86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 rough ride OME fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 rough ride OME fix?

I have an 87 pick up its pretty bouncy one the road I've read an add a leaf will help but the complete fix would be new leaf springs factory springs are pretty expensive. I was thinking since they are so expensive to buy some old man emu rear springs but I'm really confused on which ome to buy
Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
define the bouncy feeling - like it bounces several times after hitting a dip in the road?
how old are your shocks? trucks with leaf springs will naturally ride "rough" - but no vehicle should be "bouncy", it's the shocks' function to dampen bouncing of the suspension. Add a leaf and/or new leaf springs will only address any "sag" in the rear suspension and likely make the ride more stiff.
If getting OME springs, you want the ones for the 86-89 pickup, likely in medium duty.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:36 AM

Yes it's very bouncy. No idea how old the shocks are only had the truck since April. Rear leafs are flat. Will replacING shocks with out the springs not just wear out the new shocks
Old 06-16-2016, 01:01 PM

Toyotas are notorious for "saggy butt syndrome" over the years and the leafs lose their arch. The only real fix for this is to replace the leafs with new, add a leaf, custom leaf pack, airbags, air shocks, "zuk" mod, etc.

No, replacing the shocks without the leaf springs should not wear out the new shocksm, you're supposed to replace them as part of periodic/preventative maintenance. Most shock manufacturers recommend replacing them every 50k or so. Worn out shocks can do all sorts of weird stuff like give the bouncy feeling on the road, cup your tires, etc.

Is this for the flatbed pickup in your avatar? the extra weight of that bed isn't helping - likely you could benefit from both new shocks and new leafs. Depending on how much that flatbed weighs, you could possibly use HD leafs, which are for people with a constant heavy load on their truck (like loaded tool boxes, always having a load of materials, etc). You could also simply try new, cheap shocks and see what it does. Consider adding some airbags too - my dad always had a truck loaded with tools, his remedy was airbags on every truck instead of replacing leaf springs - simply air adjust the rear to compensate for load you're carrying.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its been said, but yes shocks are probably the culprit, they are the component that stabilizes and dampens compression and droop after hitting a bump.

But, just on the off chance I will ask this question as well: What are your tires PSI at? If you are running them at 44psi or something (like the sidewall max rating), lowering them down to the suggested 26psi front and 29 psi rear that toyota specifies tames the IFS, actually improves the handling, and removes much of the jitter felt on road.

I recently did some work for a friend on his toyota pickup and he drove my 1st gen 4runner and wanted to know how I got it so soft and smooth on the road, lol. His tire pressure was the culprit in comparison.

But you need shocks Im sure. Shocks and correct tire pressure does wonders for these already stiff IFS trucks. They are light.

One more question - is it at factory ride height or did the last guy mess with it?

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 06-30-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:55 PM

Yes, tires can definitely change the ride comfort.
For example an E-rated tire will be significantly stiffer than a comparable C-rated tire because it has extra ply's in the construction.
Low-profile tires also tend to be stiffer since they have shorter side walls - so compare the stiffness of say a 33" tire on a 15" wheel vs the same diameter on a 17" wheel.

OP - have you swapped your shocks yet? Pricing is all over the place depending on how fancy you want, but some cheap shocks should only be like $20/ea vs $400+ ea for the high end ones.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:20 PM

As far as I can tell the truck is factory ride hight I replaced rear shocks a few days ago made a huge difference. I have the front ones also just haven't gotten to them yet. For the tire aspect the previous owner had 31/10.50s on 8 or 8.5 in wheels. I'll be changing that next week factory steels and 235 75s
Thanks for the help guys
Corey
Old 07-01-2016, 08:57 AM

Why are you changing the wheels and tires to a smaller size??? That's like the opposite of normal modifications on a 4wd
Old 07-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
Why are you changing the wheels and tires to a smaller size??? That's like the opposite of normal modifications on a 4wd
Mainly because I can get 235s for around $80 and 31s $110 in my area