Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 22re Head Gasket Replacement/No Power!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 22re Head Gasket Replacement/No Power!

Hello yoto Folks! I'm new and would like to say I've always used this website as a good and trustworthy source for information!

I changed my fathers 93 22re pickup head gasket, waterpump, timing chain, and fan clutch. It fired up right away, but I started hearing a sharp ticking/tapping from the vavle cover area, plus the engine was shaking as in bogging. I tried to drive it out but there was no power at all and when I tried rolling the clutch, it would stall. Would the timing be off? I replaced everything back to it's position.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 AM

I forgot to mention that when I was trying to remove the crank pulley, the cam shaft accidently rotated while the sprocket and crank was still positioned at TDC... or is this possible? The cam lobes rotated 1 inch clock wise while the crank and sprocket stayed at TDC position. Would this affect the car and throw off the timing?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your timing is off. Need to recheck both cam and ignition timing. Check youtube for videos on setting timing on a 22re. There are actually some good videos out there...

I don't quite get what your saying in post #2. The cam and crank are connected together by the timing chain. Physically there is no way one could move independent of the other if the timing chain is on. But I guess the only way it's possible is if the keyway in the crank is no longer there...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks for your input Snobdds! I kinda figured it was off, but it was 2:30am in the morning and I had to work today. Blah!!

I'm sorry if post #2 is confusing.. Let me clarify my mess.

I was attempting to remove the crank pulley with one socket wrench, and also used another socket wrench to the bolt holding the cam gear, thinking it would hold so I could break loose the crank bolt. As I was trying to break the crank bolt, the Cam gear bolt cam loose and the camshaft some how rotating CW. I could see the spot marking where the rockers contact the lobes on the shaft. I placed the crank and cam gear back to TDC but the camshaft is still at the rotated spot.

I didn't know that it was possible to accidently rotate the camshaft by itself, while the cam gear and pully can be at TDC. If I put the crank and cam at TDC the shaft will not be in the original position. It will be 1 inch away from the rockers.

When I start the car, I can hear pinging from the vavle cover and the car bogs some what. When I give it a little gas the pinging sound follows.. it sounds like the vavle clearance is off or something.

Sorry for posting so much information, but I've never torn down a 22re before. I have never worked on a timing chain before.. I however have worked on timing belts. Thanks so for your input!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Sounds like maybe the camshaft dowel broke. So the valve/cam timing is wrong.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 PM

hmm.. I guess I'll have to take the valve cover off and take another look.. the truck is now running, but it seems like the power is lacking. I rechecked and I adjusted it to 0 degrees when I uninstalled and re-installed it. I never knew about the 5 degree setting. However, what I did was turn the crank to 5 degrees and removed the distributor and re-installed it back on. Are these the right steps to get the timing back to 5 degrees?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, the 22re ignition timing is set by putting the crank at 5* BTDC (on the compression stroke) and then inserting the dizzy with the rotor and match mark at 12 oclock. That is after the the cam timing (0* TDC) was set when the timing chain was put on.

It makes a huge difference in power and the engine runs like it's suppose to. I can't believe how many people insert the dizzy on a 22re at TDC. Then they will argue with you like it's correct. I think it's a case of "I heard it on the internet so it must be true", type of thing.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still not sure why the car isn't pushing out Torque? Valve adjustment? Doing this on a warm engine after work.

Also, will it be okay to drive with the dizzy adjusted to compensate for the lack of power?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 AM

snobdds, you were right! We re-installed the chain and Viola! The engine is now running Smoooooth like Butter! Thanks for your help guys!

On the next to do list is the Clutch... what's the difficulty level? I've replaced plenty of clutchs on fwd cars in my life time, but never a rwd. Any tips would be great!