Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 4x4 toyota pickup clicking from drivers side wheel when manual hub is locked.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbrideau
Im gonna say CV, that's the tell tale sound of when they start to die. Do you have a diff drop installed? If not the extra strain on the CV's from that angle will cause premature wear and you will be swapping it more often than you should be.
Will try the front diff... there are brand new half shafts on both sides (the boots were torn when I bought the truck) so I upgraded to some thicker boots and new halfshafts (they came assembled).. im going to get into the CVs and diff. But wouldnt both sides be doing it if it were the differential. . Just curious.. any feed back would be very helpful at this point.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idk for sure as I never owned the 4wd ifs I went straight from 2wd to sas so kinda skipped that's step
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Just for ˟˟˟˟s and giggles what if you swapped the hubs from left to right and see if the clicking follows? Just a thought!! I think CV as well though!!!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:50 PM

I'm brand new to Yotatech... but I'm on over at tacoma world a bunch... anyways... I developed a "click" from my drivers side a week ago. bought a new CV as was recommended... but when I opened up the hub to get everything apart... I found that my inner hub gear, the one mated to the CV axle, had stripped itself... it ate the teeth so bad that I can't pull the damn thing off now... but I think the "click" is when it's jumping teeth... anyways... now gotta figure out how to pull the gear off so I can replace it AND the CV... as both sets of teeth are distroyed
Old 11-25-2016, 02:51 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
This is a old thread but now I have a clicking when BOTH wheel locks are in lock position. No clicking if only one wheel lock is locked. I checked left LOCK, right FREE. Then tried left FREE, right LOCK. Only clicks when both are in lock position and it does not make any difference if transfer case is in 4WD Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2016, 06:06 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by jazz1
This is a old thread but now I have a clicking when BOTH wheel locks are in lock position. No clicking if only one wheel lock is locked. I checked left LOCK, right FREE. Then tried left FREE, right LOCK. Only clicks when both are in lock position and it does not make any difference if transfer case is in 4WD Any ideas?
i have no idea about your click noise.

however, even though the first post is over three years old, i'm thinking the OP purchased a set of locking hubs for a different application that had the same axle spline count. the internal sliding clutch is too thick, and doesn't fully release. when the wheels are straight, the clutch is engaged even in the "free" position. with the wheels turned, there is just enough clearance for the clutch to slip from the splines when in the "free" position, thus the click as the clutch ratchets the end of the splines.

a side to side comparison will show the difference in thickness of the sliding clutch for the '86-'95 ifs hub vs. whatever the thicker clutch came from.

wally
Old 11-25-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
I can't see it being the wheel locks as they were disassembled and repacked last spring. No issues until a few days ago. The fact both have to be in LOCK position to make the clicking noise is unusual. I am going to lift front end and turn some wheels,,get the stethoscope out...make stick a finger in diff.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
that's why i stated i had no idea about your clicking noise, as opposed to that described by the OP.