86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'94 Headgasket, Tune-up & Bushing questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 Headgasket, Tune-up & Bushing questions

Hi, I'm helping a friend with his '94 4x4, 180K miles, with a 3VZE in it -- it's got a burnt valve, so we've removed the heads for a re-build. I did a lot of searching here (great site ) but still have a few questions that I hope someone can help out with...

1. I broke the collar around a cam bearing and need to replace the cam (passenger side). There doesn't seem to be a part number on the cam - what's the part number and is there a good source (preferably Pacific Northwest) for used Toyota parts? Were these cams on other Toyotas? Given that the headgaskets go bad, I imagine there'd be plenty of these cams lying around somewhere...

2. I read that the valves need adjustment more often than spec (#4 exh. is toast) but found no interval. What is a good adjustment interval?

3. I read about red coolant -- my friend, who's a chemist, insists that it's all the same. Should I *really* use this stuff?

4. We're going to get a gasket set/head bolts from engnblder.com, but I also need a Timing Belt, 3 Drive Belts, Idler Pulley #1, Idler Pulley #2, Water Pump, Thermostat, and a KS wire. What are a couple recommended online parts sources? We're willing to pay a little more for good service and knowledgeable people!

5. It looks like the Toyota FSM is the best manual (we have Chiltons and aren't very happy with it). Can someone confirm that, yes, go with FSM?

6. Should we bother replacing the starter while we're at it?

7. For gaskets, it looks like the last guy in there used some black RTV gasket maker -- is there something better, or should I just repeat that? Also, the valve covers had some bright blue goop at each corner -- I don't recognize this. It's not the blue RTV I'm used to. What is it/what should I use here?

8. My friend has been going with economy-priced tune-up parts, and I want to get the good stuff on this time: what's the recommended plug/wire/cap/rotor set-up?

9. The swaybar end links are toast. The truck has almost 180K miles on it -- are there other bushings that we should tackle that are known to fade with this many miles on it? What about shocks? He's looking to maintain the ride quality -- should we just go OEM?

10. Please tell me the engineer who designed the crossover was fired years ago!

THANKS for any assistance! I realize that this is a lot of questions, and I had some trouble with search terms because they were so common ("cam," "part number," "shocks," etc...)

-Hans in Seattle

Last edited by procainestart; 09-10-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the busted passenger camshaft guide group! Im the presiding president unless you would like the distinction! lol (My broken cam is on ebay with nice pics of the crack for a dollar, you've probably seen it. If nothing more you could collect the busted cams and weld up a table or something....hehehe

Now as far as sourceing a new camshaft, there is a guy on ebay, in an ebay store that sells cams at 128 + 12 shipping. He also has a best offer option.

I also discovered that you can get these cams at your local auto parts stores, however they have to be ordered in and can take a week or two. Cost is 58-90 bux...

Hope that helps.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:42 PM

ps also visit www.sea2skytuning.com for aftermarket cams!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Bumpin' Yota. I did see your cam on eBay -- was able to find one locally...

Nice of you to offer the presidency to me, but I think I'll pass. The pictures of yours look identical to the one I broke. Frustrating, huh...
Old 09-11-2006, 03:56 PM

omg yeah and it was generated by not rotating the cam in such a position so that the cam lobes weren't engaging anything. I also didnt follow the FSM de-torqueing procedure and craaaack!