86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Add a leaf for my 89 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Add a leaf for my 89 4Runner

Over the weekend i installed the Procomp 13120 add a leaf ( AAL) to my 89 4Runner. After it was all said and done the vehicle is now level and not noticeably rough. The springs did not come with instructions and I relied on a few YouTube videos for tips on installation. Most videos had the AAL set under the leaf pack, which I did. I was doing some research this evening and came across a couple of posts where the author stated that the AAL should be placed between the lower most leaf and the remaining leaf pack. Is the thicker lower most leaf an overload spring on the SR5 with a V6? Anyway should I reset the AAL between the overload spring and the remainig spring pack? Another problem I ran into was the the u-bolts being a bit short with the AAL and without the washers the nuts are barely even with end of the u-bolts. Should I have new u-bolts made up about an inch or so longer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard - new U bolts each time.

As long as the pack still looks like an upside down pyramid, yer good.
There should be no leafs "sticking out" except the overload (which doesn't touch anything until yer over loaded)
Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I don't have my FSM handy, but there is a stretch spec for u-bolts. Once they measure too long you replace them.

If your AAL is thicker than the free threads you had prior then you need to source longer bolts. A 4x4 shop should be able to get you something based on dimensions; depth vs. throat.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
It might help if you post of picture of your spring pack. Sometimes people remove the overload springs or you might have a totally different spring pack. Speaking for stock springs, the lowest leaf is thicker and is an overload leaf. It shouldn't be touching the other leafs unless the truck is loaded down heavily. Typically by this time the springs have sagged and the overload is contacting the rest of the spring pack. For you add-a-leaf to have the most/correct effect it should be placed above the overload leaf and below the rest of the spring pack. U bolts are often suggested to be replaced each time but I never have unless they are too short or the thread are damaged by rust during removal. If yours are level with the top of the nut they are fine. The threads above the nut do nothing.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
For your add-a-leaf to have the most/correct effect it should be placed above the overload leaf and below the rest of the spring pack. U bolts are often suggested to be replaced each time but I never have unless they are too short or the thread are damaged by rust during removal. If yours are level with the top of the nut they are fine. The threads above the nut do nothing.
This, exactly. Everyone says to replace U-bolts each time but I feel like its almost a waste of money, I've heard of people pulling u-bolts off trucks from the 70's laying in junkyards and running them. That may be a bit extreme but you get the point. Also he is correct about the orientation of leaf's within the pack, overload goes on the bottom.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I added overload springs to my 89 2wd, and the instruction said that the factory overloads could be left in for a little more lift or removed .
I did reuse the original u bolts and it has been around 4 years without any trouble.It is a good idea to check the u bolt torque every 100 miles until they stay at the torque spec.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I appreciate all of the replies. I ended up going to the local spring shop and had some new u-bolts made up and moved the add-a-leaf from under the overload to in between the overload and the rest of the spring pack. I found that after the swap the truck was just a bit higher in the rear vs the front by measuring the body line. In the attached pic you can see the add-a-leaf between the overload the spring pack along with the new u-bolts. All in all I really like the way it came out and the saggy a$$ is no more...

Thanks!

68jimmy
Attached Thumbnails Add a leaf for my 89 4Runner-rear-drum.jpg   Add a leaf for my 89 4Runner-u-bolts.jpg