Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Did you find anything more on your lost water issues? On the speedo thing, I would suggest unplugging and reconnecting the ribbon cable on the back of your speedometer cluster and down on the tcase, since yours is electrical driven might make sure that the connectors are making good contact.

I learned on the 89-95 trucks before the 84-88 and if I recall right the whole dash cover has to come out. Not bad at all. Just have to start from the passenger side and work your way over to the drivers side. Thats if I recall right. It has been awhile.

I have been finding that when I disconnect any electric connectors that they have build up on them and have started using WD-40 or dielectric grease on them. I clean them the best that I can with a brass tooth brush, scrape them with a pick or use a nailfile or fine grit sandpaper and them lube them and it does seem to make a small difference.

I plan on going to the Post Office tomorrow and will get the cluster in the mail. You will need to get a different sending unit. If your new sending unit comes with a ground tab, cut it off. I had one ruined by inexperienced help on mine one time but if you have your oil changed, it could happen at a quick lube place as it is next to the oil filter.

Here is the one I removed on mine and suggest removing. It will ruin the oil guage if it is connected to it. Also make sure that when removing the old sensor that it is actually turning and not twisitng off. I experinced that before as well. Luckily a guy I knew was able to weld a nut to it and spin the broken shaft out of it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-27-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
nah. never figured anything out on the water loss. just hoping it all stays together until the warm weather comes back. o performance issues though, so that's a good thing for me.

as far as the cluster...appreciate the pending package. have had it out in the past to replace bulbs, I remember it being a PITA, but not too bad. I am hoping it is just some sort of electrical connector issue and will get under the truck to disconnect-clean-reconnect and do likewise with the actual cluster before I say it's garbage.

got some decent snow here yesterday (about 6''), made for a great ride to and from work as well as a busy time at work (lots of accidents and falls to compliment the usual stuff). wife made it back and forth as well (she works about 15 miles farther than me) using the 2006 4runner and it's good tires. she's a pretty seasoned vet when it comes to winter driving, so I was less worried about her skills than I was worried about the novices on the road. over confidence usually brings me business. had a pretty gruesome injury come in last night courtesy of the snow....and the usual irony is that they we tooling along in a 4wd and got hit hard by a car. people need to know when to sit the hell still and let the road crews get ahead.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 AM

so this looks EXACTLY like mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Toyota-...a35349&vxp=mtr

gonna just have to get myself out there and check the cluster out. TERRY sent me one and even if I end up not using it, I will keep it on the backburner because a tach would be neat.

EDIT:...adding some pics from the ebay listing. interesting is that the interchange info listed, lists my truck as a fit. likewise is that it has a speedometer cable. hoping mine does too.

EDIT #2..adding a pic from another thread

and a link to another

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...thread-250546/

Last edited by 92 TOY; 01-06-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM

me....

just got my lazy butt under the truck and took a look. looks like I have no cable. looks like a VSS boo that!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 AM

this guy has awesome videos

PART# nissan 38323-c601a

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts...323-c601a.html

Last edited by 92 TOY; 01-20-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Dork.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

He has several great videos. I think I got alot of his posted on my 88 Runer build. I have them marked on the first page. I think it is toward the bottom. Youtube is great.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
He has several great videos. I think I got alot of his posted on my 88 Runer build. I have them marked on the first page. I think it is toward the bottom. Youtube is great.
I will check out your page.

I regret not putting everything in one place for myself. from being on this computer on this forum and surfing many other places, I find stuff and then forget where I put it. so I just search a lot.

BigBluePile just did the drain-plug mod and it's simple enough that i will probably do this when the weather turns warmer.

As far as the spindle bushing greasing goes, I'm kinda waiting for SNOBBS to post up his experience. he very generously offered a loan of the tool, which I thoroughly appreciate. My biggest fear.....as with anything I dig into on the vehicles, is that I will underestimate the difficulty and screw something up royally and end up with a bigger issue than what I started with.

currently, I have been searching OEM gaskets etc for doing the hub service on Joe's and mine and a SATOSHI mod on the wife's 4runner......and then it all turns to $100+ and I get discouraged.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I did re-grease my spindle bushings this weekend. It was not too bad and it took about 2 hours going slow. A couple of notes...

Get some new gaskets for the hub and a new star lock washer. There are two gaskets that should be replaced, a big circle one that goes behind the hub and the star shaped one that goes behind the dial. You will also need a 54mm socket to take the first nut off of the spindle.

In the following diagram, you will need the star lock washer number 43523
http://www.utoyot8.com/Picture.aspx?...ccode=&ppName=

In the following diagram, you will need gasket 43422 and 43531
http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.asp...6%23%2cVZN6%23

Then it just a matter of taking the bolts off of the hub dial and the bolts and cone washers off of the hub body itself. Then take the gold nut and washer off of the end of the spindle and the entire hub will come off. Un stake the tabs on the star washer and take off the first 54mm nut off of the spindle only. Then there is a c clip and washer at the end of the axel that comes off, then you should be able to push the axel in and out. From the back side you will be able to see the bushing in the spindle. On thing I was amazed by was the amount of grease it took to lube it up. I darn used an entire tube of grease to due this job. The spindle will be full of grease and it will be tough to get the c clip and washer back on the axel. I just screwed the gold bolt back into the axel a few threads and used a long screw driver to lever it back in...a helper to hold the screwdriver will be key while the other person puts the c clip back on. Then the rest is just putting it back together.

PM me your address and I can get the tool off to you...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 AM

I will but stand-by...I'm not ready yet.

I have parts #'s and price lists. Just have to call to order locally.

what kind of grease??
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I will get it in the mail here in the next couple of days.

I found out the tool itself required to be packed with grease before any pressure could push the grease into the spindle. The tool will come with some grease already in it, therefore you won't have to pump 20 times to pack the tool with grease. I used Mobil 1 syn. grease...It is a NLG1 #2, which toyotas like. I found it at the local auto parts store. It looks like this...

Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
I will get it in the mail here in the next couple of days.

I found out the tool itself required to be packed with grease before any pressure could push the grease into the spindle. The tool will come with some grease already in it, therefore you won't have to pump 20 times to pack the tool with grease. I used Mobil 1 syn. grease...It is a NLG1 #2, which toyotas like. I found it at the local auto parts store. It looks like this...

excellent!

looking forward to the delivery.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM

got the tool in the mail today. many thanks!

have to see when we are going to do this, between competing work schedules and messed up weather.

of course, there will be pictures.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Im lost....

I know, no surprise.... instead of reading back, ima watch wuts next, hahaha
Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Im lost....

I know, no surprise.... instead of reading back, ima watch wuts next, hahaha

ahahahah.....gonna service the spindles with a greasing tool SNOBBS loande me. gonna do it on mine and Joe's.

there. all caught up.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Fhewwwwwwwwwww! GOOD! Hehe. . . Swindle the spindle with some SST action! Snobdds be da man!

Best wishes with all that,....... spring is nearly upon us... gotta be ready for some family caravan action at .... wherever is on the agenda for that lad and y'all! Woot
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 AM

SNOBBS....
still waiting to get the proper opportunity to do this job. lotsa things in my face right now.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just checking in and getting caught up. I am not familiar with the tool you are talking about. Could you post a pic of it some time? I always used rubber gloves and packed the bearings in my hand, but that may not be the best way of doing it. Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 AM

here ya go
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/...ol_detail.html

gotta say, with all the negativity that has happened on this site lately and within my life, it's very nice to have the likes of you guys with the generosity of loaning a tool and advice.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jerry and snobdds. I never knew a tool like that existed and would make doing the bearings so much easier and probably do a bettter job all the way around.

I hear you on the negativity but this is still a great site. It sounds like I will be going over and playing with the Taliban again and they dont play nice. Last time I was over there I got some free time and was on the computer and that is when I discovered Yotatech. Somehow I stumbled on your 92 thread and each time I got the chance I was checking in to see where you were at. I got my two weeks back home and I was on the computer and you Brandon were getting ready to start it up and wife was asking what was I doing home on the computer when I had 100 other things to be doing. I said I had been following your build for quite some time and then ITS ALIVEEE!!! You gave me something to look forward to while over there. You gotta start another project now, just kidding, but this site is great and helps out tremendously.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread