86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS wheel speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS wheel speed sensor?

Hey fellow yota enthusiasts. I’m new to the scene and starting off my 2nd Gen T4R build, also I apologize in advance for my noob questions and any unclear yota vocabulary.
A Spartan locker is on order for my truck, so before it arrives I figured I’d prep the truck so I could speed up the install process. When I drained the rear diff and then began to work at removing the sensor up on top of the differential. (Im not positive what it’s called and what it does, ABS? Wheel speed sensor?) ANYWAY.. it was stuck in there pretty good, and unfortunately I wasn’t careful enough and it broke from the top, leaving the remaining body of the sensor in the differential.

1. I’m wondering if this sensor stuck in there will stop the third member from coming out?
2.Does this send info back to the speedometer for vehicle speed or is it for ABS?
-If it is for ABS(which I don’t mind not having), if I go without replacing it will it affect anything other than the abs system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I wanna get this rear locked today!!��

OH! And it’s a 93’ 3veezy with a M/T

Last edited by adrianbarbosa; 06-20-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:21 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I did the same thing when I put in my TrueTrac. It's easy to do.

The sensor counts the teeth on the ring gear as they go by to indicate rear axle average speed. It's for the rear wheel ABS, and has no other function. The speedometer is driven from a speed sensor on the output shaft of the transfer case, so not affected by this.

To answer your questions,
1) It won't keep the 3rd from coming out.
2) It's only used for the ABS, which on the '93 is a fairly primitive ABS in the first place. It simply looks at rear wheel speed and modulates the rear brakes to keep the rear end from locking up. Believe it or not, it uses the power steering system pressure to do the brake modulation. Obviously an attempt to get some kind of ABS into the sales literature while they were working on the 4-wheel version which came out on the 3rd gen.

If you leave it broken, it will permanently light the orange "antilock" light on your dash under the speedometer (or tach, I forget which). If you can live with that, you're good to go. If you want to repair it, you'll have to get the old one out (easier when the 3rd is out of the truck), order a new one ($100 or so), and connect it in. It comes with a pigtail and connector, but the connector is in an impossible place above the frame beside the spare tire. I gave up on the connector and just spliced the wires from the new part to the old wiring harness.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you RJR!! I was able to get the locker in last night. I was worried about that sensor having other affects, but thanks for explaining that. The ABS sensor was removed, but the “Rear Antilock” light hasn’t illuminated on the dash yet. When I bought it the light was on, so the sensor may have already been bad, or the bulb for the light might have died out by now. Anyway, as for the rest of the locker install. It went pretty smooth, much easier than I anticipated once the third member was out of the truck. Took it out for a little test lap and WOW what a change in driving characteristics. Off-road(fireroads) it is a whole lot more playful having both rears spinning, but I’ve yet to take it on any real trails. It seems to be locked most of the time when in parking lots or when making any kind of relatively tight turn. From what I’ve read this is normal and dosent bother me. But as for the new tires I had mounted 2 days ago... whelp they may not last too long haha.

Last edited by adrianbarbosa; 06-21-2018 at 08:19 AM.