86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 4Runner speaker replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 4Runner speaker replacement questions

I have a 93 SR5 4Runner and I'm looking to upgrade the speakers and have a few questions. Here's the situation: It came with the upgrade to 6 speaker system and radio/tape/cd player. I changed out the factory cd player for a sony and upgraded the dash speakers about 4 years ago. I upgraded last week again to an apline system and figured it's about time to go ahead and upgrade the rear speakers and tweeters as well. I'd like to do this as simply as possible, no drilling or modifications, just pop the old ones out, pop the new ones in, and reassemble, using the factory grilles. I've found enough posts on how to get to them all, so my questions pretty much relate to the specifics of the speakers:

1) what size are the rear speakers...I've seen a range searching around.
2) according to Crutchfield, there are no aftermarket tweeters that match the stock ones above the tailgate. Is this true, or do they just not have my system in their database?
3) There's another set of grilles in the top corner in the back. What is this for? I know there's nothing in there now, but is this meant for another set of speakers?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Travis... I have a 95 runner and share those same questions and no one will answer me so i think ill just copy paste lol.

i have factory speakers that are pretty much all shot now....
my problem is i want to get some kickass speakers and ill pay fairly expensive to get the best.
another problem.. im not the huge electronic wizz, but i can take off the paneling in the front and i "think" i know how to in the back (dont you take off the circles in the back and peel back the whole panel?
i think i have tweeters above since there is slots there that hint at it.
i need some help on how to install

i got this link in another post for front speakers but i wonder if this is a good choice or not?
http://www.millionbuy.com/inf4012i.html

if this is a really hard job to put in, should i take it somewhere? should i buy speakers ahead of time and just pay for labor to put it in? where would a good place to have someone do that be?

please help with rear speaker advice and tweeters and if you could provide links great. i have an aftermarket head unit (single cd player) and it does the job okay. it came with it when i bought it so i have no clue what to do with it.
thanks guys sorry for all the questions.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gathered some more information regarding my problem over the past couple weeks that I think may help.

1. I opened up the back and checked everything out. Looks like there's 1.75'' tweeters above the gate, and 4'' woofers in the back side panels. Everybody seems to say that there is a small amplifier in the box with speakers in the side panel, but I think it's actually the crossover box for the component system. This is also the reason there's only a pair of inputs at the tuner for 4 speakers.

2. It's pretty easy to get off, just start at the back and work forward, the piece above the tailgate with the light will just pop off, take up the strip along the bottom by prying off the circles to get to the screws, same thing for the seat belt retainer clip, and use a socket on the seat belt hanger. There's a pair of screws on either side where the side panel starts in the rear above the tailgate taht need to come out, then the rest just pries off from there. Just be careful because the poppers can break, and they can also fall out of their slots and into the frame.

3. Replacements: I'd suggest Crutchfield...good service and support, free shipping, and they include everything you need for free, including diagrams. I just got an infinity component system that I'll be installing this weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes. The catch is that they claim that tey dont' have any tweeters that fit the factory slots, but this seems false. They report the dome size, which is typically 1'', so you need to do some research to see what the actual mounting slot size you need is...some companies make it to actually be 1.75'', which matches. Case in point being that the 1'' dome infinity tweeters that I got came with a mounting bracket for 1.75'' factory slots.

Again, I'll let you know how things go this weekend when I do the installation.