86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4runner Rear Window problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4runner Rear Window problem

I have read all over looking for this answer and everything I find seems to be about the relay, motor, or other electrical problems. Basically, my rear window motor works fine. When I opened the window today I heard a sound like something broke and fell into the tailgate. The window got stuck at a slant but I was able to push it manually back up into a closed position. It would slide back down so I knew it lost it's support underneath.

I crawled inside and took the tailgate panel off and just as I suspected the piece of metal that connects to the bottom of the rear window pane is completely rusted and on the passenger side had cracked off the window. I was able to pull that rusted piece down and wedge it under the window again. Then when I hit the switch to raise the window it easily pushed the window back into a secure closed position.

I can tell that that whole metal piece that connects to the window and controls its upward/downward movement needs to be replaced. What is that part called? Is is easy to replace that part from the inside of the truck without removing the window motor, and lock mechanism? Also where would I buy that part?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:19 PM

the metal piece would be called a regulator,i dont know about replaceing it but i would call the dealer and then hit the junk yard, I googled '87 4runner rear glass regulator' and got alot of hits try it.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Thanks! I think I need a regulator as well as a channel and rubber filler. I found this post which has pictures of almost my exact problem.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...mber-s-178541/
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM

i have the same prob with my 87 4runner.... but no physical rust damage, just won't go down. Anyone know how to lower the glass maually, i.e bypass the motor?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Are you sure its the Motor? or the relay?