86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 pickup timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 pickup timing

let's see if I can put out this information right... I have a 1988 pickup 22re,5speed, 4x4, base model.. Fuel pump quit working cracked the fuel line to CSI no fuel. With Fp & +B shorted out I had no power to the pump. Key in crank position.. I dropped the tank found rust,, Cleaned it with a deluted muriatic acid solution.. I bought red coat!! coated the fuel tank as directions say.. , Put it all back together and no start!! Get a code 12 rpm signal,, 14 ignition signal,,. 21 oxygen sensor,, 41 TPS sensor /signal,,. 43 starter signal( no STA to ECU),, 51 switch signal,, 52 knock sensor signal.... Every thank seemed to point to the ECU. So I test it no power or wrong power readings.. I pulled the ECU opened it,,part of the copper lead on the board is fried in half!! I don't know of a power surge, and looks dry inside.. Called the YOTAYARD in Denver,, and ordered a ECU.. installed it in truck,, truck starts but runs ruff,, no power,, missing.. I go to check timing and find broken wire at distributor,, it died when I touched it.. Had a new distributor.. thought air gap mite be bad so ordered a new one.. The numbers on the ECU , motherboard are a match to the one I pulled... I Set timing according to FSM.. I pulled#1 spark plug felt compression,, put crank at 5% BTDC.. ( note timing chain & sprockets are just over a year old timing is on).. Installed distributor with rotor facing up,, it turns to it's spot,,. I line up bolt hole and slot,,, then signal rotor and pickup coil.. Now I had to back up the distributor so far to make the truck run,,. . I pulled the hold down bolt, retarded the distributor, put the bolt in outside of the slot on the housing!! Holding it that far retarded.. ( bolts not in the slot but outside of it) Truck will run,, Runs ruff but runs. wires on cap 1342.. checked plugs, wires,, new rotor and cap. Will only run retarded way outside of normal.. I believe that all is right.. Any ideas thoughts as to why the distributor needs to be that far back or how to fix it?? Any help please at a lose.. every day ride can't get to work.. I am really thinking I need to replace the ECU again but that's another 100$ I really don't have.. the odometer reading is 318267.8.. I did put timing chain and sprockets just over a year ago,, truck ran great after that.. . What am I leveing out?? Any help!!and thanks!! Jim if need be I am at jimszarka@gmail.com thanks

Last edited by J.z.; 11-29-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: More readable
Old 11-27-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since you don`t mention mileage .

Nor any of the codes that lead you to replace the ECU

If all your work is correct I would check the timing chain unless your distributor is that far off.

Then did you have a voltage surge that fried the ECU ??

Voltage Surge or water are about the only thing that will cause them to fail .

The broken wire on the distributor caused no problems before the fuel pump problems ?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:18 AM

id love to help but i gave up reading because u didnt use full stops or paragraphs or line breaks and i cant make any sense of ur post.
i can help u but not till u make that post readable :p.
u must be frustrated and limited to a cellphone touchscreen
Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Thommo Thompson
id love to help but i gave up reading because u didnt use full stops or paragraphs or line breaks and i cant make any sense of ur post.
Yes that is the problem and this smart phone is not smart. I just went and edited that post hit save changes. Thay didn't save
Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Since you don`t mention mileage .

Nor any of the codes that lead you to replace the ECU

If all your work is correct I would check the timing chain unless your distributor is that far off.

Then did you have a voltage surge that fried the ECU ??

Voltage Surge or water are about the only thing that will cause them to fail .

The broken wire on the distributor caused no problems before the fuel pump problems ?
My odometer reading is 318267.7 the timing chain and sprockets are just over a year old. Two distributor's same retarded needed. Don't know about a power surge but that's what it looked like. And no broke wire had nothing to do with the pump.. truck still runs,, ruff
Old 11-29-2017, 04:25 PM

so i think i read that u had no power to the pump which prompted all the problems.
id say there was a short circuit somewhere whixh still exists and u are on ur way to frying this new ecu. Probably salt water in a connector somewhere.
u must take this to an auto electrician and tell them u think theres a short circuit. if u cant afford to do that then this will just continue until u can find the short urself.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:51 AM

so i think i read that u had no power to the pump which prompted all the problems.
id say there was a short circuit somewhere whixh still exists and u are on ur way to frying this new ecu. Probably salt water in a connector somewhere.
u must take this to an auto electrician and tell them u think theres a short circuit. if u cant afford to do that then this will just continue until u can find the short urself.
See now I thought the same thing,so I just cut open all the wires coming out of the ECU. I traced them to there components and omed the component checked wires for resistens and continuity. Cold start time switch is bad.. got one ordered.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 PM

cock. oh well
annoying that that is a commonly talked about replaceable part too haha.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:18 AM

cock. oh well
annoying that that is a commonly talked about replaceable part too haha.
So last night just to be sure big pulled the valve cover and checked the chain. Timing is right on,. Chain is tight. Check distributor and retimed. Dam thang whount start. All I can figure is buy an ECU and see what happens thanks for the help
Old 12-06-2017, 07:18 PM

mmm how about checking this ECU for codes first?