Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

acetone in fuel for better mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
acetone in fuel for better mileage???

I'm sure that some of you guys have read several articles on the internet about this topic. Some folks say it really works & they swear by it while others say it is just total BS. You can go to google or youtube & look it up. It seems that the correct amount to add is 2oz per 10 gallons of gas. These articles say that if less is added that you won't see very much of a gain & if too much acetone is added that the MPG will actually go down. I am always very skeptical when it comes to any claims of better fuel mileage as they are usually BS (tornado, fuel magnets, etc)
So, What do you guys think? Have any of you used acetone in your fuel? Does anyone have any plans on trying this? I have been tracking my fuel mileage very closely since I purchased my truck & I am averaging right at 18 MPG combined city/highway driving. I drive with a light foot & never floor it. I am going to run a full tank of fuel along with the recommended amount of acetone & see if it makes a difference. by the way the truck is a 1990 Toyota 2WD xtra cab V-6 with auto trans. I'm not expecting a jump in fuel economy but we will see.
I would like to hear from anyone who has ever tried this & I will update the post after I fuel back up again.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i think your best route for better fuel mileage is for simple power adders (headers,free flowing exhaust and a good CAI) adding acetone? not so sure about that one,
Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yoterr
i think your best route for better fuel mileage is for simple power adders (headers,free flowing exhaust and a good CAI) adding acetone? not so sure about that one,
Yes, I agree with you. I just wanted to see if anyone has ever used acetone before? Like I said above, I'm fairly sure that I won't see any mileage gains but at the same time I am curious to see if it works. I'm not some fool who expects to see a 50% increase or something crazy like that. If by some miracle it does increase mileage by 5-10 percent then that would be fantastic though I'm not betting on it. I just had to try it to see the results for myself. We will see.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm not sure of the chemical properties of acetone, but I really don't like the idea of running anything through my fuel system eccept for gasoline and maybe the occational fuel cleaner... but at least that's specifically designed for that, lol
Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran it a while ago. It worked in my old Honda that had a carb which it did great in, but then i tried to run it through efi yota and although i got better gas millage if i wanted to accelerate quickly it would jolt. So i don't use it anymore. I do occasionally use Lucas fuel conditioner and i found that i do get about 2 mpg's more with that. cost like 10 bucks but you still use about 3 ounces to 10 gallons. I won't try any more unofficial fuel additives anymore.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM

someone brought this up before and the main concern was that acetone would eat the seals
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a friend that has used alcohol before a smog check , yes he passed.
But dont know anybody that has used acetone.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Acetone burns very clean. It will not taint emissions at all. I tried it and noticed no difference in mileage.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 PM

I have used Toluene before, after thorough research. I have never done research on acetone. To simplify things, gasoline is a mixture of things, there isn't "pure gasoline" sold at stations. Most gasoline has toluene in already as an anti-detonant. THe more anti-detoanant, the higher the octane rating. IF acetone has similar properties, here is what may POSSIBLY give better gas mileage:

1. Your vehicles ECU tries to bump up the timing, with higher octane (any anti-detonant), it will allow the ECU to advance the timing slightly higher before the knock sensor tells it to stop.
2. You manually change your timing advanced, and the anti-detonant keeps it from knocking.

Again, thats a very simplified summary. Hope it helps.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Acetone is a vary hot solvent, which means it changes state from liquid to vapor vary easily. That being stated, Acetone has a vary low octane level. To clarify the importance of Octane, the higher the octane the more resistance to heat the fuel has. Higher compression makes more heat in the combustion chamber which needs higher octane fuel. So if Acetone dose work and adds to the mpg you would still risk pre-detonation.

the major issue with Acetone it sense it is so hot of a solvent you will slowly destroy your entire fueling system.

If you truly want to increase your mpg, increase your compression ratio or add a turbo and run e85.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:36 AM

E85 will drop your mpg 3-4 mpgs. I've driven E85 vehicles on both regular fuel and e85. Acetone is said to improve performance and mpg by reducing the surface tension of the gasoline and therefore improving the atomization of the fuel for a more efficient burn. I don't see how such small quantities could hurt the fuel system. I ran it in my '06 tacoma and noticed a little better throttle response but decided it wasn't worth the hassle to mix it in with every tank. As long as I can find 100% gas and not the e10 which is most everywhere now I am good to go.

Fast Lane
'88 4x4 pickup 22 re 54K miles Toyo Open Country A/T 265/75/15, cragar black soft 8.
Pacesetter catback.
'06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Sport TRD exhaust. Billstein 5100s set at 1.75" lift and Toyo Open Country A/T 265/70/17
Old 05-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acetone is supposed to lower the vapor pressure of the gasoline making it mix with air more efficiently inside the cylinders. The results have been mixed with this idea.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by FastLane1000
E85 will drop your mpg 3-4 mpgs. I've driven E85 vehicles on both regular fuel and e85. Acetone is said to improve performance and mpg by reducing the surface tension of the gasoline and therefore improving the atomization of the fuel for a more efficient burn. I don't see how such small quantities could hurt the fuel system. I ran it in my '06 tacoma and noticed a little better throttle response but decided it wasn't worth the hassle to mix it in with every tank. As long as I can find 100% gas and not the e10 which is most everywhere now I am good to go.
what you do with e85 is fill up a gas can and let it sit outside for a day or two and let the gas inside evaporate to leave you with some pure alcohol to use a fuel. now the reason you had less mpg with an e85/gas vehicle is because the compression ratio in the motor is set for the gasoline not the e85 so of course the gasoline will get better mpg

you have to remember that e85 has a much high octane level when compared to 87 octane gas. the 85 in e85 stands for the percentage of alcohol in e85 fuel

as for acetone in your fuel, dumbest thing i've heard in a while. acetone is a major solvent used in cleaning applications and will damage you fuel lines if used. also the acetone mixed in the fuel will evaporate before it hits the combustion camber because it evaporates at 133F so it will not do anything to the performance. the only reason you noticed better performance is because as the acetone evaporated it release a little oxygen into the fuel
Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back in '06 I tried the acetone gimmick in as objective a way I was able. For a few months during that summer I was driving the same 72mi stretch of highway in my '94 base model truck. I even filled up at the same pump at the same station with the same grade. Ambient temps were consistently around 90-100 degrees. I had been checking my economy just for the sake of curiosity and made a game of trying to improve it with my driving. It eventually leveled out around 31mpg on regular old Arco 87. I had heard of using acetone, so I started adding the recommended 2oz per tank. I did that for another month and recorded absolutely no change in fuel economy. The only difference was that adding acetone was costing me about $1 more per fill up.

Even laboratory testing has shown that it doesn't do a damn thing.

While it is a blog and thus not vetted, this guy points out a lot of incongruous and pseudoscientific claims made by Louis LaPointe, a and/or the big touter of acetone as fuel additive. I can't find his site anymore.

Originally Posted by [AFG]Sp1ck
1a.) what you do with e85 is fill up a gas can and let it sit outside for a day or two and let the gas inside evaporate to leave you with some pure alcohol to use a fuel. 1b.)now the reason you had less mpg with an e85/gas vehicle is because the compression ratio in the motor is set for the gasoline not the e85 so of course the gasoline will get better mpg

2.) acetone is a major solvent used in cleaning applications and will damage you fuel lines if used. also the acetone mixed in the fuel will evaporate before it hits the combustion camber because it evaporates at 133F so it will not do anything to the performance. the only reason you noticed better performance is because as the acetone evaporated it release a little oxygen into the fuel
1a.) Try that and let us know how it turns out. It won't be anywhere near pure alcohol. What it will be is stale and possibly water contaminated E85.
1b.) The reason fuel economy is worse with E85 is because the functional AFRs are numerically much lower than gasoline, not because it is 105 octane. The octane doesn't help, but it nowhere near significantly responsible for a 15-30% drop in economy.

2.) First of all, many fuel and octane additives contain acetone; it doesn't damage modern fuel system components. Second, the oxygen atom in acetone is only freed when the acetone is burned, not simply when the acetone evaporates.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 05-19-2009 at 04:42 PM.