86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ADD Differential Tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADD Differential Tube

I can't seem to find a straight answer to this. I have a 4.10 nonADD diff installed, and I want to swap in a 4.56 diff that currently has the factory ADD shaft. Rather than jam the ADD into lock, I'd like to swap the nonADD tube over. Do I need to replace the needle bearings with a bushing? Do I need to replace any seals other than silicone the flange? Or do I just unbolt and swap over? I've read a lot of different and misleading answers
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The 7.5" IFS diff

'86-95 IFS trucks and 4Runners, and all '93-98 T100s use a 7.5" front diff that is offset to the passenger's side. Later models came with ADD (Automatic Differential Disconnect) which uses a vacuum actuated mechanism to disconnect the drivers side axle shaft from the differential. Carriers and gear sets are interchangeable between the two different versions (and also happen to be the same as used in the 2wd Toyota pickup 7.5" diffs). One difference between ADD and non-ADD diffs is that the carrier in an ADD differential has needle bearings supporting the axle shafts at the differential. The non-ADD diffs did not have this bearing and sometimes the passenger side axle flange wears the carrier and becomes loose or wobbly, eventually causing oil leaks, noise, and possible spider gear damage. ADD and non-ADD diffs are swappable as are most of their parts. This makes it possible to change your ADD diff to non-ADD by simply swapping parts as I've done in the picture (above). This is desirable to some people since some of the ADD stubs are smaller diameter than the non-ADD stubs and are therefore slightly weaker.

- Passenger's side
- Low pinion
- 27 spline axles

* This diff is based on the 2wd pickup 7.5" rear diff- same internals, different housing.
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#front

You don't even need to silicone the flange. It has an internal axleshaft seal that makes that unnecessary.

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-04-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Dam. I just did this last weekend and couldant figure out how to get the short shaft out of the ADD diff. So I just put on the whole system and locked the fork in place. Works great.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 PM

So it's a better idea to leave the needle bearing in there and just bolt the nonADD shaft up and throw it on? Sounds good to me
Old 12-05-2010, 05:56 PM

No. You can't use the needle bearing with the non-ADD axleshaft. You'll have to remove the needle bearing on that side first. If you wanted to use the passenger side stubshaft from the non-ADD you'd need to remove the needle bearing on the passenger side first too.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the passenger side axle flange wears the carrier and becomes loose or wobbly, eventually causing oil leaks, noise, and possible spider gear damage.

anybody ever have this damage happen??

i plan on switching my '92 4runner over to Manual hubs, and while i'm at it..i WANT to change out the CV's (both) and swap out the ADD tube for a NON-ADD tube.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 PM

how do you remove the needle bearing? when i pulled the non-add shaft off the diff i used two flatbars and it popped right out. im now staring at the "add diff" and cant figure how to get that needle bearing out (i removed the add tube).. help!!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 PM

maybe its not the needle bearing, but i cant get the inner piece (axleshaft?) out of the "add diff". i pulled the add tube off and you can see that gear that spins when you turn the other/passenger side. out of curiosity i pulled the passenger side (axleshaft?) (where the cv joint bolts to the diff) and it popped right off.. i think the other side may be the same way? how do i get it out!?

i can take a picture if no one knows what i mean!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ohoktimmyg
maybe its not the needle bearing, but i cant get the inner piece (axleshaft?) out of the "add diff". i pulled the add tube off and you can see that gear that spins when you turn the other/passenger side. out of curiosity i pulled the passenger side (axleshaft?) (where the cv joint bolts to the diff) and it popped right off.. i think the other side may be the same way? how do i get it out!?

I ran into the same thing and I used two pry bars and what seemed like excessive force to remove it. Didn't damage the housing and it did pop out just takes some effort. Drove in the new seal and it seems to be working fine
Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 PM

hm. i bent a flatbar lol, and i didnt wanna damage the inner part where the tubes mate. and what is this seal you are talking about? (you pressed in?)
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Here's the FSM pages on it. It says you need a gear puller type tool to get that out(page SA-84).
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...le/24disas.pdf

But, if you can't pry it or pull it out like that, I'd take the carrier cover off. Then use the pinion(spider gear)shaft as a pivot point to lever/force it out from the inside.
hm. i bent a flatbar lol, and i didnt wanna damage the inner part where the tubes mate. and what is this seal you are talking about? (you pressed in?)
When you get it out, you'll need to put the axleshaft seal where it was. See your non-ADD diff for what I mean. So do be careful not to mess up the place where the outer portion of the seal needs to fit tightly. If you do mess it up, the seal's gonna leak from around the outer edge. Of course a little RTV would probably be all that would be needed to solve that. But taking care not to do the damage in the first place is your best bet.

It's actually the same axleshaft seal as the one on the passenger side of the housing. I was incorrect in believing that the ADD diffs had the seal installed from the factory, apparently they don't. If you're careful, you can probably remove and re-use one from the non-ADD diff though. Remember, either side has the same seal. So, you've got two shots at pulling a used one without wrecking it in the process. If not, they're cheap enough.

Hey...the good news is you might not have to remove those needle bearings though. By looking at the diagrams a little closer, it seems as though they might not cause any fitment issues. If they do, then you're gonna really hate me. Because they're pressed into the differential case, and you'll need to pull it, before you can knock them out from the inside of it(as the FSM suggests to).

I'm sure someone would have mentioned that as being necessary. So, it appears I may have jumped the gun in saying that you needed to do so. When I'm not at all sure that you really do. I was assuming that they came out easy enough as to not require mentioning the specific method of doing so. Apparently not, and once again I'm representing the A S S in assuming.

Let me know if you have any success at this. I need some redemption at this point.

Sorry I wasn't too informed ahead of time on this one. I should have done more research first. My bad.

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-22-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:05 PM

wow! i super appreciate the reply! i ended up getting it off last night around 2am est. i think im just gonna rtv it and call it done. thanks everyone for helping me out
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM

This much I know FOR SURE, you NEED to have that axleshaft seal in place. RTV just ain't gonna cut it, and as a matter of fact it won't do you any good at all. The seal is what does the job, no RTV required.

The axleshaft seal is a CRITICAL component. You CANNOT go without it. The seal itself is all that's keeping the gear oil inside the diff and from filling the tube. Once it's in the tube it can EASILY leak past the bearing at the end of the axleshaft and right on out the end of the tube.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 PM

The seal is about $15 from Toyota, or $5+shipping from rockauto.com. I tapped it in with a piece of PVC. As for the needle bearings, I left mine in there. I mic'd the ends of each shaft and they're the exact same size. The only difference was the nonADD shaft didn't have the little nose at the end like the ADD stub did. Didn't really notice if it went into another bearing or not. It could be similar to a transmission and pilot bearing deal. For now I'm gonna leave the needle bearings in there and see how it does
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
the passenger side axle flange wears the carrier and becomes loose or wobbly, eventually causing oil leaks, noise, and possible spider gear damage.

anybody ever have this damage happen??

i plan on switching my '92 4runner over to Manual hubs, and while i'm at it..i WANT to change out the CV's (both) and swap out the ADD tube for a NON-ADD tube.
keep it functioning then when your hubs are locked you can still shift on the fly and stop the front shaft from spinning, best of both worlds
Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by InvaderTrax
For now I'm gonna leave the needle bearings in there and see how it does
Any word on this? I'm currently looking to replace my front diff, and if it's really this easy I'll include ADD diffs in my search.