86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket Headlights Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Headlights Anyone?

Someone shot my front headlights so I was looking to ask if any of you guys know where I can get some xenon lights for my 88 toyota truck...

just a list of different aftermarket lights would be fine too but I cant remember what they were called and have been searching for hours now with just conversion kits showing up...

all help is appreciated!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
autopal

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...e-code-221209/
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Thank you for the link!

I will order a set tonight after I figure out what bulbs exactly to get...

The listing says it comes with WHITE bulbs...

1. then he says add $2 if you want CITY LIGHT which i believe is the halo look right? how can i connect this anyways??...

2. then below it gives the option to add $4 to get WHITE 100/55W...

3. add $6 to get WHITE 100/90W

what is the difference between these and which will put out a nice amount of light? I'm a noob at these kinds of things and need advice please...

Last edited by Justin-Toyota; 07-05-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a 91 4runner and i replaced the headlights with an ebay housings and hid set up, was less then 100 for it all, just make sure the housings are clear and glass and if u do hid.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM

I replaced mine with Hella E-Code H4 conversion housings (I think they were $50 each) and went with a 100/55W bulb.

DOT limits bulb brightness to 60/55W (60W high beam/55W low beam). I figure since 90% of the time I'll be driving around with the low beams and that I don't need to draw any more attention to myself I went with the "stock" 55W low beam, but went with the 100W high beam (and upgraded wiring harness) since by the time you click those on you REALLY want to see whats around you and typically return to low beams whenever other cars are around so you're not blinding them.

Check out http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_200...Headlamps.aspx for some more info.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin-Toyota
Thank you for the link!

I will order a set tonight after I figure out what bulbs exactly to get...

The listing says it comes with WHITE bulbs...

1. then he says add $2 if you want CITY LIGHT which i believe is the halo look right? how can i connect this anyways??...
i don't know what those are, but i don't think you'll need them. all the bulbs he sells are a direct plug-in.
2. then below it gives the option to add $4 to get WHITE 100/55W...
those are the ones i would get
3. add $6 to get WHITE 100/90W
and those would be my 2nd choice. like sacrunner said, i wouldn't want to draw too much attention

what is the difference between these and which will put out a nice amount of light? I'm a noob at these kinds of things and need advice please...
also, the guy sells d.o.t. approved ones. for $3 more, it's worth it. but my "off-road-only" lights have passed inspection easily
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
I replaced mine with Hella E-Code H4 conversion housings (I think they were $50 each) and went with a 100/55W bulb.

DOT limits bulb brightness to 60/55W (60W high beam/55W low beam). I figure since 90% of the time I'll be driving around with the low beams and that I don't need to draw any more attention to myself I went with the "stock" 55W low beam, but went with the 100W high beam (and upgraded wiring harness) since by the time you click those on you REALLY want to see whats around you and typically return to low beams whenever other cars are around so you're not blinding them.

Check out http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_200...Headlamps.aspx for some more info.
+1 big time, only I went with the standard wattage on my H4 lamps. But, because I got the really well-made harness from rallylights, I can upgrade the power level on the lamps any time in the future.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Someone shot them???

I'd go Round Eyes
http://www.roundeyes.com/Products-Toyota_Headlamps.html
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thought I should add that "E-code" lights are not DOT approved and are not legal for use on the street in the US.
DOT approved lights flare down to the left and up to the right to minimize blinding oncoming drivers and to help illuminate road signage.
E-code (European) lights flare up to the left since they drive on the left side of the road to light up their street signs.
There are also differences in horizontal cut-off between E and DOT lights.

There is a whole lot of regulations regarding what you can and cannot do with lights on a vehicle in the US such as light output, placement, colors, etc. Headlights have a limit on how low or high they can be from the ground, as do fog and driving lights... and those have different limits. Heck, even a neon light under the dash, if it's glow is visible outside of the vehicle could be illegal. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but the laws are there.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 PM

hey thanks everyone...

yeah i saw that the E-codes are not DOT approved...I will be getting the autopal ones...

only thing im curious about now is i want to get the halo lighting but i realize it has an extra plug for the glow feature...is it worth the hassle? what would i even need to have 2 plugs connecting to the lights? just split the existing plug wire and crimp an end that fits on the 2nd plug?

if its complicated and not worth it i will just be getting regular lights with an added $4 for the 100/55W to have the high beams at a higher output...

low beams stay the same so i guess it would be good right?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
halo glows with the parking lights on, that's why two plugs
Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 AM

i understand what it does and why its there...all im asking is:

would this look nice to have the white trim glow? and

is it hard to connect the 2nd plug on the lights?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Justin-Toyota
i understand what it does and why its there...all im asking is:

would this look nice to have the white trim glow? and

is it hard to connect the 2nd plug on the lights?
Halo lights are like those stupid drop in HID's, leave them to the ricers. If you want more light, IMO the best way to go is to add more lights. I used to have a pic somewhere with my baja bug parked next to a late model pickup with HID's, the Hella 500's I had on the pillars of the bug reached farther, were brighter and didn't blind other drivers unless I flipped the switch.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Curious on this, as well... I've seen lots on the www.roundeyes.com .... but for some reason, while I search on here a LOT, ...didn't see the Autopal ones. My friend, a member on here in L.A., came by the other day... he says he likes the Autopal style ones with the halo, but the halo is already turning yellowish/dingy after a few months of use. Curious if anyone with the autopal ones has had that happen?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 PM

I was thinking the same thats why I was wanting to see if anyone had pics of this halo trim and if I should even bother with it...

might just get regular lights w/ 100/55W white bulbs....best way out?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you just tie the halo's into the parking/corner lights. I'm not dogging them, not at all.. I don't have enough info, Justin, ya know? I just thought it a lil odd that my buddies had ALREADY faded to a yellowish tint after such a short time. His also came with a 'blue look' bulb on the bottom as an option... He disconnected that. I'm waiting to hear from him as to whether they were even this brand that's been posted, "AUTOPAL"... I've heard for a long time of www.roundeyes.com ....... A member on here, I believe, has them..... "Blakefogt" is his name. He has a nice Charcoal Gray runner on here... Look around mid way in his build and you can see them in action.(I'd fish for it, just no time at the moment to hunt for the page, ya know?). He might chime in here.... ? lol.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM

I did the H4 conversion on my Runner after testing the socket continuity.... turns out sealed beams just suck.

I bought Pilot conversion housings off of Amazon for like 25 bucks. Yeah they're cheap, but they fit perfect and they put out BEAUTIFUL light pattern. Still the DOT bottom left -to-top right DOT beam, but the clarity is awesome. No need for HIDs here.