Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A340H in a first generation 4Runner???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A340H in a first generation 4Runner??? And it's shifting erratically?

Folks -

I apologize if this is posted somewhere else, but I've been searching for two days now and can't find a thing.

This rig in my signature is my daily driver. I've had some shifting problems for quite some time now. Trans shift on point, but does so erratically. Shifts from 1st to 2nd without any problems. However shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to OD is where the problem comes up. If I'm in the gas any whatsoever, it'll shift hard, bottom the RPMs, and then jump them back up. I think it's the torque converter. Almost like it's shifting without the TC locked up (hence bottoming the RPMs), then locks it up and jumps the RPMs back up. Also, if driving at highway speeds (65+ miles per hour), it has no passing gear. You have to floor it and drop it into 3rd to get any passing speed. Once in 3rd, the TC seems to engage, as it repeats the same erratic shifting going back into OD. Shifts absolutely fine without the ECT computer connected and manual shifting (skipping 2nd of course). This would make sense with a going TC as disconnecting the ECT disengages the TC.

I was thinking a solenoid, but may have ruled it out. The only thing I'm questioning is that the little test that checks the TC seems to respond. Tapping the brake while holding the throttle steady at 50 miles per hour, causes the RPMs to jump 3-400. Which means the solenoid is engaging the TC. Right?

So, I'm thinking about replacing the fluid to include the TC and see where it gets me. If not, it may be time to replace the TC. So, if I'm going to do that, I may as well do a manual swap.

But here's my real question...I've always thought that ALL first generation 4runners with the AT and 22re had the A340F. However, when I pulled the code from the firewall, it seemed to indicate that it had the A340H. Is that possible?

My build code reads: 3E4-FL31-G282-A340H. I'm pretty sure the last 5 letters are the A340H. Yes? So looking closer at the tranny, it maybe looks like the A340H (missing the bump out by the shift linkage).

My model number is: RN61LV-PSEA. So I know it came with the 22re and it's not a swap in job that's got all the codes mixed. Plus the trans code is on the same plate, so it's still pointing to a 22re and A340H setup.

So somebody help me out here...was the A340H ever used in the first generation 4runners with the 22re?

Oh, and if you got any advice on the erratic shifting, I'd appreciate that as well.

Last edited by chewie1014; 02-11-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Oh and anyone want to point me to a W56 5 speed and all the necessaries to do a manual swap. I'd really love a complete donor, but will make do without. First generation 4runners are pretty rare around here and I've not found much at the pick-n-pulls. A couple pickups, but am not sure if the pedal assembly is the same. Any pointers? I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but this would be my first ever AT to MT swap. Assuming I do the swap.

I can rip the engine down to the block and build it back...but admit to scratching my head a bit around the transmission.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Dude I have an 88 22re and a 88 3.0, both auto's and I think I came across the same thing, let me check it tomorrow and i'll get back with you........
I am doing a manual swap on my 3.0 as well

Last edited by Shawn6string; 02-11-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 PM

This is the same problem I am having! I posted yesterday on two websites and nobody has responded to them. I know mine has something to do with the tps adjustment. Mine shifted like this but down lower in first and second gear so I adjusted it according to 4crawlers web site and now its doing exactly what yours is doing. Same thing as before but in 3rd and overdrive
Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 AM

I thought mine might be the TPS as well, but have replaced it and adjusted accordingly. Could it be in the harness? And if so, where do I start looking. I'm really banging my head on the wall with this one...and no one seems to have an idea.

A manual swap sounds so good right now...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Weird shifting patterns in the 340H is usually a solenoid problem.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are running 31" or larger tires, you need to use the power mode. It will shift at higher rpms in power mode. The larger tires throws off the speed sensors. If you did the manual shift with the ect unplugged and all was fine, then the torque convertor isn't holding lock-up. The transmission works off pressure, which is from the throttle cable that is next to the gas cable, it runs into the valve body. To really rule out the torque convertor, (what I did) you can cut the wire going to the lock-up solenoid on the driver side of the tranny. When I did that, I had no lock-up and no problems. When I get home, I can tell you which color it is. There's a guy in Conway, SC that rebuilds torque convertors, it cost me $125 and he made it bullet proof. He said the center of mine was broken, don't remember the terminology he used.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
If you are running 31" or larger tires, you need to use the power mode. It will shift at higher rpms in power mode. The larger tires throws off the speed sensors. If you did the manual shift with the ect unplugged and all was fine, then the torque convertor isn't holding lock-up. The transmission works off pressure, which is from the throttle cable that is next to the gas cable, it runs into the valve body. To really rule out the torque convertor, (what I did) you can cut the wire going to the lock-up solenoid on the driver side of the tranny. When I did that, I had no lock-up and no problems. When I get home, I can tell you which color it is. There's a guy in Conway, SC that rebuilds torque convertors, it cost me $125 and he made it bullet proof. He said the center of mine was broken, don't remember the terminology he used.
Running 29" tires (which is stock for the most part). Does the same thing in normal or power mode.

It'd be awesome if you could get me the wire color so I can either diagnose it as the TC or rule it out. Thanks!!!

Last edited by chewie1014; 02-12-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 AM

Yea mine is definitely doin what yours is doing. At least it sounds like it. Did adjusting the the tps change anything for you? I'm going to take the bottom screw out of the tps so I can adjust it with just the top one and make a little adjustment and go drive it and repeat till I can tell for sure that the tps is the problem. The only way to check the harness would be to trace all of the wires back to the ecm. I was also gonna try this if adjusting it didn't do anything. I'm almost tempted to do a manual swap but I really would like the auto if the stupid thing would shift like its supposed to. I'll get my turbo and manifold back on today and hopefully get to tinkering with the tranny problem tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by chewie1014
Running 29" tires (which is stock for the most part). Does the same thing in normal or power mode.

It'd be awesome if you could get me the wire color so I can either diagnose it as the TC or rule it out. Thanks!!!
New info:

Apparently I made up the notion that it was doing the same thing in power mode that it's doing in normal. BUT, I went out during lunch and drove it a good bit in power mode and other than it shifting at a higher RPM, it did NOT do the odd shift. No drop of RPMs and jumping back up. I guess the other time I've done it, the higher rev plus the slightly harder shift felt a bit like a problems. Long story short...it's not creating the same erratic shift in the power mode.

So...still the TC? Or maybe the speed sensor?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedRNR
Yea mine is definitely doin what yours is doing. At least it sounds like it. Did adjusting the the tps change anything for you? I'm going to take the bottom screw out of the tps so I can adjust it with just the top one and make a little adjustment and go drive it and repeat till I can tell for sure that the tps is the problem. The only way to check the harness would be to trace all of the wires back to the ecm. I was also gonna try this if adjusting it didn't do anything. I'm almost tempted to do a manual swap but I really would like the auto if the stupid thing would shift like its supposed to. I'll get my turbo and manifold back on today and hopefully get to tinkering with the tranny problem tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.
Adjusting the TPS didn't make any difference. Just allowed me clean the throttle body really good.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There are white and black wires for the 1,2 shift solenoids. The yellow wire is the lock up solenoid. It's the group that enter near the linkage on the side of the tranny. When you cut it, just to make sure, you can do a continuity test by connecting a piece of wire to it and run it inside to the ect. Unplug the ect and connect the ohm meter to the wire and S3 on the plug harness, 3rd from left on top row.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

A tune up and high octane gas, injector cleaned (lucust) Plugs and wires did the trick for me. Started shifting great. Keep it in power mode.......

Last edited by Shawn6string; 02-13-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM

I am having the same exact problem in both modes. 1-2 are great but when it goes to 3rd it acts as if it doesn't know what to do and goes back and forth rapidly. I have tried adjusting the TPS, throttle cable, tune up, solenoids with all new ones, fresh fluid and filter...starting to think that maybe the ECU is bad? Only does it between 30-40 mph...that is on 32's with 5.29 gears. I am stumped...gonna maybe try changing computers if I can find one as well as the speed sensors if I can find those.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM

what would be the cause of NO "KICKDOWN"?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a 3L and A340H with some slight shift problems, also.
So, I am into this thread.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by chewie1014
Folks -

I apologize if this is posted somewhere else, but I've been searching for two days now and can't find a thing.

This rig in my signature is my daily driver. I've had some shifting problems for quite some time now. Trans shift on point, but does so erratically. Shifts from 1st to 2nd without any problems. However shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to OD is where the problem comes up. If I'm in the gas any whatsoever, it'll shift hard, bottom the RPMs, and then jump them back up. I think it's the torque converter. Almost like it's shifting without the TC locked up (hence bottoming the RPMs), then locks it up and jumps the RPMs back up. Also, if driving at highway speeds (65+ miles per hour), it has no passing gear. You have to floor it and drop it into 3rd to get any passing speed. Once in 3rd, the TC seems to engage, as it repeats the same erratic shifting going back into OD. Shifts absolutely fine without the ECT computer connected and manual shifting (skipping 2nd of course). This would make sense with a going TC as disconnecting the ECT disengages the TC.

I was thinking a solenoid, but may have ruled it out. The only thing I'm questioning is that the little test that checks the TC seems to respond. Tapping the brake while holding the throttle steady at 50 miles per hour, causes the RPMs to jump 3-400. Which means the solenoid is engaging the TC. Right?

So, I'm thinking about replacing the fluid to include the TC and see where it gets me. If not, it may be time to replace the TC. So, if I'm going to do that, I may as well do a manual swap.

But here's my real question...I've always thought that ALL first generation 4runners with the AT and 22re had the A340F. However, when I pulled the code from the firewall, it seemed to indicate that it had the A340H. Is that possible?

My build code reads: 3E4-FL31-G282-A340H. I'm pretty sure the last 5 letters are the A340H. Yes? So looking closer at the tranny, it maybe looks like the A340H (missing the bump out by the shift linkage).

My model number is: RN61LV-PSEA. So I know it came with the 22re and it's not a swap in job that's got all the codes mixed. Plus the trans code is on the same plate, so it's still pointing to a 22re and A340H setup.

So somebody help me out here...was the A340H ever used in the first generation 4runners with the 22re?

Oh, and if you got any advice on the erratic shifting, I'd appreciate that as well.
Yes i have seen several 1st gens with A340H I find the A340F is harder to find.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Sounds like an issue I'm having too. Pretty sure mine's an A340H in a 1985 4runner. Will verify in the morning.

Did you ever fix this?