Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 22re starter engaging-not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 22re starter engaging-not turning over

(Cross posted at 4x4wire.com)

I'd like to start off saying hello to everyone. This looks like a fantastic site, I'm excited to start following the knowledge here.

I just finished rebuilding my 22re. After the engine rebuild, with the exception of the ball joint issue, the car drove perfectly. No smoke, no drips, no noises only the urge to gun it. It has about 200 miles on it.

Well, driving home a couple of days ago the blue, in cab light for my brights began coming on intermittantly without the brights actually being turned on. Then a little later the truck just died, like it shut off. No noise, smoke or smells. I turn the key, get all lights (trouble, cab, head, tail etc.) the starter starts to turn but stops like the battery is low, lights go dim, then nothing.

The clamp on my positive terminal had cracked, causing it to come loose. Maybe the battery was not getting properly charged. I immediatly replaced it(had a spare cable clamp) with the same results.

I hoped the battery was too low. So I towed it home then the next day tried to jump it. No luck.

The battery is brand new but all the same I hope it might be bad. So I yanked it and the starter and took them both to Checker to have them tested. Both are fine.

I had recently installed a gauge pack. Tach, oil, and voltage. All power was run through my cigarette lighter with the gauge lights also running through the dimmer under the dash. It didn't work quite right. The gauges and stereo stopped working unless the driving lights were turned on. I cut those wires off only after the car died.

So it's 7am right now in Denver and just 18 degrees F outside with a high of 18 degrees F. I don't think I will be out today. But these are my thoughts not in any order:

--I bent a valve. Possibly during my valve adjustments, I didn't tighten things down enough. Or my timing chain broke. I doubt it. The engine was quiet, there were no loud pops or bangs and the car ran fine until it died.

--I spun a bearing then the engine siezed. I hope not. No, smoke, no noise the truck rolled to a stop in gear.

--I have a short some where. I think I'd rather spin a bearing. I checked all fuses, only the 15amp to the cigarette lighter had blown. I replaced that with no luck starting the engine. Where could a short like that be to cause that problem?

I will probably check the valve train next. Actually I will pull the plugs then try to turn the crank, then look for a short. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dean