Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Jeep 2 door Cherokee crawler or 86 toyota pickup crawler

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr.DJ
I think i might be the only one who can give you an unbiased answer. I currently own a 91 Cherokee, and an 86 22re manual.

i would say the Jeep would be the better 'crawler, and let me tell you why.

First off, Power. The carbureted 22r is more of a high rev romping engine, the 4.0 is going to be better for low rpm torque. Also carburetors are a pain in the ass when you truck will be tilting in every which way on rocks, in terms of fuel starvation. -The Toyota has dual transfercases which increases torque output by way of gears, the Toyota is going to be able to crawl way slower then the Jeep with more torque in Low Low, need proof, check my build thread for when I put 4.7 gears in my truck, I have a video of walking it down the street.

Second is transmission, don't get me wrong, i HATE automatic transmissions, but rock crawling... i would rather the auto. You wont have to worry about shifting while trying to balance on rocks, and also wont have to worry about burning the out of a clutch. You did not mention if the truck is a manual, but i will assume so. and if not, that will be even worse in terms of power. - For the description of the Jeep, the very first line says it is a 5 speed Manual, with the dual transfercase there will be no slipping of the clutch, can't say the same for a manual Jeep.

other things to consider, the truck has an empty bed which gives you little weight in the rear tires. The jeep is also 8 years newer. and the pickup has smog issues. -The Jeep may be 8 Years newer but the Toyota has 30K on a rebuilt engine, the Jeep has 220K on an original engine, the smog may be as simple as some loose vacuum line.

the jeep has 220k miles which is alot for a Domestic, which means you'll have to be VERY through when checking out this vehicle.

**You asked for Crawling, so thats what im answering for. in terms of overall vehicle, a Toyota is ALWAYS going to be better than a Chrysler..
No opinion is unbiased, sorry to tell you. An opinion on what vehicle is better will almost always have some sort of favortism toward one or the other based on the experiences of the person giving the opinion. Its why they call it an opinion and not fact, OP I suggest driving both, do some research and decide for yourself.