Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 runner .Need Help Major Start Issue

Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 runner .Need Help Major Start Issue

I've searched all the threads with no luck. Please advise how to fix this issue. I have a 87 4runner 2.4 DLX, That wont start, It has been having intermittent starting issues for the past few months, but if I would kick the dash, turn the key a few times, push the clutch overide button it would start, No it wont start at all. This is what I have done so far: I have changed the starter, ignition cylinder(Key slot) Ignition Switch(Wire bundle off of key cylinder), Clutch switch(Behind clutch Pedal) Replaced wire terminals on battery. Cleaned all grounds, Ignition relay. I am at the end of my rope any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Check your wire for your starter selenoid? Thats all i can imagine
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Checked the starter wires, Little corr. found, cleaned and re-installed. Still no luck. I read a bunch of posts stating it was the start solenoid so I changed it. It started the first crank, ran fine. I then shut it off to see if I could start it again, And it didnt start. I have also tried jumping the truck if anyone is wondering. Really am lost.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Toyota Factory Service Manuals http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
All I can think of is use a ohm meter to make sure the wiring is good.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Yep somethings tripping your solenoid, good luck man... WIRES SUCK.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Yeah I'm looking up the schematics right now, Aint much of a electrician but here goes. I got to put the ignition switch back together some how and return it, I pulled it out of the column and it exploded on me, now I got springs and copper plates and I have no idea how to put it back together, there's 40.00 bucks down the drain. I'll Keep posting of my progress, Seems like a pretty rare issue so far.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ever check the Starter Relay yet? COULD BE, just a guess.... and if you're trying to start it, and when checking it you find it's HOT AS HELLACIOUS FIRE! lol...Well, it might be a problem or at least a problem between the relay and Power Wiring.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 AM

PS> The starter relay is on the pass side fender fall, almost to the hood, right next to the Injector resister..
Old 04-03-2011, 01:34 PM

My buddy has a 88 runner, he had some starting issues, he changed out his relay, I guess he couldn't hear the click noise, he said he could hear mine working, So he dont think that's the problem. I'm gunna use his just to make sure. That was my next step, I am just waiting for him to come home so I can still his part for trouble shooting purposes. All let u know what happens. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 AM

Hey any buddy know if autozone, oreilys, or advance can trouble shoot the first gen 4runners? I heard they cant because it dont have the odb2 sensor.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChickenFriedMX
Seems like a pretty rare issue so far.
I have the same problems on an 89 4runner. I can shake the truck, stomp the floor, hit the starter with something, etc to make it start. Still no idea what causes it although I did notice that if the starter isn't really tight (the bolts work loose over time on mine) it will have some of these issues.

Luck!

Last edited by Junkers88; 04-04-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 AM

Worn out battery not delivering enough cold cranking amps? Have your battery tested or buy one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp...ter-90636.html
Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Ill change the battery out tonight, Only reason I dont think its the battery is cause I tried jumping it with no luck. I'll check though, I ll check my starter install again too.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 AM

Jumping wont work with a bad starter. NOT SAYING your starter is bad, ...just asking for clarification on that, s'all. BUMPING on the other hand, ...sure, long as the Solenoid isn't completely melted/seized in the 'engaged' position.

HOPE IT'S THE END OF THIS GREMLIN FOR YA, CHIX/FRY/MX! Hate these pesky, difficult to find electrical gremlins! grrrrrr! lol.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM

The starter is brand new, along with the solenoid. As soon as I changed the starter it started up. I thanked god, then turned the truck off, turned the key, then I cursed him. I guess I could take the starter out and have it tested again.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:00 AM

is it turning over but not firing, or not turning over at all? what do you hear when you turn the key to "start"
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenFriedMX
The starter is brand new, along with the solenoid. As soon as I changed the starter it started up. I thanked god, then turned the truck off, turned the key, then I cursed him. I guess I could take the starter out and have it tested again.
There HAVE been starters(reman'd mostly) out of the box that are crapola. NOT nearly as likely as having a 'short' which can fry starter after starter that you put in. The starter, at least in mine, is so easy to get out that I have always just taken them in and had them tested for free where I've bought them.

Not trying to be insulting, ....just asking, ....... Did you disconnect the negative on your battery while removing/installing the starter? And secondly, is it possible that your last starter was 'pulling a drain' on that old battery and just pushed it past it's acceptable cranking amps for being able to start her up?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 AM

Yeah I removed the negative on the battery terminal before the install, We had nasty weather last night so I didnt touch it, Im gunna take the starter out, have it tested, and Im gunna buy a new battery just to make sure. I dont know when it was last changed. As for the flywheel being messed up, I looked at the visble area before installing the starter and it looked good. Ill take a look at it again after I pull it out. Im just not thinking its that problem because of all the weird gripes I was having over the past few months. Thanks for the inputs, I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 AM

The truck dosent make any noise during startup, nothing, no click, no whine, nothing,
Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 AM

I had a similar problem a few months back. I'm not saying this is what your problem is, but it might be worth investigating:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-work-227223/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 runner .Need Help Major Start Issue