Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 22re power loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 22re power loss

Hello all,
So here is my problem, I bought a trashed 22re and rebuilt it, here is the build if you want to know specifics...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...ild-up-250754/

When I first rebuilt it I retarded the timing a little because it ran better that way with the mods I now have. It was running great until I took it into emissions. It failed because it was running too rich. So I brought it back to standard timing and noticed a pretty big power loss. I figured with the rebuild and the numerous parts I replaced something I touched/removed and put back failed. I never could get it to pass emissions but I spent enough money to get it waved here in Idaho. Here are the new parts... coil, plug wires, O2 sensor, rotor, cap, spark plugs, and TPS. I had the injectors cleaned and the TPS is dialed in according to specs. Also I checked the flap in the MAF and it moves like normal. Runs and idles great, minus the power loss, but now when driving in third if I steadily increase the throttle it will jump in and out of having a lot more power. I tried unplugging the cold start injector and running it with no difference. The MAF sensor does not look stock.

Before I go into a frenzy of new parts here are a few things I think it can be...
-Cold start injector stuck wide open.
-Short in wires from coil to fuse box creating a week spark.
-Bad injectors.
-ECU problems
-Bad MAF.

Other than power cutting in and out everything runs awesome, I over killed the break-in changing the oil 4 times in 1000 miles and keeping rpms below 3000 for the entire time. Rear diff and trans in great condition and drive line is new. Any help/ideas will help, thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM

Update: My wife just told me that the truck has been going through gas very quickly. With having the injectors cleaned and looked at I am leaning towards the cold start being stuck wide open. I will change it out on Wednesday and update everyone...
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM

What brand O2 sensor did you use?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM

Bosch I believe, its whatever O'Rielly's sells. I don't have a check engine light on at all and I know my check engine light works from timing it. Could it still be the o2? Should I check for loose connections on the o2 wires? I really think my problem comes from too much fuel or sparks too weak.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM

Our trucks hate Bosch. 100s of threads on this site where guys Bosch didnt work at all or only worked for a short while. You can get the Denso unit on Ebay for about $30.00, direct fit.

Just because your check engine light is off does not mean you do not have any codes. You need to check to be sure.

You can test the O2. Procedure is in the FSM.

O2 controls the amount of fuel. That is actually its primary function, to set air fuel ratio. If you are dumping fuel, the computer is trying to compensate for something and protect your engine.

I assume that you changed the csi and it didn't help?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanks bama that actually makes me think it is the o2 sensor. I just assumed that replacing a part with a brand new one would rule out the possibility of it not working. I didn't get a csi because I unplugged it to test it out and frankly forgot to plug it back in. Then this morning it didn't fire up right away like it normally does telling me that it is closing and not stuck open. Thanks again and I will get a Denso unit right away, even if that's not the problem I don't want something that's prone to failures.