Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A340f Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm down in Tampa Bay. I live in lutz, just a few minutes from Land O' Lakes or Odessa. I can post a few pictures if I could figure out how.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Yup, figured it out. Still gotta post them to photobucket but whatever. Gonna take me some time to get all of my rebuild pictures up but will be soon.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Well, all is well with my transmission. My 2-3 shift valve was in backwards as well. The valve I flipped the first time (which was wrong and i flipped it the right way) was my low coast modulator valve and that made L on my shifter engage third gear. When I took it back out again, I found out the 2-3 shift valve was in backwards, flipped that around and it worked like a dream. I did that last Sunday, but I've been working a lot. Now, I'm in the process of looking for an ECU to match mine and a knock sensor like mine.

Also, I have posted a few more pictures to photobucket, but I'll wait till I get a few more up to post them here.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM

Now, I need to ask for suggestions. I haven't logged in since my last post because I've been pretty busy. I have since had the truck die on me.....again. left it alone for the night, and the next morning it half-ass ran. I have since replaced my ECU (O2 sensor circuit was fried), my knock sensor (the other one broke in half), my starter (That died on me too, Drew at D.W.A.T. Racing helped me replace the contacts, we bench tested it and it did nothing, so I got a different one), and I'm sure I missed a few things. The truck was running better than ever until today on my way home from work.

I'm driving down the road and I notice my Torque Converter's not in lock-up, I thought maybe the solenoid was bad, so I'm still driving and it seemed like it dropped out of Overdrive, so I pressed the Overdrive-off button and then it actually went out of overdrive, so I click it back in and it keeps seeming like it's not in overdrive, then another mile later, it's like it dropped out of third almost, then a few miles later it won't barely move, (and it's making the same noise it made before I rebuilt it that was caused by loose torque converter bolts, but now it's making that noise while I'm driving, not just in park or neutral) and that's only when I rev it up really high, so I limped it home at like 10 mph. I've drained the fluid, and it's perfectly fine, not too hot, no water, not burnt, fluid level was fine, no clutch material, no metal shavings, nothing out of the ordinary. And, there are no transmission error codes.

So, I'm pretty sure that it's the POS Torque Converter from Napa. I'm 99% sure it is but I would like to get some opinions before I replace it (which will be as soon as I can get one). I am going to take the pan and possibly the valve body out tonight and take a look inside, to see if anything is not right, but I don't believe it's anything in there. Up until then, Everything worked PERFECT. The truck hauled ass, whipped donuts like crazy and didn't have one quirk or anything that got my attention or worried me, then within 3-4 miles and maybe 5 minutes, it just ˟˟˟˟s the bed.

Suggestions or ideas are appreciated. I'm at my wits end with this thing. I don't mind having to fix things, but I don't enjoy trying to figure out what to replace to fix my problem. Also, please be patient with me on these pictures i promised you guys, I'm trying but I've got a lot of things going on right now and they just keep hittin me one after another. My trains about out of steam at this point, and I don't even know how I'm getting to work on monday if this isn't fixed. I'm a little stressed out.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:05 PM

No suggestions?

Well, anyway, I haven't even ordered a new torque converter or touched my truck for that matter yet because now I've got a much bigger problem. Saturday night (Sunday morning) at about 2 in the morning, I was staying with my brother, and I decided I needed some more stogies, so I hopped in his truck and went to the gas station. I got my stogies and decided to drive around for a little while, and I saw some grass and wanted to tear it up. So I proceeded to do so. And it was fun. Then it was sliding too far and too fast and I decided to stomp the brakes, let it slide to a stop and then keep going. Well, it slid and slid and slid and finally slid to a stop.......after rolling onto the roof. So, I flipped his truck over and I wasn't wearing a seat belt (Thank God for no serious injuries). Long story short, I called my brother, he came, cops came, wrote me a ticket for careless driving (I got off LUCKY), tow truck came, flipped the truck back over, towed it home, then I started it up and drove it into the driveway.

I'm a little depressed at the moment and my truck isn't on the top of my list, but there's no point in waiting, so I'm going to order a torque converter today and when it comes in, hopefully that'll fix the old bird.