ISR with the stock plenum is a waste of time IMHO (even though I did it, lol). Airbox mod is for sure worth it, if you also open it up more. Deckplate mod worked great for me.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:06 PM

you can also drill a bunch of holes in the headlight bezel to allow more air through which is what i did.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:36 PM

Thx for the replies, think i will just remove the "funnel" that goes to the airbox and see what goes on...not sure about this ISR mod ? although I haven't heard much about it.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

I pulled the plastic out also and cut about a third of the air box out between the two mounts. It worked great and had no issues regarding rain...I tried.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:12 PM

I removed everything -- silencer box, air box, funnel -- everything. I slapped the K&N filter on the front of the AFM and have been running it that way for about two years. I haven't had any appreciable performance gains, but no negative consequences, either.

Just this weekend I put on a new intake tube (from Cootees) and it pushes the AFM forward a couple of inches. The best thing for me to do at this point since I can re-anchor the air filter is to do a home made snorkel. I already order the snorkel head from ARB and will be fabricating the rest from plumbing stuff. My only problem is how to place a filter in-line. I can't put back the stock air box (I foolishly tossed it a couple of years ago, and I'm not even sure it would fit), and I can't use the K&N filter. I'm going to have to fab some kind of box and use a different filter.

Ed