86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 Toyota AC blower fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
93 Toyota AC blower fan

I have a 93 Toyota V6 automatic, dual rear wheels, converted to motor home. The truck cab, motor and running gear is all original Toyota PU with no RV modifications I have had the AC/Heater blower fan out one time before. It is a miserable job for an old guy with a bad shoulder I almost gave up this time and took it to a mechanic!
The plastic fan part rim/edge is broke and causing noise. Mine is very hard to get out, does not drop right out like in videos, I moved carpet and pad but still need to distort the fan to get it out. I tried removing the fan from motor while still installed but could not get it loose.
Am I doing something wrong, is there some easy trick or better way? My fear is I broke or weakened the ring when I reinstalled it last year and do not want it to happen again. I am thinking of leaving the hard to access screw out, would you do that?
Any input greatly appreciated. Jim

Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM

129 views and no response, amazing! Jim
Old 08-25-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
I wish I could help but I have never needed to remove my blower fan.

Just to clarify, are you saying that there is not enough room between the blower and the floor to get the fan out? Do you have to force the fan out by bending the plastic?

Sometimes it just takes some clever maneuvering or taking a break and start with some fresh eyes on the problem.

I would use all of the screws if it were me.

Sorry I was not much help. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Old plastic does tend to get brittle .

I have taken so many blower Motors out they tend to be all the same.

I wonder if you have the correct one .

Other then the one fastner being a pain most just drop right out .

In my case the only way I can get at most of them is remove the door and seat
Old 08-26-2016, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the responses, I was starting to wonder.
Right one? Yes it it may even be the original, has the Toyota numbers on it.

Yes not enough room between floor and heater assembly, I have tried every position I could think of. Had a friend over who is another shade tree mechanic and after some time he got frustrated with it. We are experimenting with the old one, the new one arrives today.

My concern here is damaging the plastic, fan part. So I tried removing the fan from the motor, this is likely a 93 so came off very hard, had to drive off shaft with hammer and punch. Yes I took off the spring retainer and know there is a catch. If the new fan will come off the motor easily, I cut the (as you look at the blower housing there is a grill, the fan and motor are behind and under the grill) grill out and reassemble the unit inside the housing.

If not It will be cut a hole in floor or jam it back in or remove entire heating/ac unit,. I will likely jam and hope for the best.

Friend did notice one thing I missed, retaining screws can be removed with slotted screw driver, star drive or socket, I missed the socket part which may be a big help for that hard to reach screw.

I can't possibly be the only one that has had this issue? Jim
Old 08-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Did you remove the glove box and stereo mount to get more room?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On an 89-95 model, start on the passenger side and work your way over to the drivers side and remove the covers to about the stereo section. It has been a while since I have worked on your generation of truck but I am familiar enough to know the first part of the steps. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...trucks-286766/ Even though this applies to the previous generation of trucks, once you get the dash covers off, maybe you can just LOOSEN the AC section on the inside firewall and work the complete blower section out and get better access to the blower. I was looking at Dropzones thread and your generation of truck has a different blower resistor then what I am used to seeing. I would suggest replacing blower resistors while you have it that far down. Pay attention to the number of prongs to your resistor if you do decide to swap out resistors. Earlier generations have 2 different styles of resistors and it does make a difference if it works with the correct/incorrect resistor.

Above maybe more in depth then you want to go but that is how I work on the blower assembly. While you have the blower out, remove the fan blade and blow all of the dust out of the motor is what I would suggest. I would put all 3 screws back in. It will still sag if you only put 2 screws in. Getting that screw against the firewall is a total pain in the rear. If you go about the link provided, it takes some maneuvering but does not take as long as you might think and is a lot less frustrating in my opinion. Don't do anything under the hood, just on the inside of the cab.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated. I went to the link supplied and noticed that the fan is separated from the motor. I looked at the new aftermarket one I have and poked and prodded and cannot get the fan to separate from the motor. If I could get that apart it would be an easy quick install. Will check the resistor. Jim
Old 08-26-2016, 11:32 AM

Pulled the kick panel and removed 2 gold bolts and one nut securing blower housing and was able to get enough slack to install fan, HOlding my breath as I did it as I believe I was also moving the refrigerant lines.

NOw before you guys go out and have a well deserved pizza and beer on me, I have one more question. I tested the fan and it appears to be functioning properly. However when spun by hand it does not spin freely and stops quickly, is this normal? Rings a bell for me but cannot remember.
Many thanks Jim

Edit: I did install the the hard to access rear screw before putting the housing back in place. Still not easy, but 100's of times easier.

Last edited by jjrbus; 08-26-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:52 PM

I have a 6mm (I think) 1/4 drive flex socket JUST for this PITA job...

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-18-pc...1&blockType=G1
Old 08-27-2016, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by ewong
I have a 6mm (I think) 1/4 drive flex socket JUST for this PITA job...

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-18-pc...1&blockType=G1
I now have a 1/4" drive swivel ratchet just for this job, although I may use it for something else.

Harbor Freight is a short drive from my house.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...het-96781.html