Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 toyota pick up 4cyl. knocking and squealing??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 toyota pick up 4cyl. knocking and squealing??

A co-worker of mine has this truck, he started one day after work and it was a knocking and squealling sound was coming from the engine. He shut it off and had it towed to his house. It's been sitting there for a couple years. He said give him $500. for it. It's in really good condition so I agreed. He said it still runs,never burned oil and has been a good truck for him.

What might be the problem with the engine? I'm hoping it's just the bottom end bearings, but even if it's more this truck is worth putting in a reman short or long block engine. I will have maybe $2000. into it worse case. Is there anything else i should be looking for or to do with this truck/engine before I put it on the road.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:21 PM

Just a shot in the dark -- but my first guess would be timing chain and guides
Old 10-03-2006, 04:07 PM

I have read about the plastic guide wearing and the chain rubbing a hole in something. I know this is a common problem.

Would the timing chain make that type of noise?

I could only be that lucky!

I didn't even pick the truck up yet. My fuel pump went out of my truck as I was hooking up the car trailer Monday to go pick it up. Fixed now, will get her Wednesday.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Did the motor overheat?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:03 PM

Not that I know of

From what I understand, I beleive he started it after work and it started knocking and squealling. He turned it off and had it towed.

Last edited by spacoli; 10-04-2006 at 01:04 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Sounds like a spun bearing. You may be in for an engine rebuild but if he shut it right off then 500-600 will get you a nice kit from Engbldr and some machine work and you are set to go. I'll take it if you don't want it..........
Old 10-04-2006, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info.... I been trying to pick it up but every day something comes up, hopefully Thursday. I already have a couple of freinds a work with mechanical knowledge (one knows toyotas well) that will hepl me see what wrong and pull it,fix it,drop new engine in, what ever.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a trick: WATCH OUT FOR MOVING PARTS!
Have someone start it, take a really long screwdriver, put the handle close to your ear and the tip on the part of the engine where you think the noise is coming from. Move the tip around until the noise is at it's loudest. That should narrow it down some. You can also buy an automotive stethascope which works better.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Listen to the knocking..... see link to listen

Here is a link to the knocking sound. At first I held the recorder down underneath the truck, if you listen you can here when I move it to the top under the hood.

http://media.putfile.com/Toyota-engine-knocking

The truck took a little to get started, but once it did it starts right up. It seems to idle well, other than the knocking. After running it I checked the dipstick and the oil seemed a little milky.

So what is it?

I taked to a guy today that has done some work for me before and I can trust that he will do the job right. He is a very experianced mechanic and works on the side at his house. He said he would pull the old engine and install the new or used engine for $400. Is that a good deal.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 02:59 PM

I decided to take the engine out myself, here is the update.

I started today and have it just about ready to come out. I think the worst was the wiring. Pulling all those wires though the intake manifold and the wiring that goes back to the tranny and transfer case. It should be a real pain getting them all back in and going to the right spot. Some went up, back, down, across, oh ya fun,fun,fun. Overall II think it went well. I did an online parts request for a engine and received about 7 responses. One is 55 miles away, 93,000 miles on it and a cost of $600.

I do have some questions and see photos below. Is this where I should disconect the fuel line (4th pic)? How do I get the 2 17mm bolts out of the upper bell housing right next to the firewall (2nd & 3rd pic)? I realy didn't try hard, I was done for the day and getting tired. I thought I read somewhere I might be better off taking out the tranny with the engine, is this true?

Picture 5 is what came out of the bottom of the radiator and some of the other low hoses, very oily and sludgy. When I removed the steel elbow that is conected with two hoses from the water pump to the bottom of the radiator, there was a thick oily sludge coming out of it.

What is you take on this cross mixing? Where did the oil and coolant get mixed at? Is it probably under the timing chain cover?

http://www.mytoyotatruck.com/spacoli/
Old 10-08-2006, 04:34 AM

That knock sounds like a piston knocking because it is a high pitch. COuld be the pin or broken skirt.
As for the bolts, what I do is take the bolts out of the trans cross member and lower the trany X-case down. THis will tip the engine up at the front and will let you undue the bolts at the back with some long extensions. If you have an impact gun it is very easy to do.
You will want to drop the trany and X-case off the engine. I just rest the bell housing on the sway bar. This way you don't have to pull it all the way out.

Hard to say where the mixing came from. Could be that the timing chain cut through the cover cauing the mix. This is common for neglected engines.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:03 AM

I still agree that timing chain failure could be the problem -- as far as the two bolts on top, i have a 2' extension with a swivel on the end that i use, if you don't have a long extension you can double up shorter extensions.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 AM

I got the two bolts loose and one out, so I will just remove the engine and leave the tranny.

I found a complete engine with 93,000 on it for $600.00. Is this a fair deal?

It comes with a 90 day warranty. I have to drive two hours to get it. There is nothing close and everything else I found is more and would have to be shipped.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spacoli
I got the two bolts loose and one out, so I will just remove the engine and leave the tranny.

I found a complete engine with 93,000 on it for $600.00. Is this a fair deal?

It comes with a 90 day warranty. I have to drive two hours to get it. There is nothing close and everything else I found is more and would have to be shipped.

Depends on what you want to do.. That's a fair price for a motor if it's in good shape and complete.

If you want to rebuild it (correctly) yourself, it'll cost you between $600-$800 typically... Course, then it's good for another 200k..
Old 10-10-2006, 11:02 AM

What would be a good clutch to get? I don't need a heavy duty, high performance clutch, just a good quality.

Last edited by spacoli; 10-10-2006 at 11:03 AM.