86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 4runner w/3vze dead engine - won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 4runner w/3vze dead engine - won't start

Good time of the day, fellow forerunners.

I am up to fix my father's toyota problem and I would appreciate any hints.

There's a '91 4runner 4WD SR5 V6, 3VZ-E engine, not sure what kind of automatic transmission.

Currently, it doesn't start. Last time (about half a month ago) it was being driven on freeway and 3-4 minutes before engine died it started losing power. Then, after 4 minutes, it began crunching for 30 seconds and died. Hasn't run ever since. When I turn the key to "START", the starter seems to click, but there's NO OTHER SOUND made. Also, the "rear anti lock" sign came on for 1st time. Battery is brand new, truck is 17 yrs old, used to accelerate poorly from 0 mph. Might be something wrong with cylinders because it has been running without engine oil and engine coolant last time (at least when I checked them they weren't there).

That's all and I will totally appreciate any kind of advice on what to do. BTW, I'm a noob with cars but understand the main stuff. I'm originally an aircraft geek.

But I'm pretty sure I will feel this in a while

P.S. I have posted this because I haven't found similar cases WITH prior engine failure on the road.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome! I would start by trying to turn the crankshaft clockwise from the front of the engine by the crankshaft pulley bolt with a long breaker bar. If it turns then your engine isn't seized. If it is stuck tight then pull your spark plugs and try again. Still no luck then I am afraid that the engine will need major work to get it drivable again.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 AM

ever do an oil change lol? engine soundsl like its locked if ur starter wants to turn over but it cant or ur battery could just be junk with a bad ground :d
Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 PM

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen. I'm sorry that I can't get back to this quickly as I have rigorous studies. Yes, the oil has been changed many times and there's no problem with that. I suspect the seized engine because the starter is strong enough to turn the engine when it can't do it. So, in this situation I already have some things in mind but I wanted to ask for your recommendation because my ideas may not be that perfect. This weekend I will try to rotate the crankshaft but again, I'm really suspecting seized engine.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:18 PM

well hows this for a go. sounds like a head gasket. head gaskets fail on the 3vze lots. it acounts for your poor running conditions. it would possibly account for the engine coming to a stop due to to much water in the cylinders, basically putting out the fire and causing it to either run so bad it wouldnt run at all or really lousy. the fact it wont start, could acount for water in a cylinder. called hydrolocked. bascially water doesnt compress. so when you turn the key and starter trys, it gos to instant stop. so as stated before you got a few options. but most importantly dont keep on trying to start it if it wont go. you could put a rod through the block or who knows bend or break a rod or w/e else. you should try and turn it over with a breaker bar and a socket on the crank pulley. if it still feels like it wont turn over at all, then chances are good its hydrolocked. iv seen in some cases with headgasket problems that once th emotor stops for even a few minutes, the cylinder fills with water and wont turn over. so that would acount for lousy running, coming to a stop, and the no start. other option and best advice is to pull the plugs, all would be best , and turn it over, it will spit all the water out the spark plug holes, and then youll know that its a headgasket problem.

the crunching part who knows. could be something not related. my guess could be the fact if it could leak so bad it hydrolocked while driving and crunched up the inside.wont say for sure thats what it is but very well could be. i dont know if its possible to hydrolock while driving. if it leaked so bad possibly but i guess it would spit most of it out. but if it filled a cylinder enough it couldnt compress it then that would be the crunching and the stop, and the no start.

also check th eoil for a milky oil. that means water in the oil. or check the coolent. it should be coolent like. iv seen brown coolent in other engines but not this one usualy.

search on here for headgasket and youll find everything you wanna know about these things. these things are basicalyl bionic, iv got a 4runner with v6 that has 450k kms and it runs at like 10 pounds of oil presure all the time, and the damn thing wont seize. so the seizing is doubtful in my opinion. anyway goodluck pm if you need help i guess. but search you will find tons on here. probally even pics of a walkthrough or most steps and common problems.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 PM

marshmallow, thank you for the review of this problem. Well, I've basically solved the problem. The thing was with a rod which tore through the bottom of the engine block and into the oil pan. This is an approximate explanation because I only got to look at it for a second - the problem was with the bottom of the engine. It has been replaced with another one together with the transmission that didn't pull and now runs well - there is nothing wrong with it. Regarding leaks, I noticed a slight slow leak in approximately in the place where the engine and transmission come together and it's some blue-green liquid which must be coolant. That's the details to this big issue. All my words aren't precise, so I wanted to put in this update now.